Preview Rd 10 Geelong v Gold Coast Thu May16 730pm at TIO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.
Are u legit suggesting he is delivering on his potential or indeed his ability?
Playing the 3rd/4th fiddle and getting the 3rd/4th best defender each week expected a little more TBH.
Here's hoping for a great outing this week with more responsibilities on his shoulders vs the Suns.
12th in the league for goals is not bad for a 20 year old, harsh critic

Yep.
Are u legit suggesting he is delivering on his potential or indeed his ability?
Playing the 3rd/4th fiddle and getting the 3rd/4th best defender each week expected a little more TBH.
Here's hoping for a great outing this week with more responsibilities on his shoulders vs the Suns.

Not sure if we're watching the same player or not.

I've been quite happy with what he has done for the club so far this year.

10th in coleman and to be frank, when he does get his opportunity to kick for goal, he's fairly reliable.

Surprised if I'm out on my own in my praise for him, but eh, whatever

They were the two I was considering. Just feel that given the beating we are copping in the midfield we need Clark more than Dempsey.
Selection should be determined on performance, not role.

We shouldn't believe in free passes just because we're weak in certain areas, there's always going to be players knocking the door down who deserve a shot who are going to offer at minimum the same, and likely more.

FWIW, Clark will be a player, I'm sure of it.

...But he's offering SFA right now. Even on Dempseys' poorer days, he's going to provide overlap run, be involved in scoring chains, and bob up for a goal or two.

If your premise is Clark should be playing because we 'need mids' then he shouldn't be playing at all, as Hardie, Knevitt, & Clohesy would all either certainly or likely be offering more at present.

Dempsey probably would too if we threw him in there like we have at VFL level.

Surprised if I'm out on my own in my praise for him, but eh, whatever
You’re not. On track for 45 goals or so after 41 last year. Great return on investment for us.

Stewart and Cuthrie into the guts swapping in the back, Humphries off HBF, Neale and Conway in.

Hardie or Mannagh? I think I'd go Mannagh as he has speed while Hardie has more grunt IMO.

Others?

Dempsey off the pine. Tuohy in as he is flexible even if slowing down. Bowes of course.

Who gets Rowell and Miller?

Selection should be determined on performance, not role.

We shouldn't believe in free passes just because we're weak in certain areas, there's always going to be players knocking the door down who deserve a shot who are going to offer at minimum the same, and likely more.

...But he's offering SFA right now. Even on Dempseys' poorer days, he's going to provide overlap run, be involved in scoring chains, and bob up for a goal or two.

If your premise is Clark should be playing because we 'need mids' then he shouldn't be playing at all, as Hardie, Knevitt, & Clohesy would all either certainly or likely be offering more at present.

Dempsey probably would too if we threw him in there like we have at VFL level.
No, that’s not what I mean. I mean Clark is the best mid available at the moment and dropping him weakens us in an area that’s already weak.

Might be on an Island here.
Fingers crossed this is a watershed moment for Ollie Henry.
Plenty of ability & highly touted by some.
He's gotta show more than a few leaps and a goal or two.
Conditions won't suit his style of play.
Hard running and some actual dirt and grit wouldn't go astray Thursday night.
Take a look at some Mihocek highlights would be my advice.
I guess we all see the game differently but Henry has often been our best forward this year. With Jezza playing up the ground and Hawkins have less impact Henry has stood up to provide a target and kick goals.

No, that’s not what I mean. I mean Clark is the best mid available at the moment and dropping him weakens us in an area that’s already weak.
You can't seriously think Hardie or Knevitt would be offering less than Jhye right now.

Let alone Bowes & Bruhn when they come back, even Mullin looked better in that second half.

I don't want to turn this into a debate on him long-term, as I've been one of his biggest supporters and like I said, he'll be a player.

Short term though, we can't afford to carry a player who is offering close to zero when there are players who will at minimum do the same thing, and it's highly likely they'll be better.

Last edited:
I actually think Clark is playing a lot better than most people credit him for. He gets into great positions and uses his body to give teammates space.

His first instinct isn't to take the ball himself so I'm not sure he'll be the type to win huge numbers. He's getting pushed off the ball too often still but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a breakout game soon.

On the other hand I'm worried about Parfitt. There are just weaknesses in his game (disposal and fumbles) that make it really hard to see how he ever goes past his current level. With Bowes, Bruhn, Clark and even Mullin I see high end potential. Not sure that applies with Parfitt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we all see the game differently but Henry has often been our best forward this year. With Jezza playing up the ground and Hawkins have less impact Henry has stood up to provide a target and kick goals.
We do.
Potential vs Output.
It's always an arm wrestle with those on one side of the table vs those on the other side.
Like i said fingers crossed all that potential and natural ability translates into him becoming a predominant force in our 50ForwardArc.
Cheers Bud.

Is Clark better than Hardie? Knevitt? Clohesy? I am not 100% sure of that TBH.
But Scott & the match committee know better than us.
We'll just roll with who they pick.

You’re not. On track for 45 goals or so after 41 last year. Great return on investment for us.
I wouldn't expect any less considering his ability, his potential, what we gave up for him and playing in a forward line that includes Hawk Jezza Close Miers Stengle and Rohan.
Even Gavin Excel was kicking 2.5 goals a game with the likes of Ablett Brownless Stoneham Lindner Cameron in the forward arc LOL.

Dempsey probably would too
if we threw him in there like we have at VFL level.
Agreed on all these points.

He's a better inside mid then Knevitt. Knevitt could come in as a defensive winger and do a better job but he doesn't have the technique or strength to play inside.

Hardie and Clohesy are better comparisons. But Clark went back to the VFL and was straight into the coaches votes in his only game. So it's not like they're doing something at VFL level that Clark can't do. I don't think Hardie has the defensive game of Clark. I think he's competing with guys like Bowes and Bruhn. Clohesy has improved and might be the best comparison.

Yes, yes and yes.

No Dangerfield - No Cameron - No Hawkins - No Holmes ( possibly ) and No Hope

Unless of course Scott ( and yes we have got injuries ) gets rid of the D Graders out of the midfield and trys a different combination , even if that means giving a debut to a new player

But Dangerfield and Cameron the 2 best Geel players by the length of the Randwick straight leaves the Cats really exposed and highly beatable . I dont know if Geel have played a game yet where both of those players were unavailable

No Dangerfield - No Cameron - No Hawkins - No Holmes ( possibly ) and No Hope

Unless of course Scott ( and yes we have got injuries ) gets rid of the D Graders out of the midfield and trys a different combination , even if that means giving a debut to a new player

But Dangerfield and Cameron the 2 best Geel players by the length of the Randwick straight leaves the Cats really exposed and highly beatable . I dont know if Geel have played a game yet where both of those players were unavailable

Matches without both Cameron & Dangerfield

Round 2 vs Brisbane at KP, W
Round 3 vs Hawthorn at MCG, W
Round 4 vs Melbourne at MCG, L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back