Rank the Round 1 games in order of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Not fair.
Port should be playing Essendon rd 1. Given we'll be missing a couple of players too....

1) Hawthorn vs Geelong
Usually a classic. Hopefully Geelong bring it.

2) Brisbane vs Collingwood
If what I suspect happens does happen this game should be a lot of fun.

3) Fremantle vs Port Adelaide
Port are a fun team to watch. Freo not so much. Still its two top teams.

4) Bulldogs vs WCE
Take Griffen out, put Boyd in. How much do the doggies lose by?

5) Sydney vs Essendon
Sydney are a great side. Essendon may not have a team. Sydney by 100? 200? 300?
Thanks btw AFL for gifting Sydney with this easy win.

6) Melbourne vs Gold Coast
Waste of time. Will not watch.

7) Adelaide vs North Melb

8) St Kilda vs GWS

Fremantle hosting port for the third time in five rounds seems off to me.

Port v sydney would have been a good starter given the end of 2014

who knows, we might be allowed to wear our home ground guernsey

1) Hawthorn vs Geelong
Usually a classic. Hopefully Geelong bring it.

2) Brisbane vs Collingwood
If what I suspect happens does happen this game should be a lot of fun.

3) Fremantle vs Port Adelaide
Port are a fun team to watch. Freo not so much. Still its two top teams.

4) Bulldogs vs WCE
Take Griffen out, put Boyd in. How much do the doggies lose by?

5) Sydney vs Essendon
Sydney are a great side. Essendon may not have a team. Sydney by 100? 200? 300?
Thanks btw AFL for gifting Sydney with this easy win.

6) Melbourne vs Gold Coast
7) Adelaide vs North Melb
8) St Kilda vs GWS

Pretty much sums it up, would love Hawthorn to unfurl the premiership flag against the Cats as well, would probably break some hearts and make other's blood boil.

Re hawks v cats
I understand that some of the tension has gone, but I don't get the backlash on this thread.

Bias aside, these games have pretty much contained the best footy of the last few years, with both teams going all out to win with attacking footy.

Re hawks v cats
I understand that some of the tension has gone, but I don't get the backlash on this thread.

Bias aside, these games have pretty much contained the best footy of the last few years, with both teams going all out to win with attacking footy.
I dont understand the backlash. Apart from the lions v pies game this one tops my list of games to watch. Id imagine carltin vs richmond to be a snooze fest.

1) Hawthorn v Geelong tecniaccly match of the round but we all know dep down Hawks will dominate
2) Fremantle vs Port Adelaide semi final rematch
3) Adelaide v North Melbourne to see if phil Walsh can change Adelaide
4) Sydney vs Essendon record breaking margin???
5) Brisbane vs Collingwood Beams vs the pies
6) Carlton vs Richmond nothing really sepcial about it
7) Melbourne vs Gold Coast Gaz is back
8) Bulldogs vs WCE to see boyd in new colours
9) St Kilda vs GWS tbh one probably the most one sided game of the wrong (if essendons can field a side)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Bulldogs v West Coast - Obviously because it's my club. Also excited to see Naitanui and Yeo together in the centre square after a full pre season. Mackenzie first up is about as tough as it can get for Boyd.

2. Fremantle v Port Adelaide - Should be pretty close like the last few games they've played.

3. Brisbane v Collingwood - Beams v old club

4. Hawthorn v Geelong - Doesn't have the same excitement factor for me that it used to but I hope Hawthorn belt them.

5. Adelaide v North - Should be a close game.

6. Melbourne v Gold Coast - Just a case of "how much?" for Gold Coast.

7. Sydney v Essendon - Might be interesting if Essendon have no team.

8. St Kilda v GWS - Meh.

9. Carlton v Richmond - Two stale clubs playing in another stale match. Hard to get excited about the season opener.

1. Bulldogs v West Coast - Obviously because it's my club. Also excited to see Naitanui and Yeo together in the centre square after a full pre season. Mackenzie first up is about as tough as it can get for Boyd.

