Quirks of the draw

Remove this Banner Ad

First bit is incredibly wrong

That makes no sense, you can't keep playing those teams away because of a projected poor crowd. They've hosted WCE & GC, they'd pull the same crowd as the lions/dockers would. You think GWS haven't hosted Hawthorn because they're a top four team, please explain how that makes sense.

It doesn't, but some teams have to be marked. It's the AFL/corrupt way. Ie. Rigging the draw for derbies/higher drawing match-ups.

Plus most know that poor teams play the better teams less-equalisation. The draw is not random.

First bit is incredibly wrong

That makes no sense, you can't keep playing those teams away because of a projected poor crowd. They've hosted WCE & GC, they'd pull the same crowd as the lions/dockers would. You think GWS haven't hosted Hawthorn because they're a top four team, please explain how that makes sense.

I think GWS haven't hosted Hawthorn because the AFL would like GWS to be as competitive as possible at home. Probably explains the absence of Fremantle too

havent seen the hawks in brissie for about 6 years

this sort of thing isn't a quirk, it's bullshit. farcical and it simply shouldn't happen.

every club should host/travel to another club at least once every 3 years. no excuse for it not to happen.

With away games against both the Crows and Power all but confirmed, 2015 will be the third season in a row that Hawthorn travel to SA twice.

Word is that they will travel to NSW twice too.

This leaves one interstate trip to either WA or QLD.

It looks highly likely that 2015 will be the SEVENTH season in a row that Hawthorn don't play Brisbane at the Gabba.

This would have to be some sort of record, the only one that I can think of that comes close is North Melbourne not playing any home games against Fremantle from 2004-2008.

With away games against both the Crows and Power all but confirmed, 2015 will be the third season in a row that Hawthorn travel to SA twice.

Word is that they will travel to NSW twice too.

This leaves one interstate trip to either WA or QLD.

It looks highly likely that 2015 will be the SEVENTH season in a row that Hawthorn don't play Brisbane at the Gabba.

This would have to be some sort of record, the only one that I can think of that comes close is North Melbourne not playing any home games against Fremantle from 2004-2008.

What makes this sequence even more remarkable is that Hawthorn played at the Gabba for 15 consecutive seasons from 94-08, plus one year (06) when we played Brisbane in Queensland twice, due to a home game at Carrara while the MCG was unavailable during the Comm Games.

After that sort of run you think we'd be entitled to a break of sorts from venturing up north, but 8 straight years is probably a bit extreme!!

One thing as a freo fan that we expect when the fixtures come out is that we have to travel to Sydney to play the swans and surprise, surprise next season is no exception.
[snip]
Obviously this means Sydney always have to play the eagles in Perth as they are required to travel west once a season but it would be nice for the AFL to mix it up as we still won't have played at Skoda Stadium in three years.

True. We do play you in Perth next year, but you also play us in Sydney. I guess they could have given you a year off playing us in Sydney, but wanted the double-up between two similarly ranked teams.

[In reference to total air travel kms]
Also what is the 50 km difference between Pies and Blues/Bombers? Is that the difference between the SCG and Skoda or something?

Would be the difference between Gold Coast (Coolangatta) and Brisbane, I would think. Teams playing in Sydney would all fly into Kingsford Smith.

Interestingly, Sydney have no Sunday games in Sydney. I wonder if that's a genuine quirk, or if the AFL have decided that the Sunday timeslot doesn't work in Sydney.

Last edited:
Halcyon eh? Last time I saw that word on here it was probably mid 00's also.

tEUzNQd.png

I think GWS haven't hosted Hawthorn because the AFL would like GWS to be as competitive as possible at home. Probably explains the absence of Fremantle too

I know this sounds so naive but it's just astounding that the governing body of a sport more than likely acts in the interest of one team over another in situations like this. Absolutely ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this sounds so naive but it's just astounding that the governing body of a sport more than likely acts in the interest of one team over another in situations like this. Absolutely ridiculous.

They've been more obvious in other years...

In 2011, Gold Coast played Hawthorn, Geelong and Adelaide twice - 3 teams they'd recruited players from

In 2012, GWS didn't play any of the top sides twice as Gold Coast had been uncompetitive. GWS managed to host nearly all the sides that would be most likely to draw a crowd: Swans, Bombers, Pies, Crows, Eagles, Tigers. GWS also managed to host 5 of the bottom 6 from the previous year: Gold Coast, Port, Adelaide, Melbourne & Richmond

Do you seriously think the 2012 GWS fixture was just a bit lucky it ticked all the boxes the AFL would have wanted it to in regards to helping GWS out????

They've been more obvious in other years...

In 2011, Gold Coast played Hawthorn, Geelong and Adelaide twice - 3 teams they'd recruited players from

In 2012, GWS didn't play any of the top sides twice as Gold Coast had been uncompetitive. GWS managed to host nearly all the sides that would be most likely to draw a crowd: Swans, Bombers, Pies, Crows, Eagles, Tigers. GWS also managed to host 5 of the bottom 6 from the previous year: Gold Coast, Port, Adelaide, Melbourne & Richmond

Do you seriously think the 2012 GWS fixture was just a bit lucky it ticked all the boxes the AFL would have wanted it to in regards to helping GWS out????

Yeah i was agreeing with you. I find it ridiculous.

Last edited:

Naive :thumbsu: what should be their approach given the big investment in making the sport relevant nationally? 18 games at one venue, aka the GF venue, this sort of ridiculous?

Etihad is a great stadium... the "hate" it gets is because it's simply not the MCG and it gets fixtures that are more deserving at the MCG.
And ludicrously expensive to park there. A lot of people in South Eastern Melbourne find it too hard, plus some residual anger about loss of Waverley (yes I know 20 yrs ago).

Etihad is a great stadium... the "hate" it gets is because it's simply not the MCG and it gets fixtures that are more deserving at the MCG.
Etihad is great, if you come from Perth!

In reality, a crowd of 10k and it takes an hr to get out, especially with the skyscrapers being built around it
It's quicker to walk to flinders from the mcg than it is southern cross from docklands

In reality, a crowd of 10k and it takes an hr to get out, especially with the skyscrapers being built around it
It's quicker to walk to flinders from the mcg than it is southern cross from docklands

What a load of crap. I've been to the ground about 10 times, a couple of which were 40k crowds and a few sub 20k crowds. When it's less than half full it's easy to walk around and leave. With a big crowd there is a bottleneck to get over the bridge to SC station, but it's maybe a 5 minute slow walk.

If that deters you from going to the footy then you may as well microwave your membership.

Don't exaggerate. A sellout is slow to get out of, like most places.
And it's no worse than trying to get onto Richmond after a busy game at the MCG.

I just noticed that our game against Brisbane this week will be the first time we've played them in 44 H & A rounds - Rd 1 2014 to Rd 22 2015.

In fact, since Rd 15 2013 we've played the Lions just once, while playing the Swans and Cats seven times each over that period (5 x H & A, 2 x finals).

Quirks are going to happen in an 18 team/22 game fixture, but that disparity in games played over such a lengthy period seems a little extreme.

Are there similar examples involving other teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back