Preview R5: St Kilda v Essendon (game day thread now open)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coach bashing line wasnt aimed at everybody questioning some coaching decisions . Nothing wrong with talking about concerns :thumbsu:
I just thought the RICHO YOU SPUD was a harsh.
Too many people on here that praise Richo one week and then absolutely roast him the week after.

Still think a lot of people are too harsh on Delaney, what do you expect him to do? Keep a key forward to 0 goals when the forward 50 entries against us are ridiculous? He needs to be in our team, because he can play, just needs a bit more help from the defensive side of things from our midifielders. However, I would like to see Hugh come into the team, seems like he has been playing really well from all reports. Especially when we are playing teams like Carlton and Essendon where they have quite a few tall forwards, our defence is a bit undersized in my opinion.

Just watched the last 5 minutes of the 2010 grandfinal draw, you can't compare it too much to the current side as there are so many fresh faces, but one thing I noticed was the desperation to do everything you possibly can. Now obviously there's a difference between playing a grandfinal infront of 100,000 people and a game infront of 12,000, but I feel we really had some run in the last minutes of the first quarter and the desperation was superb.

By the end of the game some players had the effort others didn't and you could tell everyone was tired. I think a couple of changes should be made... not 5-6, and the players should be told that the intensity should be like in a grand final, it's amazing to see the difference an extra boost of adrenaline makes and I think if you can really get a young sides mindset in the right spot, what they'll be able to produce could be something amazing.

OUT: Saad, Paddy, Shenton/Wright
In: Acres, Roo, Webster

(Roo and Webster might not be ready)

The coach bashing line wasnt aimed at everybody questioning some coaching decisions . Nothing wrong with talking about concerns :thumbsu:
I just thought the RICHO YOU SPUD was a harsh.
i wasn't calling rich a spud, i was calling it a no brainer when it comes to team selection for me

I'd like to see Goddard get a run this week, has the height and bulk to be a good match up on Daniher. Only problem that leaves Delaney out (not warranted) or playing CHB on Carlisle (not ideal). Webster for Shenton.

Forward - well I'd still give McCartin a rest and given its at Docklands, I'd play Lee at FF.

OUT: McCartin (needs some time in the 2s), Saad, Shenton, Membrey, Curren
IN: Riewoldt/Hickey, Montagna/DMac, Weller, Webster, Acres

FB: Dempster Delaney
HB: Savage Fisher Webster
C: Newnes Armitage Wright
HF: Billings Riewoldt Montagna
FF: Lonie Bruce Schneider
R: Longer Weller Steven
I: Dunstan Acres Roberton
S: Sinclair

With the backline, there's a few interesting issues, there.

1, Delaney; 2, Dempster; 3, Fisher; 4, Lee; 5, Goddard; 6, Savage; 7, Wright; 8, Webster; 9, Geary, 10, Roberton; 11, Shenton: That will never fit into a 6 or at most 7 man backline.

I think this explains the general tendency recently to move Sav, Newnes, and even Bob into the midfield.

If we're going to see an in-form-up-back Lee, and a raring-to-go Goddard, as well as a sweet-boot Webster (at least in a few weeks) coming in, then some very complex decisions will need to make, about what has previously seemed a rather settled back 6 or 7.

OUT: McCartin (needs some time in the 2s), Saad, Shenton, Membrey, Curren
IN: Riewoldt/Hickey, Montagna/DMac, Weller, Webster, Acres

FB: Dempster Delaney
HB: Savage Fisher Webster
C: Newnes Armitage Wright
HF: Billings Riewoldt Montagna
FF: Lonie Bruce Schneider
R: Longer Weller Steven
I: Dunstan Acres Roberton
S: Sinclair
Can't see that Membreys done much wrong so far so I'd leave him be at the moment. Average of 10 disposals, three marks and 0.8 goals and 1.5 tackles per game in our forward line is OK at the moment.

Hey, hey, hey. I'm not saying he's crap or that he's not got a future. I'm saying that expecting somebody to come from such a substandard comp as the NEAFL and gun it in the AFL is a tad bit unfair.

I think it's worth considering bringing Simpkin in, if Mav is out and we're down on leaders and tough, experienced players then bring Simpkin in and basically tell him to throw his weight around. Hard as nails and can give some of the young guys something to look up to.

