QAFA (B) Central-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just did my usual rounds looking at team facebook pages, a few Yeronga boys/girls on the Woodsmen page having a whine about timekeeping?

Suggest letting the opposition pepper the goals 25+ times is more of a problem than stray timekeepers at your own home ground.....

Rumour has it that Springfield managed to upset another club on the weekend too, popular blokes down there!

Don't think it was the fault of the players at Springfield QAFL........ at least that's the scuttlebutt.

It is unfortunate the Umpiring has been bought up as it has for the Yeronga v Woodsmen game. Without being there and seeing it I won’t comment except to say the umpires obviously saw something for the Free Kicks/50m penalties to be paid. As umpires we don’t keep “score” of the free kicks and pay what we see as I’m sure my “Orange brothers” did at Yeronga on Friday.
The comment “You should expect in this division the umpires are perhaps not the best” is also interesting as the Umpires for the Yeronga v Woodsmen game are experienced & regularly Umpire in QFA North/South Seniors & QAFL Reserves but due to no games over the long week end put their hands up to do the Friday night game.
I could understand if people were complaining about the umpiring in the Jimboomba v Kedron game because I am the worst umpire in Qld again this year. (the 9th year in a row for this award for me :))

Last edited:

It is unfortunate the Umpiring has been bought up as it has for the Yeronga v Woodsmen game. Without being there and seeing it I won’t comment except to say the umpires obviously saw something for the Free Kicks/50m penalties to be paid. As umpires we don’t keep “score” of the free kicks and pay what we see as I’m sure my “Orange brothers” did at Yeronga on Friday.
The comment “You should expect in this division the umpires are perhaps not the best” is also interesting as the Umpires for the Yeronga v Woodsmen game are experienced & regularly Umpire in QFA North/South Seniors & QAFL Reserves but due to no games over the long week end put their hands up to do the Friday night game.
I could understand if people were complaining about the umpiring in the Jimboomba v Kedron game because I am the worst umpire in Qld again this year. (the 9th year in a row for this award for me :))

having seen some of the efforts from 'club umpires' this year, including one who has posted in this thread - I'd suggest players be happy when they get proper umpires given what is dished up by some of the 'club umpires!'

never really seen a bias club umpire, but they are just no good generally - they also rarely complain to real umpires once they've done a few games because they then realise how hard it is.

King 05 - word on the street amongst some of the clubs is that there is a representative from Springfield sporting a set of binoculars and a serious attitude! Other volunteers left shaken at the experience :)

having seen some of the efforts from 'club umpires' this year, including one who has posted in this thread - I'd suggest players be happy when they get proper umpires given what is dished up by some of the 'club umpires!'

never really seen a bias club umpire, but they are just no good generally - they also rarely complain to real umpires once they've done a few games because they then realise how hard it is.

King 05 - word on the street amongst some of the clubs is that there is a representative from Springfield sporting a set of binoculars and a serious attitude! Other volunteers left shaken at the experience :)

I've said it before, who needs reality TV when we have QAFA (B) Central to keep us entertained? :)

What that umpire was seeing on Friday night was through his Yeronga coloured glasses, and influenced by the pride in his Yeronga hat. He also had zero professionalism about what he was doing as well, talking, laughing and joking with the Yeronga players. I am a neutral on-looker as well with no allegiances here. You certainly have nothing to worry about either Morro as far as being the worst umpire in Queensland, that award was signed, sealed and delivered last Friday. That can not be outdone, no matter how hard you tried. Have you ever umpired a whole game and only awarded free kicks to one team?? Not finding even one free kick to the other side?? I have never seen it before, and I doubt that you have either !!

Speaking of umpires, I think it was our game against Springfield earlier in the season. We had a red head lady and a guy umpire that night and i thought they were the best umpires we have seen so far this season. They spoke to the players in a reasonable, relateable manner. On occasion when they made a call they explained it, not just marching a questioning player or getting mad with them. On top of all this they were consistent in their calls for both teams.
As I said best umpires i have seen so far this year.

Spoken like a true umpire! I'm sorry Moro, but you should have stopped straight after "I won't comment" instead of making a comment!

I watched our first game against Coll. Park from the sidelines and the umpiring was atrocious. I have no idea where he came from, but he was actually overruling calls made by the younger umpire who was far closer to the incidents.

Our second game against Coll. Park I did play in and Macman is right, the umpiring was superb.

As to the bino-nazi, I've not seen them, but I'll keep an eye out. I'm intrigued now.

