QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Can only take him at face value, he'd be getting well over 40k based on our discussions with him.

Would have to use the perfectly legal Assistant Coach loophole to make that work.

Can only take him at face value, he'd be getting well over 40k based on our discussions with him.

Would have to use the perfectly legal Assistant Coach loophole to make that work.
thommo,, yes for sure ,, but theres no announcement that this is the case ,, and how many coaches can a club have to use this method of how much salary cap applies

You are allowed one on that arrangement.

I thought only half their payments counted, but a former footy director at another QAFL club told me yesterday he thinks it's capped at 10k.

So if you pay 40k, it's 10k coaching and 30k in the playing cap. Leaves you 50k for the rest of the list.

You are allowed one on that arrangement.

I thought only half their payments counted, but a former footy director at another QAFL club told me yesterday he thinks it's capped at 10k.

So if you pay 40k, it's 10k coaching and 30k in the playing cap. Leaves you 50k for the rest of the list.
Geez,, so say 50k left to spread so to speak .. wow makes a thin line hey ,, Lets look at Palmy with the recruiting of Tom Hickey and Aaron Hall ,, so whats left in their salary cap after paying these 2. .. dont get me wrong Im not bagging clubs here , Im just interested in how all this is done and is spending so much on 2 or 3 recruits really worth it especially if the contract is only for a season !!!!

Lagging Behind,
absolutely are aware of all the items youve mentioned. My comments are going off reports that Mathieson made it loud and clear he wanted cash/ player payments only... No less than 60k were the
Geez,, so say 50k left to spread so to speak .. wow makes a thin line hey ,, Lets look at Palmy with the recruiting of Tom Hickey and Aaron Hall ,, so whats left in their salary cap after paying these 2. .. dont get me wrong Im not bagging clubs here , Im just interested in how all this is done and is spending so much on 2 or 3 recruits really worth it especially if the contract is only for a season !!!!
You aren’t bagging them you are just whinging so it’s time to move on I reckon.

Maybe get your club to recruit better or be in the market for these players and then you can see how clubs make it happen.

You aren’t bagging them you are just whinging so it’s time to move on I reckon.

Maybe get your club to recruit better or be in the market for these players and then you can see how clubs make it happen.
I notice Dean Warren Head of Football and VP now GK - no more respected person in Qld footy imo. Has he been doing that role long now?

I notice Dean Warren Head of Football and VP now GK - no more respected person in Qld footy imo. Has he been doing that role long now?

not the same guy, but the 'real' one was pretty helpful with some facility upgrades too!

This is a great get from Grange, makes them a contender for sure in my opinion. Given Redland have lost their best player, and also look to have lost Aston (though even if Sharks listed, reckon he plays QAFL almost every week), would think Grange a good contender to knock Aspley off the perch who lost a few.

The big movers seem to be Labrador and Surfers, good signings and probably have 2 of the better coaches going around.

Noosa and Sherwood look ordinary, don't think Rich makes a big difference and Sherwood announced a series of plodders to an already average team.

Whinge about the Cap all you like, every club would have known what it needs to get Matho over the line, they all would have made questionable offers that push various rules and boundaries. Don't get offended when the other club put in a better offer, as I understand it, he was there for the taking and simply went to the highest bidder. Grange got close enough to sniff it this year, so maybe a few players offered to take a cut to get him in? Don't presume to know what is happening at each club.

Swings and roundabouts at each team as always, but Aspley and RBVP were still 10 goals better than the rest last year. Big gap to make up. And the favourable points allocations to these two teams is still going to take a few more years to work through. Good luck to the rest.

Swings and roundabouts at each team as always, but Aspley and RBVP were still 10 goals better than the rest last year. Big gap to make up. And the favourable points allocations to these two teams is still going to take a few more years to work through. Good luck to the rest.
Aspley a 10 to 12 goal better side then all others except Redland,but still a 7 or 8 goal better then them as proved in the Granny

Only query on Grange is that thzt have a pretty talented core of youth coming through 17s and Colts.

