RDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forum's are all about having an opinion.. this is what its all about .. nice work Sprech.. the lads will be up and about for a big effort against the Roos this weekend?

Any chance of a few interesting wins tomorrow.. could the Rams upstage the Cats? The Centrals pull out a win against the Bombers and could the Roos topple the Hawks on their home turf? With rain predicted.. things could get very interesting..

Any chance of a few interesting wins tomorrow.. could the Rams upstage the Cats? The Centrals pull out a win against the Bombers and could the Roos topple the Hawks on their home turf? With rain predicted.. things could get very interesting..

Riddell decimated by injury this week I am told. Massive opportunity for Centrals.

Harrison Hyundai Seniors - Round 4

Diggers Rest (3-0, 2nd) Vs Wallan (2-1, 7th)
After seeing all 4 sides that are considered the top 4 for 2012, the Burra were by far and away the most impressive. The game style that has been introduced this season is going to make Diggers Rest a very tough side to face. Last week in difficult conditions they had to work pretty hard against Kilmore, but were a touch of class above their opponents. The excellent start to the year of Stu Clarke continued, whilst the forward line continued to function without Brent Tuckey.
Wallan are well positioned to once again fill a finals spot in 2012 as it stands. They face tough opposition this week, but are more than capable of pushing Diggers if they have their work rate at the right level. Wallan are well known as tough opposition if they show up with the right attitude.
Key:
Depends on which Wallan shows up to this match up. The Burra are flying early in the year so if Wallan aren't at the top of their game they could get blown away early.
Player to watch:
Diggers Rest - Stuart Clarke has been superb so far for the Burra, the hard working midfielder has gone to another level under the new game style.
Wallan - Recruit Glen Poorter had an impact last week booting 5 goals in the win against Broadford. Probably the key recruit of the off season for the Magpies.
Tip:
The Burras are flying, Wallan are performing solidly, with the list the Burra have, the Magpies face a really tough trip out to Diggers this week.
Diggers Rest by 40 points.

Sunbury Kangaroos (3-0, 1st) Vs Lancefield (0-3, 12th)
Another tough game for the Tigers in what is a very tough start to the year, they faced Macedon, Romsey, Sunbury and Riddell all in a row, luckily they don't have to face Diggers until Round 9. The Tigers have strengthened their line up with the addition of the Fonua brothers which will add some much needed size, the youngsters just need to work through this period and learn as much as they can from their opposition.
The Kangaroos sit atop the ladder after getting over the line against Riddell last week, they performed pretty well in that game and can use this game to shore up their structures heading into some bigger games in coming weeks.
Key:
The Roos have far too much class, but the key for the Tigers is competing, especially in the contested ball stakes, then control of the tempo when they have it. The Roos need to steady their structures as they have a pretty big month of football ahead.
Player to watch:
Sunbury - Ryan Hatty was in plenty last week and seems to float under the radar of opposition sides as well as his own. He uses the ball well and can win it in both contested and uncontested situations.
Lancefield - Dan Rebbecchi was again the Tigers best last week and is worth watching how this youngster leads his inexperienced and experienced teammates alike.
Tip:
Very tough day at the office for the Tigers.
Sunbury by 100+

Broadford (0-3, 11th) Vs Woodend/Hesket (1-2, 9th)
The Roos will be looking to open up their account this season at home this week against the Hawks. They have been a little unlucky the past 2 weeks after being overrun by the Rams and then pushing the Magpies to 3 goals last week. The Roos need some confidence in themselves and they have an opportunity to get that here.
The Hawks were brave last week in the loss to the Cats, but the young list still has a lot of improvement needed in 2012. Whilst they are a young list, the Hawks do have some excellent young talent that will shine in the future, they just need to win games like this one to assist in building the confidence of those kids.
Key:
The midfield will play a massive part in this game, the Roos have a stronger bodied midfield who, when they can manufacture space can be very dangerous going forward. The Hawks will need to run, carry and spread to put pressure on the Roos midfield to go both ways.
Player to watch:
Broadford - Grant Wearne has continued his B&F form from last year, while he is generally in the Roos best, he is capable of dominating a contest, that is what the Roos fans will want to see this week.
Woodend/Hesket - Plenty of big wraps on Matty Quinn, looks as though the young ruckman could have quite the future ahead of him.
Tip:
This could easily qualify as the match of the round, the game seems to be evenly poised, based on the midfield experience in the Roos line up I give them the slight edge.
Broadford by 8 points.