Pretty good game against Kenmore, though our full-forward has suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung. So he's out for a while. I'm back in though for Jimboomba, having kind of recovered from injury. :p

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening at Colly Park?

started ok at beginning of the year, even accounted for Yeronga ins a close one - they seem to have fallen off a cliff in the past month though.

I know they lost Saver, who is a gun - but are they short on numbers?

Noticed Jimboomba caught the goalkicking bug and kicked 6.17 to lose to Kedron who kicked 10.1 !

Spoken like a true umpire! I'm sorry Moro, but you should have stopped straight after "I won't comment" instead of making a comment!

Well thanks ..... everyone reckons i should just shut up;)

I just hope that if the Woodsmen get this umpire again it doesn't go pear shaped again:rolleyes:

I agree with QAFL Fan. I would think that having umpires predominantly appointed to our division matches is a huge plus over having to field club umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening at Colly Park?

started ok at beginning of the year, even accounted for Yeronga ins a close one - they seem to have fallen off a cliff in the past month though.

I know they lost Saver, who is a gun - but are they short on numbers?

Noticed Jimboomba caught the goalkicking bug and kicked 6.17 to lose to Kedron who kicked 10.1 !

Glad to hear we've moved on from the Umpiring topic. It was what it was. Time to move on!

I believe Colly P have a Hawthorn like injury list. Shame, they are a really good club who deserve a bit of luck. Despite their results they always in there having a go and have some good players on their list.

I noticed the team Jimboomba put out. Some names missing by the looks of it. And still got close.

Question - With that loss, is the top 5 settled? Can anyone make it from outside?

If you look at the draw, I imagine it will be Woodsmen, Sandgate and Wynnum as the Top 3 and then it could come down to % between Yeronga, Jimboomba and Zillmere for the 4th/5th spots. I would guess it will be Yeronga who misses out, purely due to their challenging draw. They would need to beat the Woodsmen in the final round to make it I reckon...

Will be giving this division a miss this week, the draw has resulted in likely 4 x absolute beltings on Friday night and I can't be bothered driving to any of them.

Saturday I encourage anyone to get down to Kedron vs Mayne in the QFA North - should be a cracker!

Last edited:
In tradition of other threads, tips for this week:

Wynnum by 15+goals
Woodsmen by 15+ goals
Zillmere by 15+ goals
Sandgate by 20+ goals
Jimboomba by 5 goals

The Friday night games won't create much excitement!

Wynnum by 15+goals
Woodsmen by 15+ goals
Zillmere by 15+ goals
Sandgate by 20+ goals
Jimboomba by 5 goals

Nice QAFL Fan, I like it. This week though I am gonna have to go with you. I think we will see some pretty one sided scores.

Wynnum by 15+goals
Woodsmen by 15+ goals
Zillmere by 15+ goals
Sandgate by 20+ goals
Jimboomba by 5 goals

No you're probably right, but I don't know about the margins.... I noticed a drop or 2 or rain in the air at lunchtime today. That always brings the teams closer together.

But for mine:
Wynnum by 8+goals
Woodsmen by 8+ goals
Zillmere by 15+ goals
Sandgate by 10+ goals
Jimboomba by 4 goals

Lets hope the umpiring is fair for all, the binoculars don't fog up in the rain and Jimboomba officials aren't reduced to tears by the STM.

Good luck everyone!!

No you're probably right, but I don't know about the margins.... I noticed a drop or 2 or rain in the air at lunchtime today. That always brings the teams closer together.

But for mine:
Wynnum by 8+goals
Woodsmen by 8+ goals
Zillmere by 15+ goals
Sandgate by 10+ goals
Jimboomba by 4 goals

Lets hope the umpiring is fair for all, the binoculars don't fog up in the rain and Jimboomba officials aren't reduced to tears by the STM.

Good luck everyone!!
Well you boys were close, we got up over kenmore by 11 goal. Should have been more but I think abit of self preservation kicked in knowing we have woodsman next week. Crnt wait for that match.

Well you boys were close, we got up over kenmore by 11 goal. Should have been more but I think abit of self preservation kicked in knowing we have woodsman next week. Crnt wait for that match.

I guess QAFL and I will split the difference there then. Although I still reckon that at this level, the home v away factor does come into play, despite the minor distances required for travel. More chance of clubs getting blokes available playing at home than away.

Just a personal opinion.

The Woodsmen v Wynnum match.... that's being played at the Gabba right? Bruce and Den commentating, Special comments by Lingy, Duck and Lethal?......;)

Any other results?

Watched woodies last night. Still look like they are struggling with numbers with injury etc. Lost their gun midfielder in the first quarter and the returning centre half forward only made 3 quarters. With so many players out. Not sure how they will go against wynnum. Will still be worth watching it though.