2. Fremantle v Port Adelaide - Should be pretty close like the last few games they've played.

3. Brisbane v Collingwood - Beams v old club

4. Hawthorn v Geelong - Doesn't have the same excitement factor for me that it used to but I hope Hawthorn belt them.

5. Adelaide v North - Should be a close game.

6. Melbourne v Gold Coast - Just a case of "how much?" for Gold Coast.

7. Sydney v Essendon - Might be interesting if Essendon have no team.

8. St Kilda v GWS - Meh.

9. Carlton v Richmond - Two stale clubs playing in another stale match. Hard to get excited about the season opener.

You summation of carlton v richmond is interesting. 2 stale clubs? how so? I would say getting 80k to the g to watch 2 traditional rivals go at it when the last 3-4 games have been nail bitters is a great way to kick off the season.

Was definitely missed this season and a reason why the first round this year was very stale. I would say it would hold a fair bit more interest to the neutral than bulldogs v west coast which you rate at no.1

Sorry, didn't pick up on the "Don't pick the game with your team in" thing. Have left it as 'strike-through'.

2. Fremantle v Port Adelaide
Not too much predictable change in either team's structures from 2014

I would hope we'd have back McPharlin, Johnson Silvagni and Ballantyne.

1. Brisbane vs Collingwood - the first time in quite a while where I think I'll be genuinely excited about watching a Brisbane match. Promises to be a close contest filled with the juicy detail of the Beams move.
2. Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - expecting another close game and a finals rematch. Freo will be smarting and looking for some revenge. Plus if Port's form from this year continues (or improves) they should be a fantastic team to watch.
3. Carlton vs Richmond - more so for the big sense of occasion being the first game of the season and the added rivalry value.
4. Adelaide vs North Melbourne - I enjoy watching Adelaide in particular, and these two teams should be fairly evenly matched at Adelaide Oval.
5. Hawthorn vs Geelong - since the Kennett curse ended this match up has lost a lot of it's gloss, and to be honest, I'm actually getting quite sick of it. Expecting a comfortable Hawthorn win but hoping for another classic.
6. Western Bulldogs vs West Coast - this will be intriguing to see how the Dogs have responded to their turbulent off season, and I would expect it to be a good game at Etihad.
7. Sydney vs Essendon - since the whole CoLA debacle reared it's head, it makes me kind sick watching Sydney games. Besides, I'm expecting some missing players from the Bombers. This could get ugly.
8. Melbourne vs Gold Coast - really not interested in this match. Unless something changes between now and then, Melbourne will probably be hard to watch again and Gold Coast should deal with them easily.

Bulldogs v West Coast, for obvious reasons.
Carlton vs Richmond, purely because it's the season opener
Fremantle vs Port
Hawthorn vs Geelong
Brisbane vs Collingwood
Sydney vs Essendon
Adelaide vs North
Melbourne vs GC
St Kilda vs GWS

1. Richmond vs Carlton - New look Carlton side and the way the season should open. Traditional rivals, a new season kicks off in front of 80,000 fans at the MCG on a Thursday night. The AFL has missed this season opener since 2011

2. Fremantle vs Port - If the past two clashes are an indication, we will see another classic at Subi. Will make or break Fremantle's flag chances next year

3. Brisbane vs Collingwood- Beams vs Collingwood. Brisbane return to their traditional strip and a new-look Collingwood with Varcoe.

4. Hawthorn vs Geelong - Another chapter in a classic modern day rivalry is to be written on Easter Monday

5. Western Bulldogs vs West Coast - Tom Boyd's debut as a Bulldog and a fit and firing Naitanui in the ruck should make it an exciting and close contest

6. Sydney vs Essendon - Depending on the ASADA show-cause notices, expect a one-sided contest if Essendon's 34 are suspended. Media will be around James Hird's return as head coach of the Bombers and Sydney's COLA debacle

7. Adelaide vs North Melbourne - Phil Walsh's debut as the new Crows' coach and North recovering from their 71 pt PF loss

8. Melbourne vs GC - Demons unveiling new faces, Gary Ablett playing his first game since round 16 last year when he broke his shoulder against Collingwood. If the Suns win by 50 pts or more, expect them to challenge for the top four

9. St Kilda vs GWS - Meh

Last edited:
Re hawks v cats

I dont think people are sick of good footy, just think the game has lost a bit of theatre and the whole Kennet curse thing etc is over which added to the story. Combine that with the fact that Geelong have dropped off a touch and the game doesnt excite the wider football community like it used to. Should still be one of the better R1 matches though.

Hawthorn v Geelon
Brisbane vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs Port Adelaide
Melbourne vs Gold Coast
Carlton vs Richmond
Sydney vs Essendon
Adelaide vs North Melb
Bulldogs vs WCE
St Kilda vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back