Kilmore (0-3, 10th) Vs Romsey (2-1, 4th)
4 weeks ago, this game would have been marked down by many as the match of the round. It should have been the battle between last years premier against this years biggest improver.
Instead, we fast forward to Round 4 and whilst the Redbacks are starting to find their groove with almost a full list going into this game, the Blues have been disappointing. Another loss last week to the Burra has them sitting in equal last position. While last weeks performance was much improved, this is a real test for where the Kilmore list stands, will they accept that they might lose this game, or will they grind it out and make the Redbacks work.
Key:
Both sides have an attacking midfield, so the side that gets the most defensive assistance in the game, with the midfielders working back as well as forward, will gain an advantage.
Player to watch:
Kilmore - Matthew Swindles returned to the club after a stint with APW in the EDFL, he is a talented youngster who finds plenty of the ball.
Romsey - Cam Dawson makes his return to the Redbacks line up this week after serving his suspension from the Preliminary Final. Cam would be itching at the bit to get stuck into the year and redemption from missing last years GF.
Tip:
The Blues have struggled so far this season and hard to see them turning around their fortunes here. The Redbacks are just winding up and ready to explode.
Romsey by 50 points.

Riddell (1-2, 8th) Vs Melton Centrals (2-1, 3rd)
When was the last time that the Bombers sat outside the RDFL top 6?? Would be a while I dare suggest. The Bombers seem to be a little behind the 8 ball as it stands, from what I can gather they haven't had the greatest preseason and the possibility exists that this could be contributing to their current injuries, but on the other hand, we have to remember, the Bombers first 3 weeks have been last years Grand Finalists and a side that would be pretty close to the current favorites as it stands, so the results aren't possibly as bad as they seem.
Centrals started the season on fire, but were bought crashing back to earth last week by the rampaging Rams. There should be nothing but disappointment out at Maccy Park this week as they were in a position to move to 3-0 and put themselves well and truly in the mix for a finals spot. Unfortunately, the trend of losing games they should win in recent years continued last week. They will be looking to bounce back just as much as the Bombers.
Key:
The "Riddell" effect could come into play in this one. If ever the Bombers were reachable for Centrals it would be this week, they have several key players out and are a little behind the 8 ball, but the fact that they are "Riddell" could play on the minds of the Centrals players, the old "beaten before we ran out" is the biggest danger this week.
Player to watch:
Riddell - Might just be Haydn Ross, I have seen the Bombers in all 3 games this year so far, and while his 1st half last week was very good, he has been a little disappointing in my opinion. The Bombers have named him in the best 2 or 3 in every game, but that might be automatic programming.
Centrals - Brett Payne has been Centrals leading goal kicker for the past couple of years but has had a quiet start to the year, he needs to have more of an impact on the game in conjunction with the recruits and other big forwards rather than being impacted by their arrival.
Tip:
This could send a few waves through the competition if Centrals can get the win here, the Bombers are gettable at the moment, but they still have so much class in the line up and they should bounce back.
Riddell by 30 points.