Wow, haven't checked in here for a while - this thread is really taking off!

Sorry Thommo, all you have to do is check out the team lists. Yeronga definitely dropped at least 3 players down from Div 2 when they played us earlier in the season..

Did you ever think that maybe some 3rds blokes were in good form, were promoted and thus some 2nds blokes had to be dropped? Or possibly some seniors blokes returned from injury, which then flows all the way down the food chain?

I was able to watch the Woodsmen v Yeronga game. Yeronga's ground is always in amazing condition and would be great to play on. Was quite the game to watch. High intensity, physical and some very good ball movement. That umpiring though was the worst, most atrocious umpiring that I have ever seen, and I have watched a lot of footy over the years. That umpire with his Yeronga hat on should have his umpiring credentials revoked. Giving away 50m penalties for pretty much no reason at all, sending a bloke off for who knows what, paying a mark to a guy who dropped the ball and never had it in his hands, and I could go on and on, yet he blew nothing the other way.

We did ourselves no favours by getting a bit hot under the collar early, but at the risk of sounding like a whinger - it was one of the more one-sided displays I've ever experienced. It was only one guy, the other was fine. But I don't recall a single free kick to us from one bloke, but we move on, we go the win depsite his best efforts otherwise and our own disgraceful discipline and goalkicking.

As for Woodsmen's Centre Half Back, as others have already mentioned, that guy is a gun. Took an unbelievable amount of contested marks, and knowing how the Brisbane Lions are going this year, wouldn't be surprised if he lined up for them this week against GWS. He was seriously that good.

We have 2 gun CHB's, one is injured and #4 is very very useful. He has been AFL listed, so he should stand out...

Won't play a great deal for us due to work commitments though. Hopefully Greeny (the other good defender) is back soon.

Sadly it sounds like I missed a good hitout, although from comments here and looking at the score, it appears the final result flattered Yeronga a bit?

Yes and no. It was a good hitout, and we really did pepper the goals most of the game. In addition to the 20 behinds there were another 5-10 shanks that didn't score, including some very simple ones in the last quarter. Bad goalkicking is contagious, as soon as you're having a simple shot and you know your team has kicked 2.10, you tend to get more nervous than you should!

Looking at the teamsheets, no Baker, Walter or Monaghan for Woodsmen, who also happen to have 70 odd goals between them for the year, probably explains a lack of firepower up front, but not the innacurate kicking.

No Baker improves our goalkicking accuracy! He sure does have plenty of shots though, he's kicked about 30 goals 40 behinds this year!

All 3 of them came back last night though, but we lost 3 or 4 more to injury!

From what I can see, the culture down at the Woodsmen seems to attract guys like this - which is good for footy. They now have a team oozing with talent & experience, mixed with plenty that appear to have never played before. The relaxed nature of that club must be a breath of fresh air for blokes who played senior footy elsewhere who are tired of the grind.

We enjoy each others company and the odd beer, like any other side. I think its our training habits or lack thereof that attracts a few down.

We also don't ever go out of our way to recruit anyone, they come to us. We encourage folks that are new to the game just as much as old senior players looking for a swansong.

It is unfortunate the Umpiring has been bought up as it has for the Yeronga v Woodsmen game. Without being there and seeing it I won’t comment except to say the umpires obviously saw something for the Free Kicks/50m penalties to be paid.
I would say most of the 50's were deserved, a few of the free kicks that preceded them may have been a tad 'surprising' on the odd occasion.

As a club umpire, and I suspect you are referring to me, I am guilty as charged. I did a bunch of 18's games last year and felt I went ok, but the 2 games i've done this year in this league I knew I had a shocker. I did the Kedron game for us, and twice I paid marks 'in anticipation' and then the blokes dropped chest marks cold. I just admitted the error and balled it up. Unfortunately both times, I was paying marks to my own team, which made it worse.

I don't have any issues with mistakes or even bad umpiring, its the occasional obviously bias one that is frustrating - mostly been weeded out over the years though.

Watched woodies last night. Still look like they are struggling with numbers with injury etc. Lost their gun midfielder in the first quarter and the returning centre half forward only made 3 quarters. With so many players out. Not sure how they will go against wynnum. Will still be worth watching it though.

We had 21 last night and finished with 15 fit ones and 2 at about 80%. We should get a few back next week, but losing Dobbo to a calf will hurt us in the midfield, he's been a standout this year.

Onwards an upwards, its not like we're not used to it!

Last time I played at the Gabba it was for an U19's Grand Final, playing for Zillmere against Southport. We got smashed on the field and on the scoreboard. So I am happy to play this game somewhere else thanks!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back