Universal Love Purple Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it time to for the PB's to link with Collingwood's Pink Magpies and get the two clubs to play the usual second game(we only play on Anzac day this year) of the year for a Rainbow themed Cup?
I like it. I like it a lot.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a member of the most marginalized group in society, middle class heterosexual white men. loljks

Seriously though, if this group helps people then awesome. I'm not going to go out of my way to talk about how great it is because I genuinely cannot understand what this means to someone to be a part of. If they enjoy it and it helps them in whatever way, cool. They're not hurting anyone except those whack jobs who are still living in the 1940s, go nuts. Their membership dollars and support are worth just as much as mine so let them have their group and enjoy the sense of belonging and togetherness it brings.

I think Jason Tuazon-McCheyne is using this to try and build his profile for his political party :thumbsdown:
I think Jason Tuazon-McCheyne has dedicated his life to organisations which promote inclusion in the community, particularly the inclusion of LGBTQI+ people. He has personal motivations for doing so, but ultimately inclusion is a goal of the league, of the club, and of the community in general. He's doing good work, and I'm proud that we are on board with it :thumbsu:

For those interested, tomorrow is the international day against homophobia, transphobia and biphobia (IDAHOT).

Idahot day is celebrated every year on 17 May to commemorate the decision to remove homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization in 1990. The aim of the day is to raise awareness of LGBT rights violations and stimulate interest in LGBT rights work worldwide.

If you wish to participate in this celebration have a look through http://dayagainsthomophobia.org/ for local events. You may also wish to host a luncheon or morning tea within your workplace.

For those interested, tomorrow is the international day against homophobia, transphobia and biphobia (IDAHOT).

Idahot day is celebrated every year on 17 May to commemorate the decision to remove homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization in 1990. The aim of the day is to raise awareness of LGBT rights violations and stimulate interest in LGBT rights work worldwide.

If you wish to participate in this celebration have a look through http://dayagainsthomophobia.org/ for local events. You may also wish to host a luncheon or morning tea within your workplace.
And further to that, the club is also doing a bit for IDAHOT throughout this week.

Simon Conway said:
Pride in the guernsey
Essendon will train this week in special ‘pride’ guernseys in conjunction with the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia on Wednesday.

The Bombers are striving to be the most inclusive Club in the country and their partnership with the Purple Bombers forms a key part of that mission.

The coterie group’s aim is to assist the Bombers in creating a safe environment for LGBTIQ supporters and players, by encouraging and promoting diversity, and acceptance within the wider football community.

Members of the Purple Bombers held a diversity and inclusion session with the entire Club on Monday and will form a guard of honour as the side runs out on Sunday.

“It was great to speak to the players and tell them what the Purple Bombers is about – and that’s making the AFL a safe place for everyone,” Purple Bombers' President, Jason Tuazon-McCheyne said.

“The players have been fantastic.

“We’ve existed for about four years and Essendon want to be the most inclusive Club in the AFL, so it has been amazing to see the entire playing group, staff, coaching staff and leadership of the Club embrace inclusion.

“I love the Essendon Football Club and the Essendon Football Club loves us back.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-05-16/pride-in-the-guernsey

Personally quite proud of the way this is being done, rather than turning it into a marquee game. Actually becoming a true to life inclusive club is more important than getting it all over the papers and loads of people at the game as far as I'm concerned.

Not to dwell on the past, but it is quite astonishing and incredibly sickening that it took until as late as 1990 for that to happen.

I mean. A disease.

Wow.

Not to dwell on the past, but it is quite astonishing and incredibly sickening that it took until as late as 1990 for that to happen.

I mean. A disease.

Wow.
I'm pretty sure Indigenous people were classed as flora and fauna until the late-sixties, before the referendum that gave them the vote. Knowing that, it's hardly surprising that older generations (not all! but I mean it's classic among my grandparents) have a highly discriminatory worldview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure Indigenous people were classed as flora and fauna until the late-sixties, before the referendum that gave them the vote. Knowing that, it's hardly surprising that older generations (not all! but I mean it's classic among my grandparents) have a highly discriminatory worldview.

Bit OT but SBS "debunked" this a few years back as Indigenous Australians were never considered flora and fauna.
They werent counted as part of the census until after the 67 referendum, and a few states managed aboriginal affairs through the same department that among other things also looked after flora and fauna matters, but they weren't considered to be one and the same.

Jesus Christ! I never knew that, that's ******* crazy!

