The Sportswashing mega thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the money isn’t always greener.

This was always going to happen. Unless the Saudi Royals plan on evolving Saudi Arabia into a more secular nation it really isn't a suitable place for a family based on western culture & values to live.

2034 world cup's gonna be a disaster. Qatar is a free and liberal nation compared to Saudi Arabia.

Thing I find weird is all these issues existed before they signed so I guess they thought the bucket loads of cash would offset it. Have absolutely no sympathy for any of them.

All these “reports”, I am calling bullshit. I reckon hardly any player leaves this transfer window.

Just something for the media to talk about.

I don't think so. It's not in the interest of the Saudis for this stuff to get out. Everything that's being reported comes as no surprise for anyone that knows anything about Saudi Arabia. There are plenty of players being mentioned from multiple sources. They have a different window in Saudi. If an exodus of players were to happen (like what happened in China) it will be happening in the summer window.

Jota's a great example, signed and then fell out with the club and not even registered for their squad.

Players leaving will come down to the willingness of their Saudi clubs to let them go. Let's face it - who wants to play in front of 1000 fans per week living in an oppressive state with no freedom for themselves and their family? No amount of wages is ever going to make that ok IMO.

I don't think so. It's not in the interest of the Saudis for this stuff to get out. Everything that's being reported comes as no surprise for anyone that knows anything about Saudi Arabia. There are plenty of players being mentioned from multiple sources. They have a different window in Saudi. If an exodus of players were to happen (like what happened in China) it will be happening in the summer window.

Jota's a great example, signed and then fell out with the club and not even registered for their squad.

Players leaving will come down to the willingness of their Saudi clubs to let them go. Let's face it - who wants to play in front of 1000 fans per week living in an oppressive state with no freedom for themselves and their family? No amount of wages is ever going to make that ok IMO.

The footballers who have gone to Saudi Arabia for the money, that’s who.

I know exactly what you’re saying though. Just unfortunate that so many footballers went there to begin with. And these players can’t even plead ignorance by saying they didn’t know what sort of country SA is either. They all knew where they were going and didn’t care one bit about Women’s rights for their wife and daughter/s.

The footballers who have gone to Saudi Arabia for the money, that’s who.

I know exactly what you’re saying though. Just unfortunate that so many footballers went there to begin with. And these players can’t even plead ignorance by saying they didn’t know what sort of country SA is either. They all knew where they were going and didn’t care one bit about Women’s rights for their wife and daughter/s.

True but they couldn't know how bad it is until they actually got there and experienced it.

Wifey gets offers through agency to get nursing agency jobs in Saudi all the time. They have a shortage of trained nurses because of woman's rights over there. They've offered jobs for both of us totaling $200k USD per year tax free in the past. We don't even give it second thought. No way would we let our kids grow up over there. Happy to struggle with high interest rates here and not enough money!

The problem the Saudis will have is all these unhappy footballers will talk to friends. I predict there won't be a massive plethora of arrivals next summer from European clubs.

True but they couldn't know how bad it is until they actually got there and experienced it.

Wifey gets offers through agency to get nursing agency jobs in Saudi all the time. They have a shortage of trained nurses because of woman's rights over there. They've offered jobs for both of us totaling $200k USD per year tax free in the past. We don't even give it second thought. No way would we let our kids grow up over there. Happy to struggle with high interest rates here and not enough money!

The problem the Saudis will have is all these unhappy footballers will talk to friends. I predict there won't be a massive plethora of arrivals next summer from European clubs.

These multi-millionaire footballers would do their due diligence about what property to buy, what gated comminuted to live in, what school to send their kids etc, in whatever European country they would live in. Lots and lots of research. They should have done the same research on Saudi Arabia. I reckon they knew how bad it is and still went there.

I commend you and your wife for nope-ing out of such offers. Not worth it and would non-footballing, non-millionaire citizens like you and your wife feel safe in SA? I would think not.

These multi-millionaire footballers would do their due diligence about what property to buy, what gated comminuted to live in, what school to send their kids etc, in whatever European country they would live in. Lots and lots of research. They should have done the same research on Saudi Arabia. I reckon they knew how bad it is and still went there.

I commend you and your wife for nope-ing out of such offers. Not worth it and would non-footballing, non-millionaire citizens like you and your wife feel safe in SA? I would think not.

The Saudis may have promised the world in order to conivnce them to sign. A great lifestyle, western compounds etc where the wife can enjoy herself etc.

Going there and having to live it is a whole different experience to just reading about it. I can understand why after having spent 6 months there many would now want out.

Can't owe HMRC taxes if you earned nothing.

Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jordan Henderson earned lots of boos from England supporters and now he wants out to get back onside with the England supporters. Nothing more to it than that.

He's 34 this year and decided to take huge step down and play in the Saudi league for money (which ironically isn't going to happen now). With the quality of players available to Southgate he surely should have taken the decision out of Henderson's hands and dropped him instantly. England aren't the Socceroos ffs.

Can't see it happening. Maybe one spot to the champion of a guest confederation and if that happens to be a Saudi side so be it.

But to open up a spot to just one country from a different confederation devalues the competition enormously.

Can't see it happening. Maybe one spot to the champion of a guest confederation and if that happens to be a Saudi side so be it.

But to open up a spot to just one country from a different confederation devalues the competition enormously.
Even if it was the champion from a guest confederation, there's no way the Saudi team deserve it any more than several others.

Stupid idea but sadly the direction football is headed.

Even if it was the champion from a guest confederation, there's no way the Saudi team deserve it any more than several others.

Stupid idea but sadly the direction football is headed.
Was thinking more the winner of a different confederations champions league more than a league winner from a different confederation.

Even that isn't something I'd like to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back