Match of the Round
Macedon (2-1, 5th) Vs Rockbank (2-1, 6th)
Surprisingly there are quite a few games that could have qualified for match of the round this week, but this match up could have far reaching consequences for both of these sides. The Cats had to fight for their win against the Hawks last week, from all reports a couple of serious injuries at Tony Clarke might put some pressure on the depth. Kris Preston has stepped up in recent weeks, another 4 goals last week from the big forward. The Cats biggest strength is the run and carry from Half Back through the midfield, they will be hoping the form of the midfield can carry the load to cover the injuries.
The Rams have had a big two weeks, they stormed home to defeat Broadford two weeks ago before holding off a challenge from Centrals late to win another big game at home. These two wins have firmly planted the Rams in finals contention and a win here against the Cats could announce them to the competition.
Key:
The Cats running game up against the Rams contested game. The Cats have a reputation of struggling against the more physical style game of some opponents, on Tony Clarke they will be looking to break the game open with pace and ball use. The Rams will be looking to put physical pressure on the Cats at every opportunity, they will need to get the ball deep to give their forwards as many opportunities to score as possible.
Player to watch:
Macedon - James Wright when in his best form is one of the premier players in the competition, he proved that in the first final against Diggers Rest last year. If he is finding plenty of the ball and providing drive, the Cats will have the advantage.
Rockbank - Steve Paone has kicked 5 goals in the past 2 weeks and is providing the Rams with a solid forward option. The test will be if he can kick goals against a finals contender.
Tip:
With a little rain predicted, this should be a ripping contest at Tony Clarke, both sides need to pick up early wins to establish themselves in the finals race, so much will be on the line.
Macedon by 10 points.

Good luck to everyone on Saturday!!! :thumbsu:

OMNI"S Tips Round 4.

OMFG ! Bring out the screen, its time poor old Lancefield were given the "Green Dream" . Sunbury to pretty much do as they please in a % booster at home tomorrow & win by 200+ pts. Meacham to kick 20 goals ! (if he kicks straight ???)

***NEWS FLASH*** Riddell have not been playing their best footy at present. Well DA ! The Bombers have had to move their more versatile players around to fill gaps in their line up. Coach Power has had to plug more holes in his leaking dyke than John Holmes had to do in his whole career ! Some better sign for them last week in their narrow loss against Sunbury. Whereas Melton were disappointing in their loss to the Rams. Pride & a home ground advantage should get the win for Riddell by 27 pts.

Danger, Danger, Danger, Will Robinson !......Or that should be - big Al Meldrum. Macedon v Rockbank. This is just the sort of game you think the Cats "Could" drop.
The Rams have proved so far this season that they are a handy unit & not to be taken lightly. These two sides have built up quite a little rivalry over the years & tomorrows match at the Tony Clark should be a real cracker. I'm tipping the Cats (just) by 3 pts.

Sorry Doon', but your boys have been ordinary so far this season. A prominent RDFL football identity remarked to me at the start of the year that he thought Kilmore would be the BIG improvers in 2012. Well I dont know WHAT he was on, cause Kilmore have shown NOTHING ! And if it wasnt for the easy goals they kicked in the last quarter of trash time against Diggers, that clash would have looked really ugly !
Romsey should have little trouble disposing of the Blues tomorrow in what promises to be nothing short of a practice drill to the tune of 78 pts. Davo' another 10+ !

Diggers becoming a little arrogant ??? Never ! Weeeeeell, giving their star players the week off when you've got what is arguably a "B" grade game coming up is just a wee bit conceited dont you think ???
Maybe ? Or maybe just good list management !
Anyway Wallan will be up against it here if coach Elliott decides to turn on the Burras "A" game tomorrow. Or will he just opt for another bruise free coasting win ? Either way Diggers to pluck the Pies by 42 pts.

Wanna see a good competitive tight game of footy tomorrow ? Then get your arse up to sunny Broadford - Gateway to........... Well, gateway to somewhere I'm sure....... Woodend are the poor unfortunates that have drawn the short straw & will take a cut lunch & a thermos for the arduous trek over to Outback Broadford town. Once there, the Hawks face a Broadford outfit that is showing some real fight so far this season. At least for the first three quarters that is ! Anyhow, tomorrow I think Finchies boys resilience may just hold out for the whole four quarters & the Roos will come away with a hard fought victory in what could be a see-sawing affair by a margin of 11 pts.

