Pubs associated with Stadiums.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know the 'GABBA has a few pubs that are within staggering distance. The Brisbane German Club is across the road and the Pineapple Hotel puts out deals for visiting supporters form interstate. I don't think they are directly associated with the Lions/GABBA though.

For a while The Chalk down the road in Stanley Street was associated with the Lions but it's very much a young persons pub as opposed to a footy pub. The Piney is more a pub associated with AFL Queensland as a whole as opposed to the Lions given they used to sponsor the 2nd tier Brisbane comp pre-NEAFL days.

On most game days you will see fans in each of these as well as The Morrison which is a little further up the road from The Chalk, and I'm sure there are others that I've missed.

Interestingly while watching a Mark 'Chopper' Read special the other day the Leinster Arms Hotel near Collingwood's Victoria Park was mentioned ..as the site of an unsavoury incident in 1971 though unfortunately!

Was working in Midland yesterday, and had some spare time, so ducked around to Bassendean for some Pics.

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

Hayden Bunton Lounge
IMG_0738.jpg

Billy Walker Stand
IMG_0739.jpg

Ron MacDonald Stand, youth center attached/underneath stand on Guildford Rd side with skate park.
IMG_0740.jpg
Undercover standing area Southern Goals
IMG_0741.jpg

Bassendean Hotel, about 5 minutes walk.
IMG_0733.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 142
A burnt out Guildford Hotel

IMG_0742.jpg

Stirling Arms opened around 1852
IMG_0743.jpg

Woodbridge Hotel
IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Commercial Tavern, across the road from the old Midland workshops.
IMG_0747.jpg

Rose and Crown
IMG_0750.jpg

Not a pub, but this building caught my eye

IMG_0749.jpg

Upon some research, i found out this was the oldest dive shop in the southern Hemisphere, and the owner Jack Sue was the son of a illegal Chinese immigrant and Jack Sue was a WW2 war hero.

Joining the RAAF at 16, was thrown behind enemy lines ( Japanese) in Nt Borneo and undertook secret missions, passed away acouple of years ago and the building sits empty.

Sort of ironically surrounded by Adult stores.

IMG_0748.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 108
Love your work fabulousphil ..the home of football the magnificent Bassendean Oval! :):thumbsu::hearts:

I have actually been out there before, not often, but only a couple of times, but after taking the photos yesterday, i did not realise how many stands they have.

Bassendean Oval would hold as many people as a few of the old VFL grounds.

It has a nice feel to it.

Ok, pubs around Vic Park part 5.

Rose of Denmark, Wellington St, now demolished

450x450-GN1037.jpg

Royal George, demolished for widening of Hoddle St in 1970's, 2 story building on right of picture, other side of Gipps St intersection.

249.jpg

Sir Henry Loch, demolished & delicensed 1970's for widening of Hoddle St

350x350-Sir%20Henry%20Loch%20%2371.jpg

Sir Robert Peel, Existing Hotel, Wellington St

350x350-Sir%20Robert%20Peel%20%2373.jpg

Stanley Arms, Demolished, Wellington St.

450x450-GN1028.jpg

The Fox, Existing Hotel, Wellington St

350x350-Fox%20%2383.jpg

Vine Hotel, Wellington St
The-Vine-Hotel.jpeg

Bakers Arms, on Victoria St

350x350-Bakers%20Arms%20%236.jpg

Crown/East Collingwood Hotel on Victoria St, delicensed 1923

350x350-Crown%20%2325.jpg

Duke of Albany, Victoria St, Delicensed 1987

350x350-Duke%20of%20Albany%20%20%2328.jpg

Harp of Erin, Park St, delicensed 1908

350x350-Harp%20of%20Erin%20%2339.jpg

Royal Oak, Victoria St, delicensed 1986.
350x350-Royal%20Oak%20%2369.jpg

Terminus Hotel, Victoria St.
350x350-Terminus%20%2382.jpg

Yorkshre Stingo Hoddle St
350x350-Yorkshire%20Stingo%20%2395.jpg

May have Hotels around Vic Park part 6, if more photos of demolished hotels come to hand.