Persevering Saint

You forgot Gilbert. Now Dempster and possibly Fisher will be gone at the end of this year. Shenton is a season-to-season, game-to-game proposition. Wright and Webster have to be able to play as outside mids, but Wright's kicking lets him down and he must fix that if he is to make it. Geary is what he is, Roberton is being moved into the midfield at the moment, possibly to add another string to his bow. But you could certainly argue that right now Dempster, Gilbert, Shenton & Roberton are all very similar types, and now we can add Lee to that list. And there's only so many blokes you can have in a back six/seven who can be told "don't worry about your opponent too much", and that bloke should be Savage right now. Carlton did a wonderful job of cutting Savage out of the game and making that bloke Geary, who butchered the ball repeatedly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Persevering Saint

You forgot Gilbert. Now Dempster and possibly Fisher will be gone at the end of this year. Shenton is a season-to-season, game-to-game proposition. Wright and Webster have to be able to play as outside mids, but Wright's kicking lets him down and he must fix that if he is to make it. Geary is what he is, Roberton is being moved into the midfield at the moment, possibly to add another string to his bow. But you could certainly argue that right now Dempster, Gilbert, Shenton & Roberton are all very similar types, and now we can add Lee to that list. And there's only so many blokes you can have in a back six/seven who can be told "don't worry about your opponent too much", and that bloke should be Savage right now. Carlton did a wonderful job of cutting Savage out of the game and making that bloke Geary, who butchered the ball repeatedly.
Yes, I tend to forget Gilbo, as you and I have long debated about! ;)

While I am not really a Shenton basher, I have to say I think we have better defenders on our list, and that he is keeping their chair warm until they're fit or ready. I am not at all convinced that Newnes, Savage, or Webster can make it as mids. I almost think Wright has to make it as a mid because his kicking is just too dangerously bad to be coming out of the backline. And who knows what on earth is going to happen with Gilbert?!

Oy vey...

Jack Sinclair has been a steal for the Saints. Averaging 13 disposals - 2 marks - 2 tackles - 1.25 goals per game.

Not sure why he was overlooked in the National draft but the Saints have a potential star right there. :thumbsu:

It's not so much his stats that have us excited about him, but the way he is composed with the ball and seems to find time to make the right decision. Just looks like a really natural footballer. :thumbsu:

Possible ins: Leigh Montagna, Sam Gilbert, Blake Acres, Eli Templeton, Daniel McKenzie, Tom Hickey, Jimmy Webster, Darren Minchington etc.

What changes would everyone make? After two poor performances in a row i would like to think to make a few changes.. Probably won't though
Not sure I can watch us lose to Jimmy HIRD and the Injectors. Bloody drug cheats oozing over the fact that everybody knows what happened but they got off on an cumulative evidence consideration argument.

Delaney needs help so for me Goddard is a must.
Roo automatically plays if fit .
Acres has done enough for a game .
Weller plays if fit .
B Geary Delaney Goddard
HB Savage Fisher Dempster
C Newnes Armitage Roberton
HF Billings Bruce Membrey
F Lonie Riewoldt Schneider
Foll Longer Dunstan
R Steven
Int Sinclair Acres Weller ( Shenton )

It's not so much his stats that have us excited about him, but the way he is composed with the ball and seems to find time to make the right decision. Just looks like a really natural footballer. :thumbsu:

He's very good around goal too

Too many people on here that praise Richo one week and then absolutely roast him the week after.

Still think a lot of people are too harsh on Delaney, what do you expect him to do? Keep a key forward to 0 goals when the forward 50 entries against us are ridiculous? He needs to be in our team, because he can play, just needs a bit more help from the defensive side of things from our midifielders. However, I would like to see Hugh come into the team, seems like he has been playing really well from all reports. Especially when we are playing teams like Carlton and Essendon where they have quite a few tall forwards, our defence is a bit undersized in my opinion.
Plus going by your avatar your the biggest Spud here Auntie:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Jack Sinclair has been a steal for the Saints. Averaging 13 disposals - 2 marks - 2 tackles - 1.25 goals per game.

Not sure why he was overlooked in the National draft but the Saints have a potential star right there. :thumbsu:
He reminds me a fair bit of one Sam Mitchell in the way he plays, with his dual-sidedness, composure/poise, ability to make others who are trying to tackle him look silly by just knowing which way to move to evade them, efficient kicking and they're even a similar size.

Like him a lot.

Still think a lot of people are too harsh on Delaney, what do you expect him to do? Keep a key forward to 0 goals when the forward 50 entries against us are ridiculous?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that at all, but the thing is that we were getting bombarded with inside 50's against last year as well, yet he seemed to be a lot more effective then than he is now. The other thing is that he just seems like a "walking free kick" (against) this year. Take Saturday's game for instance. Two free kicks against in the first 10 minutes of the game, and at that stage we certainly weren't getting dominated. He's also not taking anywhere near as many good marks this year as he was last year.

To me he is just well short of the form he was in last year and for that reason and others I would be perfectly fine with either of Goddard or Lee being brought in just to give he and Fisher a bit more aerial support back there. This week for instance have Goddard on Daniher and Delaney on Carlisle and Chips playing loose, or at least in the 3rd tall role. That's if we're going all-out to win of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back