Preview Rd 19, 2014 - Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough if you're in the drop Rog school, but I don't think it will happen. I think Goose might have a niggle, but at any rate Lisle will be given an opportunity to make it or break it... that's only fair and diligent on both the club and players part.
could drop mcstay, shift merrett back to defence and play lisle at FF. not sure if that would work though with 3 genuine KPD's who cant play small

When Hanley was tagged by Crowley, he said afterwards that he learnt a lot from the game and what to do to get away from taggers.

Well of he's right I think we'll win, just struggles for consistency but gee he's great when he's on, so good to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do we really have that bad at Etihad? We've won at least a couple there over the last two years. Would have guessed 50%? Seeing as we have only won a few games this season that doesnt seem so bad.

Also on a side note heard on the radio that Patfullllll was leading the comp in intercept marks over the last month (and Goose was in the top couple too)

Really? s**t my bad, sorry ZoBlitz. Here I was thinking you were even more of a perverse freak than beforehand...
And I thought your initial reply was sarcastic too!

Will go in unchanged I think. I wouldn't protest if Lisle got a shot up forward in Merrett's spot though. His best games in Lions colours have been without Brown. I juat worry about his ability to bring ball to ground, create spillages and prevent defensive marks.

As much as im on the 'Drop D.Merret' train I dont think its gonna happen. Id love to see what lilse can do but I think his time is up.

Go in unchanged and if beams is up to it he should get a full game. Didnt have an impact as sub last week. So maybe aish as sub (again unlikely).

Possible Numpty question...

How is it/why is it that Etihad is considered "Fast"?

If it is so, that must give us an advantage.

Probably got to do with the MCG being 6-7m wider on both wings, making it less tempting for teams to stuff around with the ball there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as im on the 'Drop D.Merret' train I dont think its gonna happen. Id love to see what lilse can do but I think his time is up.

Go in unchanged and if beams is up to it he should get a full game. Didnt have an impact as sub last week. So maybe aish as sub (again unlikely).

I'm of the opposite opinion - I think Merrett is being asked to sacrifice his preferred game as a defender to help the team out up forward. He is struggling a bit with that, but at least he's taking the main heat away from Close et al, and providing a focus for the crumbers.
It'd be a bit harsh to then turn around and condemn him for failing up forward. If a better option up forward presents, Merrett should be given the opportunity to go down back - rather than oust Goose, I'd suspect Gardiner or McStay would have to step down.

With a roof and air-conditioning, it takes away the humidity and air currents to make the ball travel a touch faster through the air and easier to grab without moisture on the leather.

Do we really have that bad at Etihad? We've won at least a couple there over the last two years. Would have guessed 50%? Seeing as we have only won a few games this season that doesnt seem so bad.

I was trying to find what the ridiculous number of games the Demons have lost in a row at Etihad was and saw this article was put up last night, good timing!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ome-under-the-etihad-roof-20140731-zz3cl.html

So we're fairly average at Etihad, taking into account the strength of our team over the years and the away factor.

The brain is a bit tired but a quick calculation says the given the Demons relative strength over the years, if you take out the horror 18 loss streak they're on they previously went at a 55% win rate at Etihad, plus they've looked okay there this season.

Don't think it will mean much but interesting to look at the numbers.

It's a fairly 'skinny' ground, compared to the MCG/SCG/Gabba. The surface is usually fairly hard and the roof means conditions will nearly always be good (lack of rain, good air). I don't think it's a massive difference, but it seems to suit quicker 'up the guts' footy because of it.

Further to the above article, as far as I remember Kardinia Park is the 'skinniest' ground used in the AFL - I'd suggest it's no coincidence that Geelong also play Etihad very well.

e: well beaten on the Etihad fast thing!

Lions to bury the Dees by 8-10 goals, Merrett bagging 4 :D

Grimes out of the Dees side. In comes Daniel Cross.

Something tells me they wanted to avoid media-scrutiny by dropping him today, instead of yesterday.

I'm of the opposite opinion - I think Merrett is being asked to sacrifice his preferred game as a defender to help the team out up forward. He is struggling a bit with that, but at least he's taking the main heat away from Close et al, and providing a focus for the crumbers.
It'd be a bit harsh to then turn around and condemn him for failing up forward. If a better option up forward presents, Merrett should be given the opportunity to go down back - rather than oust Goose, I'd suspect Gardiner or McStay would have to step down.

Totally agree. Merrett is a walk up start. If he was ever dropped backed to reserves I'm sure he would dominate and prove that he's not in competition with players such as Lisle and Paine, but rather a class above. At this stage I also think Merrett in the side is better for the development of players such as Gardiner, McStay and especially Close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back