Keep em coming phil - this is great info. I live in nicholson st abbotsford (close to the park hotel) and love the history of the area

Someone may have already said this but the cathedral is going to get a lot of service due to the new Adelaide oval redevelopment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Limerick Castle/Engineers Arms ( Toninis) Delicensed 1914- Johnston St - demolished

photo taken in 1912

593.jpg

It appears after the pub was delicensed in 1914, and mind you, it looked in pretty good nick in 1912, and well patronised, that Jim Tonini became a local Collingwood councillor, still living in that building, with a dealer and hairdresser now renting out the front of the 2 storey building.

His wife actually became mayoress of Collingwood in the 1920's.

Tonini passed away at the above building in 1947.

Anyways .... just some useles info :)

And some more useless info .... Tonini like many many men in the area got busted for "assisting in the running of a gaming house" :D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8728835?searchTerm= tonini collingwood&searchLimits=l-title=13

Mr Tonini ....a well known bookmaker was elected to the Collingwood council in 1917.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/90291708?searchTerm=tonini&searchLimits=l-title=346

I may also point out that Tonini was arrested with John Wren for illegal totes in 1896.

BTW Tonini is the bloke in the doorway with his thumbs in his vest.

A completely biased guide to Perth's best footy pubs
Like this review .......
Leopold Hotel
Once owned by East Freo/Essendon tough nut Tony Buhagiar, the man who ripped Bruce Doull's headband off only for the Flying Doormat to reach in to his sock and grab another. Plenty of screens and working class banter on the highway to hell - Canning Highway

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/a-completely-biased-guide-to-perths-best-footy-pubs-20130924-2ubcd.html#ixzz2m6ItMp5t

For Sydney , would have to be the Alexandria Hotel owned by former Swan Darren McAsey.

On game days a long time favourite was the Captain Cook on Flinders St but it was refurbished a few years ago and the new look has left it devoid of any soul. The Shakespeare, Cricketers and KB (all in Surry Hills and en route from the SCG to Central) are much better options than the Captain Cook.

cbk

Cricketers Arms, Fitzroy St, Surry Hills

Shakespeare Hotel, Devonshire St, Surry Hills

images

KB Hotel, Foveaux St, Surry Hills

When the Swans play away my favourite is the Courthouse in Newtown, it's a very AFL friendly venue with lots of Swans and other AFL club memorabilia on display, and it always has the games on the screens with the volume up (fairly rare in Sydney where NRL games often get priority in pubs).

Courthouse Hotel, Australia St, Newtown

You probably paid $40 for a steak and $12 for a beer.

Criterion Hotel in Kalgoolie had surf and turf for $20 a couple of weeks ago..... yes that is correct :) , as well as a TAB, a couple of doors up from from the Palace and Exchange hotel.

If I was running Coopers I would buy the Cathedral Hotel and brand it. Sort of like guerilla sponsorship - if they're not serving us inside the ground we'll get everyone drinking our stuff before and after the game.

Thought this thread could be bumped, and i thought i would put some pubs near Adelaide Oval up.

I have one, that i heard was quite popular.

Lion Hotel in North Adelaide.

the-lion-hotel.jpg

Was working in Midland yesterday, and had some spare time, so ducked around to Bassendean for some Pics.

Bassendean Hotel, about 5 minutes walk.
View attachment 33892

Great thread. The Basso is a great place to go to when the Swans are on. Even being not a local but a recognized regular they soon turn a little hostile when you go in there in a West Perth scarf but it's normally okay.

The old Brisbane Hotel was a great place before it was redeveloped for anything at Perth Oval/NIB. $5 Pints of VB and skimpys before the Perth Glory games in the NSL days. :thumbsu:

Great thread. The Basso is a great place to go to when the Swans are on. Even being not a local but a recognized regular they soon turn a little hostile when you go in there in a West Perth scarf but it's normally okay.

The old Brisbane Hotel was a great place before it was redeveloped for anything at Perth Oval/NIB. $5 Pints of VB and skimpys before the Perth Glory games in the NSL days. :thumbsu:

Just out of interest was the Brisbane hotel at one stage painted in East Perth colours ( black and Blue).

Talking about 10 or so years ago.

Country WA has some seriously beautiful architecture. Such classic old pubs. Kal is a cool little town for it – fond of snitz and **** up there too!

Have you got any from Albs?

Just out of interest was the Brisbane hotel at one stage painted in East Perth colours ( black and Blue).

Talking about 10 or so years ago.

I can't remember it ever being black and blue when I went there from about 1998 or so onwards. It was seriously run down towards the end except for the memorabilia behind the bar. I wouldn't piss on the place if it was on fire now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back