Preview Rd 1 Geelong V StKilda Sat 16th Mar 2024 730pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A game against a comparable side... we win if we are a legit chance this year . Lose and it already starts to get a little harder.
I’ll be disappointed if we are comparable to St Kilda. Along with Carlton the biggest risk to slide in 2024 IMO.

I’ll be disappointed if we are comparable to St Kilda. Along with Carlton the biggest risk to slide in 2024 IMO.

You are usually insightful ... what is your reasoning about StK and Carlton. Any particular reason?

I feel we have to beat sides like Stk at home. Last year losing to Giants , Dockers and Dogs at home had a lot do with where we finished.

Last edited:
You are usually insightful ... what is your reasoning about StK and Carlton. Any particular reason?

I feel we have to beat sides like Stk at home. Last year losing to Giants , Dockers and Dogs at home had a lot do with where we finished.
Oh 100% agree we have to be winning this game if we are serious. But that’s because you have to be beating all teams beneath you if you are serious.

Carlton squeaked into finals and arsed two finals wins. They are a decent enough side with excellent top line talent but have huge holes in their lineup still. People talking them about being a premiership threat is fanciful IMO.

St Kilda have proven nothing. Just made the finals last year and were terrible in a home final against GWS. Again, huge holes in their line up. Absolutely no Fear Factor (HT: CatToTheFuture).

about time!

Open training or able to access the stand?

They had open training sessions during the school holidays, and this one is on the Labour Day public holiday - they don't tend to hold open training sessions at KP during a standard week, and work best when kids aren't at school

Open training or able to access the stand?

They had open training sessions during the school holidays, and this one is on the Labour Day public holiday - they don't tend to hold open training sessions at KP during a standard week, and work best when kids aren't at school
open training, when was the sessions during the school holidays??

not at gmhba right? mustve missed that

Over summer Deakin always seems the best option to watch an actual training session

I've generally stopped paying attention to the open training sessions as they're often late notice & I'm working

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh 100% agree we have to be winning this game if we are serious. But that’s because you have to be beating all teams beneath you if you are serious.

Carlton squeaked into finals and arsed two finals wins. They are a decent enough side with excellent top line talent but have huge holes in their lineup still. People talking them about being a premiership threat is fanciful IMO.

St Kilda have proven nothing. Just made the finals last year and were terrible in a home final against GWS. Again, huge holes in their line up. Absolutely no Fear Factor (HT: CatToTheFuture).
Agree, and both sides where the antithesis of each other last year IMO.

Saints rode a hot start where they did actually look legit, but nobody really bought in because premierships aren't won in April.

5-0 start, and ran the Pies right to the end while still missing some key pieces of their side.

They where bang average for the remainder of the season though, and when you watched them, they weren't exactly striking fear into anybody.

Carlton where the opposite. Horror start, and then got on this incredible run seemingly out of nowhere.

Neither side has proven they can maintain a premiership standard (or even a finals standard really) for the bulk of a season, and that's where the concerns are for mine.

Neither of them (particularly Carlton) are young enough to think they're just going to continue on an upwards trajectory either.

Guys like Philipou, Owens, Windhager etc look to have big futures...but they're still heavily reliant on Steele, Sinclair, & Marshall, who are quickly approaching 30.

They're a bit like us in the respect that their youth is probably 2-3 years away from being able to carry them, and the older players are getting towards the end.

Pretty hard to gauge what the initial lineup will be. It seems they were holding back a bit in the last practice match to give the Saints as little to analyze as possible (particularly stoppages).

Not my preferred lineup, just a crack at the meat tray:

B: Jake Kolodjashnij, Sam De Koning, Zach Guthrie
HB: Tom Stewart, Jack Henry, Max Holmes
C: Mark Blicavs, Patrick Dangerfield, Mitch Duncan
HF: Gryan Miers, Jeremy Cameron, Tyson Stengle
F: Brad Close, Tom Hawkins, Ollie Henry

Foll: Rhys Stanley, Tom Atkins, Tanner Bruhn

I/C: Jack Bowes, Jhye Clark, Zac Tuohy, Mark O'Connor, Ollie Dempsey (sub)

EMG: Shaun Mannagh, Jed Bews, Shannon Neale

Agree, and both sides where the antithesis of each other last year IMO.

Saints rode a hot start where they did actually look legit, but nobody really bought in because premierships aren't won in April.

5-0 start, and ran the Pies right to the end while still missing some key pieces of their side.

They where bang average for the remainder of the season though, and when you watched them, they weren't exactly striking fear into anybody.

Carlton where the opposite. Horror start, and then got on this incredible run seemingly out of nowhere.

Neither side has proven they can maintain a premiership standard (or even a finals standard really) for the bulk of a season, and that's where the concerns are for mine.

Neither of them (particularly Carlton) are young enough to think they're just going to continue on an upwards trajectory either.

Guys like Philipou, Owens, Windhager etc look to have big futures...but they're still heavily reliant on Steele, Sinclair, & Marshall, who are quickly approaching 30.

They're a bit like us in the respect that their youth is probably 2-3 years away from being able to carry them, and the older players are getting towards the end.

I get your point, and agree that a solid chunk of our older players are creeping up towards 30 which is concerning.

But our oldest best 22 player is 30. You guys have 11 players over 30 who are all in your best 22. Not quite the same.

Edit: No disrespect meant, and I get we are talking about one team that has won a flag 2 seasons ago vs another team that's had 1 finals win in 13 years :D

I get your point, and agree that a solid chunk of our older players are creeping up towards 30 which is concerning.

But our oldest best 22 player is 30. You guys have 11 players over 30 who are all in your best 22. Not quite the same.

Edit: No disrespect meant, and I get we are talking about one team that has won a flag 2 seasons ago vs another team that's had 1 finals win in 13 years :D
We have that many in the list by I thin you give there's maybe 8 best 22 and only about 4 of those are can't live without types

Would love to see another Cats V Saints GF. So long as we pound any team coached by Ross into the mud.
I still can't believe that they took him back after the way he walked out on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back