The Sportswashing mega thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mexico will have hosted the World Cup three times by 2026.
Astouding to think that in my lifetime will have seen two USA World Cups, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia and not once in England.
Have FA fallen out of favour with FIFA?

Thought FIFA were going along nicely with Japan/South Korea and South Africa World Cups. All that destroyed since 2010.
Brazil was a shambles economically. Russia wasn’t too bad.

Astouding to think that in my lifetime will have seen two USA World Cups, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia and not once in England.
Have FA fallen out of favour with FIFA?

Thought FIFA were going along nicely with Japan/South Korea and South Africa World Cups. All that destroyed since 2010.
Brazil was a shambles economically. Russia wasn’t too bad.

The FA aren't as willing to play ball with under the table payments.

Having said that considering UEFA cannot host either 2034 or 2038 England / Scotland / Wales are an absolute shoe in for hosting 2042.

The FA aren't as willing to play ball with under the table payments.

Having said that considering UEFA cannot host either 2034 or 2038 England / Scotland / Wales are an absolute shoe in for hosting 2042.
76 years since hosting in 66.

Even then, probably Netherlands or one of those countries may get it

World Cup bidding used to be an event to see who will get the tournament. Now a person can predict who will host decades down the track and it would be a good call.

I think we will see more of it as FIFA don't want a 211 nation congress vote deciding things. They'll do deals that ensure they get the outcome they want.

I think we will see more of it as FIFA don't want a 211 nation congress vote deciding things. They'll do deals that ensure they get the outcome they want.

Quite possible that 3 continents were awarded the 2030 World Cup just so no one could bid against Saudi Arabia and they would win 2034 unchallenged. FIFA then changed the rules to stop Australia being able to bid by bringing the dates forward. They can certainly get the World Cup to whoever they want without a vote.

Quite possible that 3 continents were awarded the 2030 World Cup just so no one could bid against Saudi Arabia and they would win 2034 unchallenged. FIFA then changed the rules to stop Australia being able to bid by bringing the dates forward. They can certainly get the World Cup to whoever they want without a vote.

The new. Improved FIFA

2038 is interesting.

AFC/CAF/UEFA/CONEMBOL all ineligible because they hosted 2030/2034.

Oceania & CONCACAF are the only eligible bidders for 2038.

I reckon FIFA would accept Aust/NZ as an Oceania bid with backhanders as there aren't any real alternatives to hosting in CONCACAF aside from the 2026 hosts US/Mexico/Canada.

So maybe FIFA are also playing the game with 2038 and are probably encouraging backhanders behind the scenes to secure an Aust/NZ 2038 world cup (the only region in the world to never have hosted a World Cup) by making competing bids to be untenable (FIFA are not going to go back to the same hosts 12 years later).

2038 is interesting.

AFC/CAF/UEFA/CONEMBOL all ineligible because they hosted 2030/2034.

Oceania & CONCACAF are the only eligible bidders for 2038.

I reckon FIFA would accept Aust/NZ as an Oceania bid with backhanders as there aren't any real alternatives to hosting in CONCACAF aside from the 2026 hosts US/Mexico/Canada.

So maybe FIFA are also playing the game with 2038 and are probably encouraging backhanders behind the scenes to secure an Aust/NZ 2038 world cup (the only region in the world to never have hosted a World Cup) by making competing bids to be untenable (FIFA are not going to go back to the same hosts 12 years later).

I find it a bit weird that Conmebol would be ineligible for 2034 and 2038 just because Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay are hosting three matches in 2030. They aren’t proper hosts of the 2030 World Cup.

I find it a bit weird that Conmebol would be ineligible for 2034 and 2038 just because Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay are hosting three matches in 2030. They aren’t proper hosts of the 2030 World Cup.

They gave away hosting rights by being a 2030 "host". Probably for a very large sum of money...........

FIFA then said it was only AFC/Oceania for 2034. I bet the Saudis paid them off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not coming to Aus/NZ.

They'll rewrite the rules if they need to.

It'll have to be USA/Mexico/Canada again in that case. I can't see a viable alternative host in North America. Caribbean World Cup 2038 would be fun but not exactly realistic haha

And some people in this forum believe sportswashing isn't a thing.

If this happens bring on the super league and exclude the sportswashers from it.

If (and its an enormous if) this was to happen, wouldn't it just be a case of one club buying their way into a competition? Doubt it would change anyones opinions of the club, the clubs owners or the country the club plays in.

Unless I've misunderstood what people mean by sportswashing all these years.

If (and its an enormous if) this was to happen, wouldn't it just be a case of one club buying their way into a competition? Doubt it would change anyones opinions of the club, the clubs owners or the country the club plays in.

Unless I've misunderstood what people mean by sportswashing all these years.

You bring up this argument many times. In this case, there would be far more talk about the Saudi's club team participating in the CL than their horrific human rights abuse record. Their sportswashing is on another level, look at all the talk around the 2034 world cup. Nobody is talking about their horrific human rights record or tendency to summon dissenting journalists to their embassies to be dismembered.

Also, the Saudi pro league is possibly the most unsustainable sports league in the world. Wages higher than the PL but crowds of only a few thousand to many fixtures, sometime less than 1000 attending.

Interesting to see what you believe is the motivation behind the Saudi government funding a clearly unsustainable Saudi pro league.

And some people in this forum believe sportswashing isn't a thing.

If this happens bring on the super league and exclude the sportswashers from it.

From that sources twitter, “You may not like my writing, so take what you like from it and leave me what does not agree with you - for advertisements, contact me via private message.”

It’s basically a BS social media account.

You bring up this argument many times. In this case, there would be far more talk about the Saudi's club team participating in the CL than their horrific human rights abuse record.

I bet there wouldn't.

Their sportswashing is on another level, look at all the talk around the 2034 world cup. Nobody is talking about their horrific human rights record or tendency to summon dissenting journalists to their embassies to be dismembered.

Yes they are

Also, the Saudi pro league is possibly the most unsustainable sports league in the world. Wages higher than the PL but crowds of only a few thousand to many fixtures, sometime less than 1000 attending.

Interesting to see what you believe is the motivation behind the Saudi government funding a clearly unsustainable Saudi pro league.

Wouldn't have a clue. Don't care about the Saudi League.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back