QAFA (B) Central-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Zillmere 5th spot on % .

Woodsmen wont rest players this week, they run on bare min most weeks, resting players isn't a luxury they have. In turn they will beat Yeronga. Wynumn will take it easy in prep for the finals. Zillmere will take the chocolates in that game moving them into 5th.
There will be no taking it easy this week down at the Vikings. Guys were playing for there spots on the weekend, and with about half a dozen guys back this week, we are going to go full tilt at finals.

Was a decent game, we only got up by 7 or 8 points in the end.

Windy conditions and a couple of club umpires who had differing views on how to go about it didn't help! Neither did a bad or bias job, just that one was very technical and paid everything, and the other paid nothing! No game without them though, so thanks for doing the job!

The game ebbed and flowed a bit, Watto for Jimboomba had a day out - always been a gun, but had a really dominant game on Saturday, particularly at the centre clearances.

We were missing 6 or 7 guys and I wasn't expecting to play due to injury, but we had some late withdrawals so I suited up and had a run.

I think we were up by 20 points with a few minutes to play, but Reddies hit back with a couple late - including one after the siren.

Very enjoyable game after previously going bye, Kedron, bye, Springfield - was good to crack in against quality opposition who have 22 players!

Thanks for the write up Thommo. Just had a look on the AFLQ website at all the results. You guys haven't got any goal kickers or best on ground listed. Any stand out players on the day, and who kicked all the goals ??

Thanks for the write up Thommo. Just had a look on the AFLQ website at all the results. You guys haven't got any goal kickers or best on ground listed. Any stand out players on the day, and who kicked all the goals ??

Well what an exciting weekend of footy, UQ get up (well done boys), the Woodsmen seal top spot (and the fate of either Zillmere, Yeronga or Jimboomba) and spots 4, 5 and 6are a lottery!!!!

Given the home team has to put up results they've either not done it or the Woodsmen didn't give it to them.

QAFL - I would request, nay demand, that you drop up to the bar at Moorooka this Friday night and say g'day and watch the Woodsmen v Yeronga game. I'm happy to shout you a beer or 2.......

At the very least it'll put an end to the guessing game being played by most in this (and other) forums as to who you are..:)

I don't think zillmere can knock off wynnum. So I will go top 5 of 1. Woodsmen 2. Wynnum. 3. Sandgate. 4. Jimboomba. 5. Yeronga. I think wynnum will struggle with the extra body contact that will come with finals footy. And jimboomba will be tough to beat in finals. But unless the woodsmen have a bad game. I think they will be hard to beat. They average 105 points a game and conceded an average of 26 points per game.

I'll likely be down for a look King05 and will come for a beer if you are the gent serving it, up to you to guess which one I am though!

Good stat there Northsider, only conceding an average of 26 across an entire H&A season is pretty impressive - it not just done against the bottom sides too, I think they only conceded 25 vs Wynnum in the top of the table clash.

From what I've seen, they concede more gosls from 50m penalties than anything else - which must really please their defenders.

Jimboomba have to be a darkhorse though after that result, from what I can see on the teamsheet - Woodsmen named a strong side with most of their 'known names'. Mickaopolous, Dobson, Baker, Monaghan, Thommo42 and #16 (the big ruckman - Mcewen?). Only missing Walter and McEvoy, unless you count McDonnnell and Rozynski - but of those 2 it appears only Mcdonnel will quaify for finals.

Whatever happened to Green, in fact both Greens?

Also, I noticed you can now view an entire playing roster on the AFLQ website - some interesting names on the Woodsmen list thst haven't featured in a game. Skubis and Parkin. That Parkin kid was a gun once upon a time and Skubis played NEAFL last year, and again for the Suns this year!

I'll likely be down for a look King05 and will come for a beer if you are the gent serving it, up to you to guess which one I am though!

Good stat there Northsider, only conceding an average of 26 across an entire H&A season is pretty impressive - it not just done against the bottom sides too, I think they only conceded 25 vs Wynnum in the top of the table clash.

