manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
"A RADICAL change to a conference-style post-season is reportedly under consideration as club chief executives met with the AFL to discuss fixturing restructures on Thursday. Radio station 3AW reported the AFL had put forward the suggestion of a so-called ‘17-5 model’, which would see each team play each other once, before splitting the competition into three tiers for the final portion of the home-and-away season. The top six, middle six and bottom six teams after 17 rounds would then play each other once, totalling a further five matches and thus completing a 22-round home-and-away campaign."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...e-with-club-ceos/story-e6frf3e3-1227354802701

Basically, everyone plays everyone once. Then three groups of 6 play off.
Group 1 play for double chance
Group 2 plays for last 2 remaining spots
Group 3 plays for top draft picks

Can't say I'm the biggest fan. Too many questions remain and it could alter entirely how clubs manage their season especially if points are erased after 17 rounds.

Dumbest idea of all time.

So what, if you're 13th after Round 17 you're told "That's it, you can't finish any higher"? Or if you're 7th you have to play out the last 5 rounds with the knowledge that no matter what you do, you won't earn a home final or finish top 4?

******* stupid.

So what, if you're 13th after Round 17 you're told "That's it, you can't finish any higher"? Or if you're 7th you have to play out the last 5 rounds with the knowledge that no matter what you do, you won't earn a home final or finish top 4?

******* stupid.
It is not stupid. It works in plenty of other sports.

It is not stupid. It works in plenty of other sports.
So what benefits would there be from having this in the AFL?

The "fairness" of the fixture should outweigh the "fairness" of being restricted from where you can finish on the ladder because of where you are after a certain amount of rounds?

I do find it interesting that the incentive for teams 13-18 is to play for draft picks, i.e. winning games gets you a higher draft pick

Effectively it's going to be mid-range players playing with the "incentive" to win being for some top end talent to come in to potentially replace them

******* stupid.

yeah the only play it out feature should be with clubs not playing finals... having teams play out for picks in the bottom sides has merit as it will help those teams just outside the finals for years get a quality pick to better push for top 8.

I like the fact that bottom 6 now have something to play that said you'd be pretty pissed if you missed out on the grouping above you on percentage.

It also takes a bit the excitement out of it if the top 6 play each other 3 times in 4 - 10 weeks which is a distinct possibility under this system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* stupid.

I guess the view would be that everyone plays everyone once in the first 17 weeks therefoe where you finish after those rounds is a fair showing of where you are in respect to the rest of the competition.

I, too, am not a fan of the concept though. I'm more a tradionalist and believe that no matter who you play, if you're truly good enough, you'll always make it (Cream rises to the top) and that there's no need to change the fixture set up so drastically. Just have everyone play each other once, and 5 more teams on the AFL's current tiered/weighted system.

I dont like it. We should keep it simple. I like the idea of a Victorian Conference and an Australian Confernece

Australian

Freo, WCE, PAD, Ade, Syd, GWS, Bri, GCS, Tas (NME)

Victorian

Haw, Col, Car, Gee, WBD, Ess, STK, Mel, Ric

After a 21 round season and a 3 week - top four finals series the Premiers of each conference plays off in the Grand Final.

Cons:
1/3 of games each week have massive potential to become a tankathon

The teams that are 5th and 6th as of the redrawing stage are massively disadvantaged to the teams that are 7th and 8th. So you could see manipulation of results around that mark. Particularly if 4th-7th is close enough to drop down to 7th, win all 5 games and make the top 4.

The top 6 playing each other in the last 5 rounds is also not ideal leading in to finals. I really think it's too many big games.

The league should be about 'any given Saturday/Sunday' where upsets can and do happen. That should be the aim. Consigning bottom 6 teams to play amongst the slops for 1/4 of the year is not a good way to achieve that. You might win 3 of your last 5 and finish the year on a positive note but it's just as likely to be a false dawn (see Brisbane currently). Teams should be given regular opportunities to mix against the best and cause upset wins that show real improvement.

I dont like it. We should keep it simple. I like the idea of a Victorian Conference and an Australian Confernece

Australian

Freo, WCE, PAD, Ade, Syd, GWS, Bri, GCS, Tas (NME)

Victorian

Haw, Col, Car, Gee, WBD, Ess, STK, Mel, Ric

After a 21 round season and a 3 week - top four finals series the Premiers of each conference plays off in the Grand Final.
Inb4 North fans abuse you.

Remember all the interest and excitement generated by the 'Kruezer Cup' and the like during that period in the game.

I love it. Clubs will play the season right out and give their fans something to cheer for deep into the season. Instead of cheering for them to lose to get the best possible draft pick, they might now be able to legitimately play for draft picks.

Looking at the bottom 6 as it stands now. The footy mightn't be the best but I reckon the games would be pretty entertaining.

I've been banging on, on here for years about doing something like this, except mine was 17 rounds then split into top 8 and bottom 10, I even submitted it to the AFL a couple of years ago when they were giving people the opportunity to have their say on it.

There was another supporter on here that put up something similar to the OP with the 3 lots of 6. It may have been a WCE supporter from memory.

******* stupid.

Maybe someone else will know but in the last 20 years or so how many teams that were 13th or worse by round 17 made it into the finals?

Which leagues? Not the Premier League, La Liga or any of the other top leagues around the world.

The Scottish Premiership used to, not sure if they still do.

In any case this won't happen - all the TV networks want blockbusters and this won't guarantee two per year between the big teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back