Opinion Rank the AFL midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever stat man - Cotchin is at another level than Rockcliffe. Let me know when he gets an AA selection. Delidio is Lids.

Grade 4 is when you learn these symbols <>
You got nothing to back your Cotchin argument up, so I'll take that as a win to Rockliff.

Despite them though, here are some KPIs for your midfield:
  • 14th in disposal differential (16 less than the opposition per game).
  • 13th in efficient disposal differential (0.8% less than the opposition per game).
  • 16th in contested possession differential (7.2 less than the opposition per game).
  • 13th in uncontested possession differential (8.9 less than the opposition per game).
  • 3rd in tackle differential (5.5 more than the opposition per game - good).
  • 13th in inside 50 differential (3.5 less than the opposition per game).
  • 15th in time in forward half differential (2:54 minutes less than the opposition per game).
  • 13th in hitouts differential (3.7 less than the opposition per game).
  • 14th in hitouts-to-advantage differential (1.9 less than the opposition per game).
  • 16th in clearance differential (3.4 less than the opposition per game).
You have some good young players in there - but at this stage, as a whole, they haven't been able to form a cohesive and consistent unit. I rate Brisbane's future midfield but we are yet to see what they're capable of.
I blame those stats on poor coaching & structures from Voss. He was way out of his depth as a senior coach. I believe we have excellent midfielders, they just need better guidance, which might come from Leppa this year

Where were they ranked for magical acts - they do have 2 magicians in their side.

This shows how weak they are - they can't get the ball, they don't use it well when they do - but they can tackle - which is no surprise as they can't get the ball and have more opportunities to tackle.
Champion Data haven't adopted the Majak scale yet but when they do I'll find out for you. :p

It'll definitely be interesting to see what Leppitsch can manage this year in terms of stoppages. Their scoring woes (stats pertaining to scoring are also generally in the 13th-16th mark with a few outliers) are no real surprise, but I'll admit to being a bit shocked when I first saw the stats of their midfield. You can tell they don't exactly excel at winning the ball or disposing efficiently, but I didn't expect that much of a reality check. I vehemently disagree with 38rockliff38's placement of the Brisbane midfield in that list, but I do think they are (or should be) a better midfield than the stats give them credit for. That said, still can't see them being close to the 6th best in the competition to be honest.

Last edited:

Where were they ranked for magical acts - they do have 2 magicians in their side.

This shows how weak they are - they can't get the ball, they don't use it well when they do - but they can tackle - which is no surprise as they can't get the ball and have more opportunities to tackle.
Probably top 5 in the comp. Those 2 did some amazing things last year.

I blame those stats on poor coaching & structures from Voss. He was way out of his depth as a senior coach. I believe we have excellent midfielders, they just need better guidance, which might come from Leppa this year
You might be right - as I've indicated above, Leppitsch may get more out of them. However, if we're ranking on potential, I hear Jarrad Grant, Jarrad Waite and Jack Watts are some of the best forwards in the league.

I just don't think it's fair to rate a poorly-performed midfield "with potential" over definitively proven talent. As yet you haven't displayed a coherent midfield that's capable of doing the things midfields should do consistently - that may change. But for now, it's nothing but untapped potential.

Cotchin did not have a great year but his 2012 is clearly better than anything Rockcliff has manged.

A bad carpenter blames their tools. Voss is too blame for those terrible stats!!
Okay, if we are going to be like that.... Let's compare Cotchin's 2012 to Rockliff's 2011:

Winner of each stat based on averages:

Disposals: Rockliff.
Marks: Rockliff.
Tackles: Rockliff.
Goals: Cotchin.
Clearances: Rockliff.
Supercoach points: Rockliff.

Yup.. Clearly Cotchin's 2012 is better than Rockliff has ever done! :rolleyes:

Once again your argument is invalid.

Okay, if we are going to be like that.... Let's compare Cotchin's 2012 to Rockliff's 2011:

Winner of each stat based on averages:

Disposals: Rockliff.
Marks: Rockliff.
Tackles: Rockliff.
Goals: Cotchin.
Clearances: Rockliff.
Supercoach points: Rockliff.

Yup.. Clearly Cotchin's 2012 is better than Rockliff has ever done! :rolleyes:

Once again your argument is invalid.

Sorry, stats don't paint the appropriate picture.
Cotchin was in the top 5 players in the league in 2012.
Rockliff wasn't in the top 20 in the league in 2011.

Yes Brisbane have a good first choice midfield but they have no depth

Sorry stats don't paint the appropriate picture.
Cotchin was in the top 5 players in the league in 2012.
Rockliff wasn't in the top 20 in the league in 2011.
Thats an opinion with no factual meaning at all. My opinion has facts to back it up, Rockliff> Cotchin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont have those stats. But they arent the only things that impact games - tackles and clearances (rockliff a clear winner in both) also impact games.
So setting up goals is important to winning games more so than what you mentioned. Lets leave it at that

So setting up goals is important to winning games more so than what you mentioned. Lets leave it at that
Clearances set up goals, tackles prevent goals. Plus we dont even know who averages more score involvments - cant find those stats

Clearances set up goals, tackles prevent goals. Plus we dont even know who averages more score involvments - cant find those stats
Then you can't definitively say Rockliff is better when you don't have those stats

Plus I already had plenty of evidence showing why rocky is better. You had nothing to suggest cotchin is better. That goal assist stat is another nail in cotchins coffin.

Yes Brisbane have a good first choice midfield but they have no depth
Yeah, I'll settle for that. In terms of first choice midfield, 6th is about right. Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Hanley, Moloney, Zorko as first choice is fantastic. Harwood, Lester, Beams are okay. But hopefully Aish, Taylor, Mayes develop well and join the other 6. If they can do that it would be hard to find a better midfield out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back