Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-06-19/too-hard-rances-50m-throwing-penalty

An astounding decision from the ump. I was at the game and had no idea what had happened. Only on viewing the video is it obvious that the ump made two bad decisions in about 5 seconds. The mark not being paid I can understand, but what the f**k was he thinking to pay a penalty for throwing the ball back too hard?

Note: I don't think an actual 50 metre penalty was paid. If so it would have been even more astounding to have gone from a ball-up situation to 50 metre penalty without the Eagles having gained possession in some manner beforehand.

Right decision, can't have blokes disrespecting the umpires like that or we'll end up like soccer where the ref makes a bad call and suddenly 10 blokes are in his face arguing.

Rance spat the dummy ( second time for the night) and the ump put his foot down.

Good decision from the umpire. It doesn't matter that the umpire had good hands and caught the ball cleanly. It was a clear show of dissent & disrespect from Rance. If he'd pulled that crap in other sports, he would've been sent off.

It's incredible that some numbskulls think it's okay for a player to scream in dissent at an umpire and then hurl the ball at him. I thought the Channel 7 commentary was appalling. I couldn't believe they bagged the ump for penalising Rance.

The culture of Australian football f**kin sucks where umpires are constantly derided and treated as second class citizens.

In an ideal world, the umpire would have been allowed to flip the bird and say, "Settle the * down, campaigner," then ball it up.

But since Umps aren't able to abuse players, then damn straight I'd march someone who gave me a spray then launched a ball that close to my balls! :D

This is soft. Very soft. Hayden kennedy is an idiot. A free kick could be awarded if it was harder than that or directed at the head. Its as soft as that incident last year where ump couldnt handle the dialogue. Please remind me of the incident i forgot heath shaw rings a bell but carlisle does too.

Umps still think they are bigger than the game

That particular call may have been a bit harsh, but I don't buy this "umps bigger than the game" rubbish.

Umpires need to be bold and demonstrative in their decisions because they are dealing with pretty charged, hyped-up blokes. Don't want the game getting out of control.

If you want to talk about those who think they are bigger than the game then look no further than various panels and commentary teams that spend more time talking about each other than the game.

Right decision, can't have blokes disrespecting the umpires like that or we'll end up like soccer where the ref makes a bad call and suddenly 10 blokes are in his face arguing.

Rance spat the dummy ( second time for the night) and the ump put his foot down.
Umpires need to have guys argue with them if they make disgusting calls. They think they can afford to make any call and not face any type of repercussions. No wonder people are turning away from the sport.

Umpires need to have guys argue with them if they make disgusting calls. They think they can afford to make any call and not face any type of repercussions. No wonder people are turning away from the sport.

They do get assessed after the game and their performance does have a bearing on what level they umpire, if they get finals, etc.

Having someone argue with them doesn't achieve anything toward making them accountable, it just makes the player who is arguing feel a bit better about the whole situation for a few seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpire 25 made some shocking decisions and non-decisions during the game.

The Rance call in my mind is an overreaction. I can understand at junior level but at AFL! I mean he caught the ball. How precious does the ump want to be.

Anyway the umps have a tough job.
They will make mistakes but I prefer umps that make less than this bloke. There are far better ones than 25 that will be doing the big games at seasons end that can handle the pressure much better.

I obviously can't speak for all the AFL umpires, but to me, as someone who has a couple of umpiring qualifications, this is just so wrong.

Umpires, like players across all sports, have to make snap decisions. You never get every call right. Umpires know when they make mistakes. I know I've made a few. And the last thing an umpire needs is someone letting them know about it. Ideally you think to yourself " ok I might have got that wrong", then just clear your head and refocus on the next call.

And at the end of the day the umpires are assessed on their performances just like players.

I obviously can't speak for all the AFL umpires, but to me, as someone who has a couple of umpiring qualifications, this is just so wrong.

Umpires, like players across all sports, have to make snap decisions. You never get every call right. Umpires know when they make mistakes. I know I've made a few. And the last thing an umpire needs is someone letting them know about it. Ideally you think to yourself " ok I might have got that wrong", then just clear your head and refocus on the next call.

And at the end of the day the umpires are assessed on their performances just like players.
Now, I know umpires make some questionable calls every match. That's just how it is. 99% most suppoters will go "Okay, maybe that was wrong, but oh well."
But players, in the heat of the moment are going to be emotional. If an umpire makes a bad call, it should be expected that players say a few words.
Rance throwing a ball a bit hard and getting a 50.... In my eyes, that umpire deserves a few words. He could have just paid a free and be done with it and said "no need for that" but he went over the top with it. I'm no just saying that because I support Richmond. If it was a WCE player, my views would be the same.

Now, I know umpires make some questionable calls every match. That's just how it is. 99% most suppoters will go "Okay, maybe that was wrong, but oh well."
But players, in the heat of the moment are going to be emotional. If an umpire makes a bad call, it should be expected that players say a few words.
Rance throwing a ball a bit hard and getting a 50.... In my eyes, that umpire deserves a few words. He could have just paid a free and be done with it and said "no need for that" but he went over the top with it. I'm no just saying that because I support Richmond. If it was a WCE player, my views would be the same.

It wasn't given a 50, it was just a free kick.

The culture of Australian football f**kin sucks where umpires are constantly derided and treated as second class citizens.

As Grant Thomas said, when you pull on the umpires' uniform, you leave your humanity at the door. You become a thing.

Or something like that.

"* off and umpire soccer 25 you useless campaigner!"

TBH I didn't think it warranted a free BUT anything worse than this is not the type of disrespect you need to see in local/ junior footy

TBH I didn't think it warranted a free BUT anything worse than this is not the type of disrespect you need to see in local/ junior footy

As someone who used to umpire local footy, I agree...Any dissent/abuse needs to be stamped out.

For those saying the umps are soft not to just take it, my usual reply is that when the players are happy for the umpires to give them s**t about their performance, they can complain about the umps, but while it's just one way, it's gutless and needs to be stopped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back