Have added 6-8 more recruits from interstate or NQ. Do these kids hang around wondering when they get an opportunity, or do they move on?

not the same guy, but the 'real' one was pretty helpful with some facility upgrades too!

This is a great get from Grange, makes them a contender for sure in my opinion. Given Redland have lost their best player, and also look to have lost Aston (though even if Sharks listed, reckon he plays QAFL almost every week), would think Grange a good contender to knock Aspley off the perch who lost a few.

The big movers seem to be Labrador and Surfers, good signings and probably have 2 of the better coaches going around.

Noosa and Sherwood look ordinary, don't think Rich makes a big difference and Sherwood announced a series of plodders to an already average team.

Whinge about the Cap all you like, every club would have known what it needs to get Matho over the line, they all would have made questionable offers that push various rules and boundaries. Don't get offended when the other club put in a better offer, as I understand it, he was there for the taking and simply went to the highest bidder. Grange got close enough to sniff it this year, so maybe a few players offered to take a cut to get him in? Don't presume to know what is happening at each club.
who have Redlands lost?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have added 6-8 more recruits from interstate or NQ. Do these kids hang around wondering when they get an opportunity, or do they move on?
Can't say for sure on the interstate recruits, but in terms of those from the north if they don't get opportunities on field but find something secure employment wise off field, they're more likely to be lost to the game as opposed to dropping divisions or returning "home".

Heard today Stuyd that numbers on the track at the Vultures very strong up until Christmas.Over 55 players have trained pre Christmas with a constant of 45 most nights.The person I spoke with from the club sounded very positive👍
Thanks Noosa Boy,, positive news for the Vultures

Just had a look at the Granges recruits ,, very impressive ,
1; Rhys Mathieson . will be unreal
2; Tex Korewha- looks good - Vic counry and Ntfl gun
-3; Daniel Weetea- looks good- ntfl gun
4; Ben Mcguiness - Eastlakes captain in Canberra- good resume
5; Ben Taylor - vic country and NTFL ..
6; Jack Raines - Vfl listed played 4 games for Collingwood VFL in 2022 otherwise plays in the EDFL .
7; Ethan Rosin- Eastlakes ACT regular senior player
8;Matthew Pearce ; Mt Gravatt ruckman .

plus they have about 4 players now VFL listed , so if they are not playing VFL will be available for the Grange I believe.( not sure )
Very impressive recruiting ,, plus I think they have retained a lot of their list from 2023 ,,
If the majority of these recruits can provide added value... the Grange are going to be a tough side to beat.

who have Redlands lost?

Franks. He is their best player. If they have also lost Aston, then thats 70 touches a week out of the middle for them!

Can't say for sure on the interstate recruits, but in terms of those from the north if they don't get opportunities on field but find something secure employment wise off field, they're more likely to be lost to the game as opposed to dropping divisions or returning "home".

I'm not talking about those blokes. I am talking about the kids who come up through the junior club and can't get a gig due to all the recruits. do they stick around and stay patient, or do they go play QFA or seek opportunity at another club?

they still had 7-8 local juniors in their Prelim team, mix of their own and a few Kedron/Zillmere kids.

Not the worst ratio.

they still had 7-8 local juniors in their Prelim team, mix of their own and a few Kedron/Zillmere kids.

Not the worst ratio.
30% should be a ratio to aim for in seniors, plus 70% of ressies still developing in that 19-22 age group. That would make your total squad 50%

30% should be a ratio to aim for in seniors, plus 70% of ressies still developing in that 19-22 age group. That would make your total squad 50%
Not sure we will ever get those ratios.We won back to back flags in 2020/2021 in the Div 1 comp and only 3 of them still playing at Noosa.
So transient,even moreso now as Southern comps re establish themselves post covid!
Always been the same although the above stat quite alarming!And certainly not a ‘points system’ friendly stat🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back