Re: Harrison Hyundai Seniors - Round 4

Disgusting by Lancefield today. I expect criminal charges will be forthcoming.

Final Scores Round 4 -

Riddell - 17. 12. 114. Def' Melton - 1. 9. 15.
Macedon - 19. 9. 123. Def' Rockbank - 3. 3. 21.
Diggers Rest - 104. Def Wallan - 30.
Romsey - 16. 10. 106. Def' Kilmore - 6. 8. 44.
Broadford - 11. 18. 84. Def' Woodend - 11. 6. 72.
Sunbury - 38. 22. 250. Def' Lancefield - 4. 0. 24.....................................
Chris Meacham a little disappointing :)eek:) with 13 goals 15 behinds !!!

Bit ordinary to type something like that without at least indicating what Lancefield did wrong.

It was all one player, should receive a life ban from the RDFL.

Incidents included kicking the face of a player (who had been punched from behind) whilst he was lying on the ground injured. Following that up with 5-10 quick punches to the face of another player who was already lying on the ground unconscious (again from a behind the play punch). Then threatening members of the crowd as he was sent off.

If your losing by 100+ points and come out with this sort of stuff, you're obviously not interested in playing football.

Premiership Market after Round 4 -

Diggers Rest - $1.30
Romsey - $2.00
Sunbury - $2.50
Riddell - $4.00
Macedon - $4.50
Melton, Rockbank, Woodend, Kilmore,Wallan & Broadford - $25.00
Lancefield . $201.00

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was all one player, should receive a life ban from the RDFL.

Incidents included kicking the face of a player (who had been punched from behind) whilst he was lying on the ground injured. Following that up with 5-10 quick punches to the face of another player who was already lying on the ground unconscious (again from a behind the play punch). Then threatening members of the crowd as he was sent off.

If your losing by 100+ points and come out with this sort of stuff, you're obviously not interested in playing football.

That bloke should receive a life ban from all sport!!!:mad:

Unfortunately it was a very ugly malee after some of the kanga boys remonstrated with a player after shirt fronting meacham in a marking contest. That incident itself could have been worse than it was, with Meach taking a couple of minutes to recover before running 30 meters into an open goal, while the Lancefield boys were busy trying to win something elsewhere.
Hopefully Bobby will recover well after scans and a broken eye socket.

Well done to the Sunbury committee on their approach and talking sense to a number of emotional supporters that were thirsty for blood after one of the most disgusting acts on a football feild.

Well done to the Sunbury committee on their approach and talking sense to a number of emotional supporters that were thirsty for blood after one of the most disgusting acts on a football feild.

True. Probably handled as well as it could of been.

I take it you were there and can vouch that I'm not over-reacting? Seriously, one of the scariest things I've seen on a football field. It felt like i was watching an assault...

Final Scores Round 4 -

Riddell - 17. 12. 114. Def' Melton - 1. 9. 15.
Macedon - 19. 9. 123. Def' Rockbank - 3. 3. 21.
Diggers Rest - 104. Def Wallan - 30.
Romsey - 16. 10. 106. Def' Kilmore - 6. 8. 44.
Broadford - 11. 18. 84. Def' Woodend - 11. 6. 72.
Sunbury - 38. 22. 250. Def' Lancefield - 4. 0. 24.....................................
Chris Meacham a little disappointing :)eek:) with 13 goals 15 behinds !!!

Just putting it out there Omni, you are a complete flog!!! Yes this is an open forum and everyone is aloud to have their opinion and my is that you are a complete flog. Very personell of late really disappointed you didn't bother to come have a chat last week too.

