Random Random Thoughts MMXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weather is the pits. Can't tan in this kind of rain, and what good is it living by the beach if you can't tan?

Guy serious question:

#moistformills a la Sir Swans or #moaningformills

Guy serious question:

#moistformills a la Sir Swans or #moaningformills
Do you seriously want to persist with this?

Flip the situation and reverse the sexes. Would this still be appropriate?

I know you mean it in a good spirit, but it's wearing thin with me.

Also, I don't want to just block you, as I do value your footy based comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You haven't been here long, as I have been pushing hard (pun possibly intended) for #ragingforrampe

You haven't been here long, as I have been pushing hard (pun possibly intended) for #ragingforrampe

#tribbingfortippett and #f***forfranklin never took off

vonn was just quoting me off the podcast, its my fault sorry

It is not 1965 anymore, get your sexual harrassment knowledge up to date.

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/guides/sexual-harassment

I don't have a problem with Vonn's musings but the point raised is entirely valid.

I wasn't born in 1965 but I appreciate your overly sanctimonious and sensitive tone. Indeed, if you need the government to define sexual harrassment to you, I would counter that you probably don't have a particularly complete or realistic view on the topic in the first place.

Jesus. I know the difference between being disrespectful and being jocular. I also know the difference between an inappropriate joke at work and what is not "offensive" - a completely subjective idea btw. There is nothing morally wrong with simply invoking the idea of sex, be it in relation to a woman or a man or whether it is done by a woman or a man. I wouldn't talk sexually to any person at work ever, because that's being serious and, indeed, inappropriate for a place of work. But with people who I know and work with, there's nothing wrong with invoking the idea of sex. Not propositioning, not intimidating, just talking about it if others are also willing to talk and joke about it. The term "inappropriate" has been mutated so badly that in many cases it has become a bullshit word that eliminates natural and real conversation.

In fact, in my experience, women are so much more interesting to talk to at work because they don't feel this crippling sense of worry when it comes to joking around about anything and everything. They're open to talk about whatever. Men at work are bores because they worry that the sword of Damocles is hanging over them, ready to drop down whenever they mention something that someone somewhere might taken offence to.

Also, just because you take offence, doesn't mean that you're right.

MODS: do move this whenever you want, it is certainly off topic.

Last edited:
I wasn't born in 1965 but I appreciate your overly sanctimonious and sensitive tone. Indeed, if you need the government to define sexual harrassment to you, I would counter that you probably don't have a particularly complete or realistic view on the topic in the first place.

Jesus. I know the difference between being disrespectful and being jocular. I also know the difference between an inappropriate joke at work and what is not "offensive" - a completely subjective idea btw. There is nothing morally wrong with simply invoking the idea of sex, be it in relation to a woman or a man or whether it is done by a woman or a man. I wouldn't talk sexually to any person at work ever, because that's being serious and, indeed, inappropriate for a place of work. But with people who I know and work with, there's nothing wrong with invoking the idea of sex. Not propositioning, not intimidating, just talking about it if others are also willing to talk and joke about it. The term "inappropriate" has been mutated so badly that in many cases it has become a bullshit word that eliminates natural and real conversation.

In fact, in my experience, women are so much more interesting to talk to at work because they don't feel this crippling sense of worry when it comes to joking around about anything and everything. They're open to talk about whatever. Men at work are bores because they worry that the sword of Damocles is hanging over them, ready to drop down whenever they mention something that someone somewhere might taken offence to.

Also, just because you take offence, doesn't mean that you're right.

I didn't take offence, as I said at the end of my post.
And that is exactly the point, sexual harrassment or harrassment of any nature has bugger all to do with what you or I as 3rd parties think. Whether you like it or not that is the way the law in relation to harrassment now works, for obvious reasons. Your "its PC" argument is nonsense and belongs in an era long gone.

#standbyvonn

That post was completely fine, you don't have to find it funny, but it isn't harming anyone.

S120 said:

Agreed.

I didn't take offence, as I said at the end of my post.
And that is exactly the point, sexual harrassment or harrassment of any nature has bugger all to do with what you or I as 3rd parties think. Whether you like it or not that is the way the law in relation to harrassment now works, for obvious reasons. Your "its PC" argument is nonsense and belongs in an era long gone.

#standbyvonn

I wasn't saying you were offended, I was talking generally.

And indeed, harrassment is about what a 3rd party might think but that doesn't mean that that person is correct. I can justify everything I've ever said in my life and anyone with a brain should be able to as well. That's not to say I've never been wrong but it seems like you can just throw the word harrassment out and think that an arugment can be won on that basis. You can find whatever you like unfunny and I would never aim to tell someone what to find funny, it doesn't mean that that person you find to be unfunny has malicious intent or nefarious purposes.

And political correctness as a legitimate arugment is not obsolete because you say it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back