QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

10 is much better for improving the overall standard Stuyd - confines the talent to a smaller number of teams. I suppose we could argue the point as to which 10 clubs would be best suited to being in that mix but I feel that the standard they are eventually trying to reach is such that the QAFL is a legitimate State league that recruiters can look at with the same sort of line as SANFL/WAFL.

Aspley obviously here to stay, however as a local football lover, you would prefer to see a higher ratio of local talent on their list. Hopefully Tasmania getting an AFL license stops the talent drain, but with the TSL disbanding, who knows?

Sherwood and Grange would have to be under pressure, both only had one good year in the last 6 or 7 - but also well established bases, good locations and strong clubs.

Redland would be the natural one to drop out, 90% of their list aren't local, they have residual strength from NEAFL days that will slowly dry up and they aren't a strong junior club. How many of them actually live within 20 minutes of the club?

Having said that, I reckon 11 clubs is good. A club bye is a good thing at this level, allows players to make plans for life outside footy without being frowned at!

Aspley obviously here to stay, however as a local football lover, you would prefer to see a higher ratio of local talent on their list. Hopefully Tasmania getting an AFL license stops the talent drain, but with the TSL disbanding, who knows?

Sherwood and Grange would have to be under pressure, both only had one good year in the last 6 or 7 - but also well established bases, good locations and strong clubs.

Redland would be the natural one to drop out, 90% of their list aren't local, they have residual strength from NEAFL days that will slowly dry up and they aren't a strong junior club. How many of them actually live within 20 minutes of the club?

Having said that, I reckon 11 clubs is good. A club bye is a good thing at this level, allows players to make plans for life outside footy without being frowned at!
Yea I'm of the same mindset about a bye Miller. Mind you i think 18 games + 2 whole round byes are best.

8 out of 22 are juniors' and a another 8 have played for many years - think again.

10 is much better for improving the overall standard Stuyd - confines the talent to a smaller number of teams. I suppose we could argue the point as to which 10 clubs would be best suited to being in that mix but I feel that the standard they are eventually trying to reach is such that the QAFL is a legitimate State league that recruiters can look at with the same sort of line as SANFL/WAFL.
Smy,
I hear what you are saying and do not say you are wrong .. but I ask ,, does having 10 sides really improve the standard,, I dont think it does in comparsion to having 12 sides ,, having 12 sides allows more good players to come into the into the comp recruiting wise and allows for the young players with plenty of potential to get a few games in the seniors as a path to their development.
I feel the standard of the QAFL has risen very much in the past 2 seasons becauce of having 12 clubs.
Also , imo , 11 clubs is a pain in the butt,, and clubs as a whole do not like the bye scenario.
And the inclusion and growth of the female teams within the comp are a big bonus to clubs

Smy,
I hear what you are saying and do not say you are wrong .. but I ask ,, does having 10 sides really improve the standard,, I dont think it does in comparsion to having 12 sides ,, having 12 sides allows more good players to come into the into the comp recruiting wise and allows for the young players with plenty of potential to get a few games in the seniors as a path to their development.
I feel the standard of the QAFL has risen very much in the past 2 seasons becauce of having 12 clubs.
Also , imo , 11 clubs is a pain in the butt,, and clubs as a whole do not like the bye scenario.
And the inclusion and growth of the female teams within the comp are a big bonus to clubs
I’ve heard that Southport may not be in the VFL within the next few years with the afl looking to make it a national twos comp. Would raise the standard but that would make 13 teams so would the be bumping someone out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did that play out?

Well a team that had 15+ players with 50+ games of NEAFL and/or VFL experience was running around at 44 points on Grand Final day, so it didn't work out very well!

Anyone else wants to get 15 of them, and thats 75 points with 7 spots still left to fill!

Well a team that had 15+ players with 50+ games of NEAFL and/or VFL experience was running around at 44 points on Grand Final day, so it didn't work out very well!

Anyone else wants to get 15 of them, and thats 75 points with 7 spots still left to fill!
And the other mob had 14 with 42 points.
Then you get the teams with points concessions because they have VFL listed players, but that isn't equal across teams either.
Not sure what the answer is because everyone wants to see a stronger competition.
But the continual complaining on here is getting boring.

Agreed, but its a valid argument. Simple fix would have been only counting games at QAFL level or lower as time served for points concessions. Otherwise, not much else they could have done.

To make the competition stronger, and QLD footy stronger - more needs to be done to retain and develop local talent

Where are the likes of Scheer, Haberer, Tozer, Conroy, Johnston, Crozier, Fitzpatrick, Tasker, Quint, Currie, Marsh, Greenwool etc etc?

Kids that have played Allies or been prominent performers for QLD in the last 5 years and none of them playing footy in the QAFL or in many cases at all? Those are just names that come to mind, there are probably 50 more!

The talent drain is right there for all to see - what are they doing?

Agreed, but its a valid argument. Simple fix would have been only counting games at QAFL level or lower as time served for points concessions. Otherwise, not much else they could have done.

To make the competition stronger, and QLD footy stronger - more needs to be done to retain and develop local talent

Where are the likes of Scheer, Haberer, Tozer, Conroy, Johnston, Crozier, Fitzpatrick, Tasker, Quint, Currie, Marsh, Greenwool etc etc?

Kids that have played Allies or been prominent performers for QLD in the last 5 years and none of them playing footy in the QAFL or in many cases at all? Those are just names that come to mind, there are probably 50 more!

The talent drain is right there for all to see - what are they doing?
Don't think the levels of money are such in Qld footy that blokes who miss out at the last hurdle suddenly see QAFL footy as a great alternative. Whereas in Vic (as an example) a kid misses out on a AFL list and potentially within 2 years are being paid $500+ / game. You can try and bang on as often as you like to teach kids to "love the game, not the trappings" but for many, the only reason they are playing is to get to the pointy end and if they don't then other options become viable.

BTW - like your solution to the points debacle.

Don't think the levels of money are such in Qld footy that blokes who miss out at the last hurdle suddenly see QAFL footy as a great alternative. Whereas in Vic (as an example) a kid misses out on a AFL list and potentially within 2 years are being paid $500+ / game. You can try and bang on as often as you like to teach kids to "love the game, not the trappings" but for many, the only reason they are playing is to get to the pointy end and if they don't then other options become viable.

BTW - like your solution to the points debacle.
this has been true forever though, yes part of it is a cultural shift where kids move onto other things but there's also wayyyy less connection with clubs now as the really good ones spend so much of their time outside the club at academies etc

this has been true forever though, yes part of it is a cultural shift where kids move onto other things but there's also wayyyy less connection with clubs now as the really good ones spend so much of their time outside the club at academies etc
Yes - I would agree with that Lensen. I'm not sure what the solution to that is except to continue to encourage the player to understand that the odds of being with their club for the remainder of their football career as distinct an AFL career is significantly weighted in favour. of the club

Yes - I would agree with that Lensen. I'm not sure what the solution to that is except to continue to encourage the player to understand that the odds of being with their club for the remainder of their football career as distinct an AFL career is significantly weighted in favour. of the club
SMY. Agreed. Do you think that this is ever advised to these young players?

Maybe if the Academies had a KPI of graduating players still being in senior footy (at any level) in 3-4 years later they’d work with the clubs to do so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back