Preview R5: St Kilda v Essendon (game day thread now open)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delaney would be safe. Yes he is having a poor start but he is our only mature key defender and is much needed in the side.

He'd be one of the last two be dropped IMO.
Its tuff down there right now.
Put David Dench in the backline and let it be kicked down there 2 thousand times and watch him struggle as well.
Its death by a thousand cuts for our backline boys ATM. The mids have to help them more.

Players who are safe would be Steven, Savage, Dunstan, Schneider, Geary, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Longer, Armitage, Dempster, Fisher, Bruce, Membrey, Lonie & Sinclair.

Not safe would be Delaney, Curren, McCartin, Wright, Saad & Shenton.

Looking to come in would be Lee, Hickey, Goddard, Webster, McKenzie, Acres, & Templeton. Question marks on Riewoldt, Montagna & Weller.

I'm not sure that Newnes should be safe, he was one of our worst players against Carlton albeit in an unfamiliar role as tagger but he hasn't set the world on fire in our first 3 games either. He apparently has good leadership qualities but that doesn't seem apparent from watching him play where he has given away a number of undisciplined free kicks.

If Riewoldt isn't fit to play this week I wouldn't mind seeing Hickey get a chance to play in a ruck/forward role to give McCartin a spell in the VFL, I thought McCartin was pretty good against Carlton but if he is struggling to play a full game at AFL level it gives us a problem keeping our forward structure. Lee and White might also be candidates to play a key forward role.

We have too many small forwards so Saad should make way for another midfielder like Acres, McKenzie or Montagna if he's fit.

Last edited:
Also, I can't find this particularly post at the moment, but someone said that the defensive forward was superfluous and didn't exist in any other team. Brenton Sanderson literally said on air during the game that all the best teams have one now.
Sanderson must have said that between all his uber-negative special comments... * that guy is painful

Brenton Sanderson is Malcolm Blight mk II when it comes to commentary.... Geez i was almost wanting to put a bullet in my head, but luckily i found the 'mute' button ;)

I think Newnes has some runs in the bank, he was also, in terms of games, our 10th most experienced player on Saturday, while playing only his 51st game. He was also given a role possibly for learning purposes, so perhaps he should be given a little bit of latitude because of that. Otherwise I thought he was reasonable through the first two games, but less so in the last two.

Anyone think whatever player it was that gave Murphy a little jab in the guts will get sighted by the MRP?

Murphy dropped like a bag of s**t. Think Newnes was the one who did it
Nothing on it.

That's good then.

Also, I can't find this particularly post at the moment, but someone said that the defensive forward was superfluous and didn't exist in any other team. Brenton Sanderson literally said on air during the game that all the best teams have one now.

We're not one of the best teams though.

Its not helping much, we still get heavily scored against.

Would rather beef the midfield.

Thats your opinion mate , and its a good one as usual :thumbsu:
Mine just happens to be a little different . I guess im a little bit more relaxed about this season. If we hadve lost our first four games of this yr by over 100 pts i still wouldnt be concerned.
I'll be more concerned that if once we get the team settled a bit & the Saints guys at Sandy have 6 or 7 games under their belt as well. Then if players are still making the same mistakes each week and Richo doesnt seem to be making pro active moves by then , ill be pretty bloody frustrated as well:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Ditto mate!

Too early to be calling for wholesale changes IMO.

The kids I think need exposure and I think that is what the club is doing. Rightly or wrongly....

shenton, saad absolutely have to be dropped

curren has to be dropped if weller is available or if they dont plan to use him in the midfield

sinclair i think needs a spell. likewise mccartin. but this is probably dependant on how others go in the VFL

Saad will kick four goals

Breakdown of games played of Saturday's team:

200+ games: 2 (Schneider, Fisher)
115-200 games: 1 (Dempster)
80-115 games: 3 (Armitage, Geary, Steven)
50-80 games: 4 (Savage, Roberton, Newnes, Delaney)
35-50 games: 0
15-35 games: 8 (Saad, Longer, Bruce, Curren, Dunstan, Shenton, Wright, Billings)
6-15 games: 0
0-5 games: 4 (Membrey, Lonie, Sinclair, McCartin)

That 15-35 game group is the important one, because historically, they are one season away. Having said that Saad turns 26 this year and Shenton 25. THe other six should be persisted with.

VFL Stats

Blake Acres: 31 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 2 hitouts, 1 behind

Dan Mckenzie: 28 disposals, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 2 hitouts, 1 goal

Jimmy Webster: 26 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles

Eli Templeton: 19 disposals, 10 marks, 6 tackles, 1 hitout

Josh Saunders: 19 disposals, 1 mark, 9 tackles

Tom Simpkin: 13 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles

Tom Lee: 12 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle

Tom Hickey: 11 disposals, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 6 hitouts, 1 behind

Hugh Goddard: 11 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles

Spencer White: 7 disposals, 1 mark, 2 hitouts, 2 behinds

Jason Holmes: 6 disposals, 2 tackles, 21 hitouts

Lewis Pierce: 5 disposals, 3 tackles, 10 hitouts

Brendan Payne: 5 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Stats

Blake Acres: 31 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 2 hitouts, 1 behind

Dan Mckenzie: 28 disposals, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 2 hitouts, 1 goal

Jimmy Webster: 26 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles

Eli Templeton: 19 disposals, 10 marks, 6 tackles, 1 hitout

Josh Saunders: 19 disposals, 1 mark, 9 tackles

Tom Simpkin: 13 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles

Tom Lee: 12 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle

Tom Hickey: 11 disposals, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 6 hitouts, 1 behind

Hugh Goddard: 11 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles

Spencer White: 7 disposals, 1 mark, 2 hitouts, 2 behinds

Jason Holmes: 6 disposals, 2 tackles, 21 hitouts

Lewis Pierce: 5 disposals, 3 tackles, 10 hitouts

Brendan Payne: 5 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles

Great to see the top 4 possession winners 1st and 2nd year players. Great sign with our recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to see the top 4 possession winners 1st and 2nd year players. Great sign with our recruitment.
It's easy to forget that Jimmy Webster's been on our list for 3 and a half years.
Spent the first year overcoming a history of hamstring and shin problems. Had a broken foot last year. Wonder at the moment whether his finger issues this year may be affecting the drop of the ball on his trusty left.
Can't wait for him to get back to his cheeky best.

Out: Shenton, Saad, McCartin,
In: Webster, Minchington, White

Am aware White probably doesnt deserve spot but due to necessity he gets a go and will need to make the most of it. Looked well short on structure when paddy was subbed out and Hickey aint the answer at FF.

Out: Shenton, Saad, McCartin,
In: Webster, Minchington, White

Am aware White probably doesnt deserve spot but due to necessity he gets a go and will need to make the most of it. Looked well short on structure when paddy was subbed out and Hickey aint the answer at FF.
McCartin did nothing in seniors, White did nothing in reserves. At least Paddy is having a crack though, got to keep him in if Riewoldt isn't right.

Don't forget about Saunders. I know he is not everyone's cup of tea, and he won't exactly fix our disposal efficiency problems but he can give us some flexibility, another guy who can go into the midfield, play forward, or provide us with outside pace on the wings. Could even be a tagging option if Wellar does not get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back