It's no where near long enough for us to have evolved to not be doing equally insane things right now. God we suck :drunk:

Edit: glad mike14 advised this was debunked

Bit OT but SBS "debunked" this a few years back as Indigenous Australians were never considered flora and fauna.
They werent counted as part of the census until after the 67 referendum, and a few states managed aboriginal affairs through the same department that among other things also looked after flora and fauna matters, but they weren't considered to be one and the same.
Interesting. Folklore says 'flora and fauna', although a quick wiki search (which is obviously not the most reliable) says the referendum was to remove the words 'other than the aboriginal race' from the voting and 'In reckoning the numbers of the people of the Commonwealth, or of a State or other part of the Commonwealth, aboriginal natives shall not be counted' for the population count' which is not the same thing as calling them animals.

I guess if they are not counted among human populations and are not allowed to vote as full citizens of society, while their affairs are managed variously alongside affairs related to flora and fauna... well it's not a huge jump to make really. And it would also explain the offence taken to the word 'animal' to a much greater degree than any perceived similarity of appearance (or whatever people usually excuse it as). I certainly wouldn't appreciate the term if my ancestors were previously considered little better than animals. :(

Anyway, we digress.

Yay inclusion!

There is a difference between late '60s and 1990, though.

Which is not to downplay how disgusting the flora and fauna classification of Aboriginal people was, but that fact it was taken away in the late 1960s fits what else we know about Australian history (particularly things like granting them the vote finally, and the winding down/ending of the White Australia Policy).

This is classifying sexuality as a disease. Really think about that.

It defies belief that this was still the case in 1990 for mine, in a global and supposedly non-political organisation ostensibly about promoting health (of which acceptance and tolerance of innate things like sexuality is a part).

Dug into my ever dwindling uni war chest to grab a purple power training top.
Having known Jason Ball (of Pride fame; not the West Coast/Sydney guy) for close to a decade and been involved as a spectator in the Pride Cup I feel as though I've got a reasonable understanding (never likely to completely understand) of what it is for a member of the LGBT community to feel "included" and not ostracised in any way so I'm happy to hand over some $$$ in this case.
That, and they look pretty cool as well.

I mean. A disease.

Wow.

Funnily enough, in that same period of time there has been no discovery to think it is genetic either.
It seems it is by choice... not that being hetreosexual is not a choice either. They both are really.
Nearly every thing is a choice except for disease and death it seems.

I think Jason Tuazon-McCheyne is using this to try and build his profile for his political party :thumbsdown:
That concerns me greatly. Especially as his equality partys focus is mainly on SSM.
This can send a mixed message from the club considering currently SSM is not legal. (its not illegal either) point being many people who are supporters of EFC but personally are against SSM being legal could see this as excluding supporters with differing views and even seemingly passively saying... "we are an inclusive club and if you dont support the PB with us who support SSM then your not welcome"

Sure there not saying that explicitly... but people dont take all things literally, they read the writing on the wall, and this thing has been building for years with a gradual grooming of fans IMO.. now a training jumper? Its a slippery slope.

For me i dont think the Club should be looking at Inclusiveness,... its unachievable. clubs are not places where we go to "agree to agree" AMong fans there are heaps of opposing view points, and i dont think trying to harbour inclusiveness is the key to a good club... rather tolerance.
Be it you are a fan who is liberal or Conservative, blue collar or white collar, Global warming denier or greeny. You go to the see the bombers because you like the bombers and football... not to be told to vote labour, or get against global warming, or to get behind LGBTIQA issues..

Unfortunaly i just dont see how the EFC or football is a platform for furthering LGBTIQA issues.... no more than it is a platform for forwarding issues of the Catholic church.

If you want to talk those issues go to the town square where it has traditionally done.

Jesus Christ! I never knew that, that's ******* crazy!

It's no where near long enough for us to have evolved to not be doing equally insane things right now. God we suck :drunk:

Edit: glad mike14 advised this was debunked

If you want to be part of a inclusive club, you best not say "Jesus Christ" that way either.

If you want to be part of a inclusive club, you best not say "Jesus Christ" that way either.[/QU

Oh pardon my blasphemy. Sometimes I forget to speak in a respectful tone because I think Christianity is a load of rubbish. And just to show that I'm being inclusive, I think all other religions are equally ridiculous.

Happy?

Maybe it's my early morning fog brain still clearing, but I really have no idea what I just read.

If I've got it right, presumably Bombzrblitz is Christian, Catholic or whatever the "umbrella" term for someone of the Jesus-based God faith is, and is upset that the club appears to be supporting same sex marriage.
He's also drawn an extremely long bow by suggesting that because we currently don't know of any genetic markers that would indicate someone is homosexual, that it must therefore be a conscious choice made by an individual.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back