From what I've seen, they concede more gosls from 50m penalties than anything else - which must really please their defenders.

Jimboomba have to be a darkhorse though after that result, from what I can see on the teamsheet - Woodsmen named a strong side with most of their 'known names'. Mickaopolous, Dobson, Baker, Monaghan, Thommo42 and #16 (the big ruckman - Mcewen?). Only missing Walter and McEvoy, unless you count McDonnnell and Rozynski - but of those 2 it appears only Mcdonnel will quaify for finals.

Whatever happened to Green, in fact both Greens?

Also, I noticed you can now view an entire playing roster on the AFLQ website - some interesting names on the Woodsmen list thst haven't featured in a game. Skubis and Parkin. That Parkin kid was a gun once upon a time and Skubis played NEAFL last year, and again for the Suns this year!

Mind talking me through how you look at player lists?

I don't think zillmere can knock off wynnum. So I will go top 5 of 1. Woodsmen 2. Wynnum. 3. Sandgate. 4. Jimboomba. 5. Yeronga. I think wynnum will struggle with the extra body contact that will come with finals footy. And jimboomba will be tough to beat in finals. But unless the woodsmen have a bad game. I think they will be hard to beat. They average 105 points a game and conceded an average of 26 points per game.

Harsh call on us Northsider!! We have only lost to Woodsmen and a Yeronga team (with a few extras) very early in the season. Have averaged 99 points a game and only conceded 34. I agree that Woodsmen are the team to beat this year but we have managed some very good wins as well as toughing out a few when we had to.
Huge games for Yeronga and Zillmere this weekend. From how I see it a win by Yeronga against Woodsmen seals Zillmere's fate regardless of theit game against us.
A lose to woodsmen then Zillmere could sneak in if they beat us. If Zillmere lose then Yeronga go through. Cannot see Yeronga beating Woodsmen though.
But we are expecting almost a knock-out final from Zillmere. Should be good lead in to the finals.

On the AFLQ website, go to the ladder for this grade. Click on which ever team you want to look at, then on the next screen that comes up, click view all on player roster. Can even click on individual players from there if you want.

Thanks Pea Nut!! :)

I reckon it could be won by any of Woodsmen, Wynnum or Jimboomba - which is strange because I was a strong believer in Sandgate early on, but they seem to drifting a bit - might be trickle down effect from whats going on in the QAFL for them....!

Wynnum would have to be mentally scarred by the belting dished out to them by the Woodsmen wouldn't they, particularly given the Woodsmen were missing a few that night? While Jimboomba know they can beat them, have been playing them for years and had the better of them in finals for the last 4 or 5 years including that extra time thriller last year.

Or were Wynnum missing some key personnel that night? Seemed a pretty comprehensive flogging on paper.

I suspect coming up against Jimboomba again this year would be the Woodsmen's worst nightmare - they will be happy for someone else to knock them out I reckon.

Don't get me wrong wynnum have proved themselves as a good footy team. Well drilled and have some really fast outside players. But besides the big centre they look quite young and small bodied. Saying that. It is possible for any of the top 6 to beat each other. Which will make for an exciting final series. Interesting to see what yeronga's list will look like this Friday. ? Must win against woodsmen. Guessing there could be a few higher grade guys who can't play Saturday this week so have to play thirds ? Not stacking. :)

Don't get me wrong wynnum have proved themselves as a good footy team. Well drilled and have some really fast outside players. But besides the big centre they look quite young and small bodied. Saying that. It is possible for any of the top 6 to beat each other. Which will make for an exciting final series. Interesting to see what yeronga's list will look like this Friday. ? Must win against woodsmen. Guessing there could be a few higher grade guys who can't play Saturday this week so have to play thirds ? Not stacking. :)
There's no point stacking this time of year really, just to make finals and then the next week get bundled out embarrassingly because the ones that helped you get over the line havnt qualified for finals. But that's there choice.

