Puopolo's goal - hit post

Remove this Banner Ad

Ordovician

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It appeared from the replay, shown just after Barlow kicks his goal at the 20 minute mark, that Puopolo's attempt at goal hit the back of the post.

Now given that the ball had completely crossed over the line and hit the goal post at the back of the post then surely that is a goal?

It appeared from the replay, shown just after Barlow kicks his goal at the 20 minute mark, that Puopolo's attempt at goal hit the back of the post.

Now given that the ball had completely crossed over the line and hit the goal post at the back of the post then surely that is a goal?

Is it a given though? If it hit the post then surely it has not crossed the line unless it has somehow done a 180

I like the idea of this thread and did think about it at the time as well but it does appear to that the lines are marked to go to the very back of the goal post and padding so it can't technically be a goal if it hits the post in the way it did last night.

If the lines were marked in the middle or front of the posts though there would be a case to say that technically the ball had crossed the line completely and could be call a goal before hitting the post.

goal2.jpg

goal.jpg

Say the ball sails through the goals on the full from a kick and then takes an odd bounce back into play then surely that is a score. I've seen that happen and they rule in favour of the score.

Now if the ball bounced back towards the filed of play but hit the back of the goal post then that can't be a point to my way of thinking.

We really need a goal umpire to explain the details of the rules.

Say the ball sails through the goals on the full from a kick and then takes an odd bounce back into play then surely that is a score. I've seen that happen and they rule in favour of the score.

Now if the ball bounced back towards the filed of play but hit the back of the goal post then that can't be a point to my way of thinking.

Once it bounces the ball is dead, so in your example it is a goal.

You're correct. Once the ball crosses the line it's a score.

In the above 3 examples the ball has fully crossed the goal line before coming back so even if it hits a spectator 2 rows back and bounces back into the post it is still a goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if it hits something other than the goal umpire (eg: the ground, fence, crowd, post).
It would be strange if this were true, but I'm not discounting it.

EDIT
12.1.1 Scoring a Goal

Subject to Law 12.2, a Goal is scored when the football is Kicked

completely over the Goal Line by a Player of the attacking Team

without being touched by any other Player, even if the football

first touches the ground.

I like the idea of this thread and did think about it at the time as well but it does appear to that the lines are marked to go to the very back of the goal post and padding so it can't technically be a goal if it hits the post in the way it did last night.

If the lines were marked in the middle or front of the posts though there would be a case to say that technically the ball had crossed the line completely and could be call a goal before hitting the post.

goal2.jpg

goal.jpg

Thankyou.

That is probably their rationale for their ruling.

Looks like the rules aren't fool proof.
Says if it completely crosses the line it is a goal.
But it also says if it touches any part of the post or attachment (eg: flags) then it is a point.
So if it goes a few centremetres over the line and then spins or blows into the post then what is it?

12. Scoring: Goals and Behinds
12.1 Goals and Behinds
12.1.1 Scoring a Goal
Subject to Law 12.2, a Goal is scored when the football is Kicked
completely over the Goal Line by a Player of the attacking Team
without being touched by any other Player, even if the football
first touches the ground.

12.1.2 Scoring a Behind
Subject to Law 12.2, a Behind is scored when any of the
following occurs:
(a) the football touches or passes over the goal post
or touches padding or any other attachment to the
goal post; or
(b) the football passes completely over the Behind Line or
(c) a Player of the attacking Team Kicks the football over
the Goal Line but before passing over the Goal Line, the
football is touched by another Player; or
(d) if a Player from the defending Team Kicks, Handballs,
knocks or otherwise takes the football over the Goal
Line or Behind Line; or
(e) if a defending Player Plays On from behind the Goal Line
or Behind Line and, in doing so, moves off the direct line
between themself and the Player standing the mark.

Looks like the rules aren't fool proof.
Says if it completely crosses the line it is a goal.
But it also says if it touches any part of the post or attachment (eg: flags) then it is a point.
So if it goes a few centremetres over the line and then spins or blows into the post then what is it?
The first part of the rule - crossing the line - is fulfilled, so it is a goal.

The first part of the rule - crossing the line - is fulfilled, so it is a goal.
That's how I would read it. What ever is listed first takes priority, so you were right.
Probably something they need to clarify with an example though, someone could argue that 12.1.2 takes priority.

I always thought if the flag was in its holder crooked or a bit loose and the ball hit it then it was a behind, even if the ball had crossed the line before hitting it. If 12.1.1 takes priority then it is a goal, but if 12.1.2 takes priority then it is a behind. Same for my previous example of the wind blowing the ball back.

Also found this beauty:
12.1.3 Clarification and Examples
For the avoidance of doubt:
(a) if the football touches an Umpire or any Official and then
passes over the Goal or Behind Line, a Goal or Behind,
as the case may be, shall still be recorded;

So if you kick it into an ump, or runner or water boy and it bounces off at a 90 degree angle through the goals then it is a goal!
Edit: hitting runner or water boy would be free kick, but ump is okay

Last edited:
That's how I would read it. What ever is listed first takes priority, so you were right.
Probably something they need to clarify with an example though, someone could argue that 12.1.2 takes priority.

I always thought if the flag was in its holder crooked or a bit loose and the ball hit it then it was a behind, even if the ball had crossed the line before hitting it. If 12.1.1 takes priority then it is a goal, but if 12.1.2 takes priority then it is a behind. Same for my previous example of the wind blowing the ball back.

Also found this beauty:
12.1.3 Clarification and Examples
For the avoidance of doubt:
(a) if the football touches an Umpire or any Official and then
passes over the Goal or Behind Line, a Goal or Behind,
as the case may be, shall still be recorded;

So if you kick it into an ump, or runner or water boy and it bounces off at a 90 degree angle through the goals then it is a goal!
If the flag was sticking out the back of the post and the ball hit it then it would be a behind. The flag is considered part of the post, so the ball would have to pass all of the post clearly before being called a goal. Even if it had physically passed over the line, it still technically 'hit the post', or as the case may be, the flag. I think the difference between your example of the wind affecting the flight, is they assume the ball is travelling on one trajectory. The more I think about it the less sure I am.

In regards to the umpire, there was a case this year (I think) when the umpire got his positioning wrong on the line and the ball hit him then hit the post and it was called (correctly) a behind. It was going to be a clear goal too.

I think even if it goes over the line by 2 metres and the wind blows it back onto the post on the full it is a point.
By that logic if someone in the crowd catches the ball and throws it at the post before the ump has signalled all clear its a point?

I think the hitting the flag thing comes down to common sense. If the ball is travelling towards the post and hits the flags then behind. I cant think of a possible case where it would be unclear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back