30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
image.jpg http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=236

The nab challenge inspired me to look for good local ovals, the right size for the usual sized crowd

Burbank oval williamstown, where some of the stand is converted to function rooms

Fankhauser Reserve on the Gold Coast is a pretty good venue, home of Southport AFC who play in the NEAFL competition.

914756.jpg

Check out more piccies of this place at the link below...
http://www.austadiums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3962

Last edited:

I liked the Village Green in Sydney (UNSW/ES played home games there)
Didn't really like many others in Sydney.
Though, I think East Coast (Now Sydney Hills I think?) Eagles have a nice one now that it's finished, but I left for Adelaide before it was completed, so I don't know how it looks currently.

I love parking down at the southern end of Wally Tew Reserve in FTG and watching the game with the picturesque backdrop of the Dandenongs, a few houses dotted over them. One of those scenes you just never get tired of looking at during the late afternoon in the middle of winter.

The local ground in Heathcote is a beauty.

Fantastic backdrop of hills.

Pretty much anywhere rural in a mountainous area has potential in this regard.
If you're in the grandstands of Prospect Oval (North Adelaide) the background of the hills are amazing.
Too bad I think the stands are revolting. The outer is nice though :) Probably the best outer in the SANFL

On a different note, I kicked a footy at Queenstown Oval once. The Tasmanian one, not the Kiwi one.

It was January, but a balmy top of six degrees which the wind made feel even colder. Barely a blade of grass to be seen, the bare hills (which are amazing in their own, stark way) and the disgracefully polluted Queen River gurgling along in the background.

Was...unique.

Now that I think, I remember playing a game of rep footy when I was 15 at Wentworth, on the NSW/VIC border, not far from SA.
Can't think of the name of the ground!
Was lovely to play on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 44655 http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=236

The nab challenge inspired me to look for good local ovals, the right size for the usual sized crowd

Burbank oval williamstown, where some of the stand is converted to function rooms
Having been to this ground for a regular season VFL match, I must say I absolutely hate it!

The grandstand is miniscule, the outer is wet, sandy and there is no place to sit comfortably (aside from the occasional park bench dotted around the ground), there are no gates in the fence so you can't get onto the ground to listen to the coaches unless you enter from in front of the race, it stinks, it's cold, the rooms are the smallest I've ever been in, and the food sellers and toilets are housed in old tin portable buildings.
So much for the multi-million $$ upgrade!

Aside from North Port, I really enjoyed Cramer St/Preston City Oval. Nice grandstand, terracing, old style scoreboard, the works. It really feels like you are back in 1983 when you walk in.

Bob Neil 1 is a nice place for a kick

Bloody oath and with the extended long room a nice place for a drink whilst watching others kick and catch.

With Bob Neil #1 being only 300m from Adelaide Oval, don't be surprised if you see AFL teams having a kick and catch the day before, or a few hours before a big game.

550061_172065466247785_1831151511_n.jpg

524800_172068172914181_2104754922_n.jpg

554624_212924642161867_1819707642_n.jpg

That West End/Bob Neil sign is the stuff of icon

Bob Neil is a Legend.

1004856_518807304906931_1196628768_n.png

and it made the icons of Adelaide art in this 30th anniversary edition of the Adelaide Review.

http://www.adelaidereview.com.au/fe...-thirty-years-designing-the-anniversary-cover

CELEBRATING THIRTY YEARS: DESIGNING THE ANNIVERSARY COVER
February 2014
  • THE ADELAIDE REVIEW
This month The Adelaide Review turns 30 and to celebrate we enlisted street artist Ankles to design a special anniversary cover for us. He explains his design for the March 2014 edition of The Adelaide Review.

With the icons, what side of Adelaide were you trying to show and what were you trying to capture through them?

Taking the format of a tattoo flash sheet, I painted this dense collection of images that spotlight some of Adelaide's overlooked and less obvious features. In avoiding all the typical tourist attractions I wanted to represent as many recognisable, but often forgotten, icons of Adelaide. I picked the details from the architecture, design, history and culture of Adelaide that locals with a sharp eye and keen wits might be able to recognise.

30-years-the-adelaide-review.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back