Where not to worried about our size, on bigger grounds, which the finals will be on. we will use our fitness.

Looking forward to a rematch against woodsman hopefully but ;-)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you have advance knowledge of finals locations?

As far as I know, they will be played on small grounds.
To my understanding the first round is at wynnum because we finished second and the 2nd round is at woodsman. But they're both double headers first game at 6.30 and the second at 8.30. That's my understanding coming out of aflq anyway. The 3rd round round and grand final will be where which ever ground in Brisbane put in for it.

You should know this tommo, your on a committee aswell ;-)

we don't have a ground, so the 2nd round of finals could be anywhere.

From what I've heard though, it will be on a small ground.

There aren't really any big grounds around anymore, not that would be considering bidding for one of our Division finals anyway.

Well that makes it interesting. I have heard that the final May be played at cooparoo though. Honestly clubs would be crazy to bid for our finals, no money to be made really.

Hi swamp.

It was at Coorparoo last year, but their lights are no longer up to standard.

Wouldn't surprise if Yeronga got both the double header and the GF

from what I've heard...

Week 1 finals 15/8:

At Wynnum - double header

Elimination Final: 4 v 5 at 6:30pm
Qualifying Final: 2 v 3 at 8:30pm

Week 2 Finals 22/8:

At Yeronga - double header

Minor Semi/Elimination: Loser of Qualifying Final VS Winner Elimination Final- 6:30pm
Major Semi: 1 VS winner of Qualifying Final - 8:30pm

Week 3 Finals 29/8:

At Kedron

Prelim Final: Loser Major Semi vs Winner Minor Semi - 7:30pm

Week 4 Finals 5/9:

At Moorooka

Winner Major Semi vs Winner Prelim - 730pm

All finals at Yeronga, Double Headers. rumours at present, but its gathering momentum.
League must be banking on Yeronga not making the finals.

I would have thought Yeronga was a lock for at least HOSTING the GF (regardless of if they make it or not). Good facilities, HQ of AFLQ etc.......

I would have thought that would have been enough of an influence to get it across the line.

Any further thoughts on spots 3-6? For mine

3 - Sandgate
4 - Jimboomba
5 - Yeronga
6 - Zillmere

I thiink Jimboomba will rue that close loss to the Woodsmen. From what I have been told and saw from the Woodsmen playing list, that was the game to get them. No Hamill, Green, McEvoy, Shaw, Bruhl.........

Might be a different Woodsmen side this Friday night.

from what I've heard...

Week 1 finals 15/8:

At Wynnum - double header

Elimination Final: 4 v 5 at 6:30pm
Qualifying Final: 2 v 3 at 8:30pm

Week 2 Finals 22/8:

At Yeronga - double header

Minor Semi/Elimination: Loser of Qualifying Final VS Winner Elimination Final- 6:30pm
Major Semi: 1 VS winner of Qualifying Final - 8:30pm

Week 3 Finals 29/8:

At Kedron

Prelim Final: Loser Major Semi vs Winner Minor Semi - 7:30pm

Week 4 Finals 5/9:

At Moorooka

Winner Major Semi vs Winner Prelim - 730pm
From the meeting aflq had with clubs a few weeks ago.

Week one - wynnum, as they are the top place finalist that week.

Week two - woodsman, as they are the top ranked finalist that week.

Grand final - was either yeronga or cooparoo, but seeing as coops lights are not up to scratch, it will be Friday night at yeronga then.

Swamp,

The Woodsmen being top ranked finalist is irrelevant, as their home ground is at Chelmer and they are unable to play there at night.

As such, it is up to them to arrange a venue or AFLQ will do it for them. My understanding is that the Woodsmen pushed for it to be at Yeronga, as its the closest ground to them and the facilities are good. If they asked for it at Yeronga, and Yeronga agreed - then I'm guessing that is where it will be.

although if Yeronga are out of finals by then, they may not want it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back