Opinion Rd 13 Bye week - Luved , Liked, hated so far in 2022.

Who is the most improved player this year based on expectations from where they started.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The actual most improved has to be Atkins...
But SDK been unreal from the start so in a way his not the most improved if that makes sense? As this is his first real go at it?
The most improved Is SDK. He's gone from being a developing VFL player to a potential AA and rising star winner.

Look the Cats are a good Ordinary side and thats about it - and there are in my opinion about 8-9 sides like that presently - very little between them

However with the cattle Geel has got - you have to give them credit for having a present scorecard of 8-4

Now there are Stats and there are stats - but late last night i looked at a few oppo boards - re their Non club etc - to see their views of Foot v Geel game etc

Now here is a very interesting stat - and i saw it on the Ade - Non Crows - thread - re discussing Cats v Dogs

Geelong has only once won less than 12 games in a year since 2004

Essendon has only once won more than 12 games in a year since 2004

So i think you have to look at that - long period of time - and give the Cats some credit for it

Look the Cats are a good Ordinary side and thats about it - and there are in my opinion about 8-9 sides like that presently - very little between them

However with the cattle Geel has got - you have to give them credit for having a present scorecard of 8-4

Now there are Stats and there are stats - but late last night i looked at a few oppo boards - re their Non club etc - to see their views of Foot v Geel game etc

Now here is a very interesting stat - and i saw it on the Ade - Non Crows - thread - re discussing Cats v Dogs

So i think you have to look at that - long period of time - and give the Cats some credit for it
And iirc, we still ended up with 48 points(11 wins, 2 draws)in that 2015 season, so that is remarkable. One draw v Crows was because Phil Walsh died and no game.

Last edited:
Luv ... playing the kids. Mistakes and all.
Liked.. our game plan rejig ... so Im more happy with CS this year than for a long while. Kicking goals and fast play more please.
Hated... Cant say I have hated ..anything... but disliked the way been pulled apart a couple of times , the Haw game for example.. but I knows that part of playing kids.. and changing the side over.. so just suck it up. Probably disliked bringing in Ceglar on to see him injured. Disliked not having enough of our recent draftees playing in the VFL... and not having a young defender ..in the same way that we have a young Neale in development.

Fantastic positive, glad you pointed it out. Or rather the Adelaide dude did, and there are still many Cats supporters over there, relics of pre admission of the SA teams.
The thing is, from an opposition point of view, each week, for however long, they can't chalk a win up against us lightly.
No matter the current "pensioner" taunts, and shakiness in finals, we have been extremely lucky as supporters.
Appreciated by the real pensioners- those who stuck fat during the wilderness years.

Loved:
SDK
Stengle
Dempsey
Atkins
Taking a cats fan in the msd ❤️
Selective debuts of kids in games they can have a positive impact on
Being in striking range of the top 4

Liked:
Kolo enabling the Stanley-Blitz combo
Neale's energy
Cameron not getting injured so far
Even our losses have been close
Having a group of midfield draftees coming through at the exact point that the midfield is faltering

Hated:
The drop off in output from the midfield
Losing Easter Monday, how?
Letting buddy kick the 1000th on us
Dropping Henry in under done
Holmes with the injury just when his development was hitting light speed

Loved:
SDK
Jezza
Tom Atkins
Stengle
Zac Guthrie
Max Holmes until cruelled by injury
Beating Collingwood
And finally, Geelong remains relevant for the 15th year in a row

Liked:
The versatility of Blicavs
Chris Scott’s coaching in 2022
Hawkins - just keeps keeping on. No2 in the AFL for score involvements
The contribution of our new assistant coaches
Our draw!

Hated:
The bulltish about Geelong having an unfair home ground advantage
Injury to Henry, Holmes, Menegola
Our losses to Freo, Saints, Swans and Hawks

I like and hate the same thing: we have been in every match up to our ears aside from Sydney (and even that game I think we actually won a fair few general play and scoring shot metrics). Yes we haven’t played Melbourne yet but that fact aside we have shown that something close to say, 80-90 per cent of our overall quality is good enough to compete with basically anyone.

