(rather belatedly) a thread about Barthez...

Remove this Banner Ad

bobbity2

All Australian
Dec 31, 2001
Mitcham, Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
re the incident a couple of weeks ago when Barthez was yellow carded for time wasting before a penalty (and subsequently saved it) would the Fulham player have been within his rights to tap the ball in? I thought I heard the ref blow his whistle for the kick whilst Barthez was busy cleaning his studs. An interesting one. Comments?

Still as bad sportsmanship as Barthez 'cleaning' his boots...

But should have been allowed to tap it in

The ref actually agreed to be interviewed after the game. He was honest enough, he said that although the Fulham player was entitled to take the kick and the goal would have stood, he probably would have made him retake it.

Personally I would have loved if he'd scored, that whole episode wound me up no end:mad:

A couple of years ago in the Milan Derby Inter recieved a free kick about 5-10 metres outside the box. Anybody who has seen a Milan Derby will know that the fans tend to throw a few projectiles on the pitch. Anyway, Milan keeper Abbiati was bending down to pick up some oranges and Luigi Di Biagio of Inter smacked in the free kick while he wasn't looking. Di Biagio had asked the ref if he could take the free kick quickly, and the referee said yes, but there is no way the goal should've stood.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic, but i really like that story. :)

Barthez did the same thing last season, and he saved the penalty.

Whether it's gamesmanship or bad sportsmanship on Barthez's behalf, the thing is that it is the referee who enforces the rules, and if the ref had enforced the rule as they should have been, then Barthez would've paid the penalty (along with a healthy dose of the Fergie hairdryer treatment).

i would of put it away just like in the fa cup a couple of seasons ago against west ham when he stood there with his hand in the air appealing for offside and di canio slotted it. Bloody brilliant i say :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back