Unfortunately it was a very ugly malee after some of the kanga boys remonstrated with a player after shirt fronting meacham in a marking contest. That incident itself could have been worse than it was, with Meach taking a couple of minutes to recover before running 30 meters into an open goal, while the Lancefield boys were busy trying to win something elsewhere.

Was it a "King Hit" ? Was it in the play ? Was it behind the play ? Were they standing toe to toe ? Was there an official report ? Did the umpire see the incident ?
What the hell is going on with the Lancefield Football Club ???

True. Probably handled as well as it could of been.

I take it you were there and can vouch that I'm not over-reacting? Seriously, one of the scariest things I've seen on a football field. It felt like i was watching an assault...

I was there, your description was spot on and put the image back in my head.
I believe what happens on the field stays on the field but this was far from allowing that to happen
If an incident can impact somebodys lively hood charges should always be laid.
A sports arena does not give anybody the god given right to act like a filthy animal.
With Lancefield being the proud club that they are, limited numbers or not, i would be expecting that they cut ties with the player. Especially from the reaction of their coach, he looked like he wanted to kill him.

Was it a "King Hit" ? Was it in the play ? Was it behind the play ? Were they standing toe to toe ? Was there an official report ? Did the umpire see the incident ?
What the hell is going on with the Lancefield Football Club ???

It was exactly how Glen Ox described it. The player was red carded and apparently 4 charges against him by the umps. The entire football community could only hope the Tribunal hang him, and never be seen on the feild again.

Just putting it out there Omni, you are a complete flog!!! Yes this is an open forum and everyone is aloud to have their opinion and my is that you are a complete flog. Very personell of late really disappointed you didn't bother to come have a chat last week too.

I think it's just a bit of tongue in cheek stirring pal. (he predicted 20 from you) I actually told him to write this :D

It was tongue in cheek pal ! :confused: Obviously you are taking yourself a little way to seriously now & cant take a joke. I guess that must come with being a "Big Time" senior coach & all ! :cool:
I dont believe I ever stooped to personal abuse like you just have either champ ?:mad:
And if I had known you had wanted a chat last week pal, I would have not worked & gotten to the ground much sooner than I did. :eek:

Just by the by, I am a big fan of Forwards, always have been, always will be, (as if it wasnt blalantly obvious by now !) & think booting 13 goals in a game (any game) is a great achievement.
I was just being a little mischievous pal by embellishing the 15 behinds cause I thought your kicking last week wasnt quite as good as I remember it being. In fact I remarked to a friend that if you had converted all your shots on goal I would have given you a vote ! Actually for what its worth (probably not much from a "Flog") I thought it was your BEST performance against your old side that I have seen pal.

Anyhow if you still want a chat, you know where to get my number. I'm always up for chin wag, otherwise I'll see you in round 13.

It was exactly how Glen Ox described it. The player was red carded and apparently 4 charges against him by the umps. The entire football community could only hope the Tribunal hang him, and never be seen on the feild again.

Weeeell, I'm sure if it happened the way its been described on here then justice will be done. The RDFL tribunal has come a very long way since the bad old days & the footy community should feel comfortable that they will get it right. :thumbsu:

What are the young players injuries ? Are they serious ?

Was it a "King Hit" ? Was it in the play ? Was it behind the play ? Were they standing toe to toe ? Was there an official report ? Did the umpire see the incident ?\nWhat the hell is going on with the Lancefield Football Club ???
\n\n

good luck to bobby,lets hope he is ok and makes a speedy recovery. i have no doubt that the lancefield football club will deal with this incident promptly. theres plenty id like to say about the gutless player that did this but i better not, but im sure this wont be the last we hear about this...,

Agree on all points you've made, especially the life ban part. No place in the RDFL for dogs acts like the one that occured today at Boardman.

A proud club like Lancefield does not need that type of person running around in the yellow and black.

All the best to Bobby, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

On a lighter note, easy win for the Kangas but some really good signs !

Anyone care to name player/players involved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back