On the flip side we SHOULD have won the Freo game, the Hawthorn game and the St Kilda game but found ways to lose them through our in-game inconsistency. Every team gets scored on and every team concedes a few consecutive goals here and there but the very good ones pretty quickly put a stop to opponents getting that level of momentum especially after being subject to it on more than one occasion.

I love a few things:

I love that while we are still a predominantly old side, the youth we DO have is proving people wrong. A best side of ours has in the mix Henry, Holmes, Parfitt, Stengle, De Koning, Atkins, Close, Zac Guthrie: all players who are either chronologically or experientially relatively young.

Is there the quality in there to replace the best footy of Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Smith etc? (I don’t count Hawkins so much because Cameron will obviously be good cover for him to some degree). I don’t think the absolute prime top end quality is quite there yet but it’s a start and it only takes one or two of them to turn into legitimate stars to keep us in a good position

Loved: SDK and Jezza “The Bookends” and Atkins playing midfield.

Liked: Blicavs playing a more ruck role. Never liked him as a Key Defender.

Disliked: Injuries and losses against top 8 sides.

Loved:
*De Koning- The most exciting player we've recruited from the draft that I can recall since GAJ, Kelly, SJ, and Bartel draft. To have a KPP who is the envy of every other team is simply outstanding.
*Stengle- a revelation, in much the same way Pods was when he came to be in our 22, albeit he is much younger than Pods.
*Atkins, and ZGuthrie- excellent improvement, meaning our bottom 6 will no longer be a weakness or a standout for the wrong reasons if they maintain the rage.
*Cameron- brilliant match-winner who really plays the way it should be played, so befitting of a #5 at GFC.
*8 wins- sets us up nicely for the last 10 games given the talent not available in those first 12 weeks. The fact that we have been written off as serious top 4 aspirants by nearly everyone, yet we are still relevant.

Liked:
*No reports, no unnecessary games missed
*CS continues to show us the reason the GFC rates him so highly.
*The ongoing Mr Fixit Blicavs heading towards another B&F.
*Our forward line is enviable.
*Eddie, Pops and Harry seem to have slotted in so well. Eddie must be lauded for the Stengle results so far.

Hated:
* INJURIES as always. Danger, HENRY, Holmes, Menegola, Simpson, Sav, Ceglar, Stanley- all potential best 22 this year have missed substantial numbers of games. The Henry injury particularly is frustrating for me as I had him as our most exciting and valuable player late last year.
*The way we have let teams absolutely domiante us with seemingly no capacity to stop it. Pies, Swans, Saints, Freo, even the Doggies.
*Losing to Hawthorn. Say no more.
*Injuries- did I mention injuries? But there is some good out of them, as lesser lights in Atkins and ZG have really stepped up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I don't like is David King suddenly talking the Cats up as he is now. That is like the kiss of death.
Doesn't matter. All pressure is on Melbourne, Freo and Brisbane. Swans and Blues also ahead in the expectations stage

What I don't like is David King suddenly talking the Cats up as he is now. That is like the kiss of death.
and then he goes and deconstructs everything we are doing effectively putting us on blast to the entire world.

Most clubs should already know that.... but still

GO Catters

Yep, that's us f***Ed

Will lose to WCE coming off a bye now. He also said Cameron was a steal so prepare yourself for the injury news
Not as unreal as some think.
A must win game for us as the season goes, but WCE will welcome back some of their best talent, will be rested and motivated, and at home.

Not as unreal as some think.
A must win game for us as the season goes, but WCE will welcome back some of their best talent, will be rested and motivated, and at home.
You never disappoint Vdubs :D

You never disappoint Vdubs :D
Just keeping it balanced. Can't have all of us talking the F word yet. WCE after a bye, in WA, with many v good players back. Enough reason to worry. A bit.

Nice and short one from me.

Loved.
SDK, Cameron and Hawkins together, Stengle, playing the kids, Zuthrie and the young backline synergy.

Liked.
Atkins continued improvement, Close improvement, being in every single game we've played with 5 goals in a BS game being the biggest margin, Scotts coaching moves and input from the new supports.

Disliked.
Poor kicking at goal, losing games we really can't afford to lose, injuries, umpiring, lack of "next gen" midfield option showing themselves.

Pretty much nailed it I reckon. I reckon Scott has coached pretty well this year good to see him get a mention.

Back