Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am feeling anti dockery and believe it is time the club moves into an era of optimism an belief. We are set up off field, strong financially, great facilities that are being invested in again. And a strong young list that should see us ready to love the next decade at the club.

Below are some reasons you should enjoy the footy this year, even if it isn't perfect, as seen through the lens of the next five to seven years.

- Luke Jackson: He is a game turner and winner already. His body has filled out a little more and even if we temper expectations to a normal growth curve from here, he is a top 15 player in the league. If he develops how I think he will, he is a top three player for a decade.

- Jye Amiss: His first full season resulted in 41 goals. If he was playing in Victoria he would be known as the best key forward prospect in the league. Is a couple of preseasons from ideal body shape and i wouldn't be surprised if he kicked fifty this season. He shouldn't hit his peak for another 4 years. But lets say his future performance is at 2024 and 2025 levels. That is one of the best KPF's (yes you vic clowns, KPF) in the league for what should be at least a decade.

- Andy and Caleb: There is improvement left in them, however we should expect high output for at least another 8 years. Both could captain, I favour Andy, but wouldn't mind CS. Another strong position to find ourselves in. Both AA level players and we get them for years to come.

- Young: this season should see him in the AA squad or thereabouts. A strong mark, bigger body and long kick. I think he kicks 14-16 goals this season and increases that to around 20 a year there after. Hasn't reached his peak, but even with no improvement we get very good football for close to a decade.

- Darcy: There is a lot of improvement left in him and I think he is going to kick big goals and take huge contested marks in finals and GF's that turn games for us. I want to see the shhhh come out in a GF.

- Johnson: Size and pace with skill. I think he gets it close to 23 times a game this season and we won't see his best for another two years yet. Inside and outside he will be a problem.

- Ras: I rate him, He knows how to find the ball and get it out. Physically he will be able to run all day and wont be easily moved off the ball.

- Freddy: In a team with talls who are winning or at least halving contests we will see the best of his freakish talent. I expect him to be a 30 plus goal a year player regularly.

- Cox: Will not be the best KPD in the league. But will be an A grader for a decade.

- Walker: Could become the best lockdown small defender in the league. With confidence to run with the ball, should sow some chaos and provide highlights. Again, should be great for the best part of a decade.

- Ryan: I want to transition him from kicking out, however he should be good for intercepts and playing taller than he is for the next 5-6 seasons. I was unsure if he belonged in the group below or not, however, he has proven he can play at least at an AA squad level.

- Clark: (suggested addition) A definite trade win/positive. AA potential. I hope he is given license to attack with dare. Watching him open up games for our forwards will be delightful.

Then we have a plethora of B grader types who can offer a lot to the team.

Aish will be good for another three to five, doing his job and doing it well consistently.
Switta.
Treacy can play a role. Run and move the ball well from the wings to half forward.
Pearce: When fit is a solid defender. Another two to three years while we develop some youngsters will be vital.

The could be anything group:

Simpson: He looks to have it. Who knows what the real season will bring, however, this guy looks like a lock to be at least a very solid B grader and possibly more.

Draper/Murphy/Hatless: All have shown glimpses and enough to suggest they can come into the team and improve it eventually.

Chapman: Injuries have meant I am less bullish on him. If he was injury free I would place him right after Jackson and Amiss on this list. Fingers crossed on Chappy.

Draft:

We have a great hand coming at the end of this year. Enough that we could land a gun and still pick in the first round for a top end talent that meets needs.

Trading:

I think we have a core locked in. The chatter makes it seem like we are at least a 50/50 chance to bring over McDonald. If we were to get him or Sam Taylor the year after, there wouldn't be a team that could match our top end talent across the field.

I am sure that I have missed some obvious ones, so add your own. The point is, I want to see a bullish approach from the club. That means we should evaluate Longmuir without fear of who will replace him. Freo is one of the clubs best placed to win two or three premierships in the next decade. We should act like it.

Last edited:
I am feeling anti dockery and believe it is time the club moves into an era of optimism an belief. We are set up off field, strong financially, great facilities that are being invested in again. And a strong young list that should see us ready to love the next decade at the club.

Below are some reasons you should enjoy the footy this year, even if it isn't perfect, as seen through the lens of the next five to seven years.

- Luke Jackson: He is a game turner and winner already. His body has filled out a little more and even if we temper expectations to a normal growth curve from here, he is a top 15 player in the league. If he develops how I think he will, he is a top three player for a decade.

- Jye Amiss: His first full season resulted in 41 goals. If he was playing in Victoria he would be known as the best key forward prospect in the league. Is a couple of preseasons from ideal body shape and i wouldn't be surprised if he kicked fifty this season. He shouldn't hit his peak for another 4 years. But lets say his future performance is at 2024 and 2025 levels. That is one of the best KPF's (yes you vic clowns, KPF) in the league for what should be at least a decade.

- Andy and Caleb: There is improvement left in them, however we should expect high output for at least another 8 years. Both could captain, I favour Andy, but wouldn't mind CS. Another strong position to find ourselves in. Both AA level players and we get them for years to come.

- Young: this season should see him in the AA squad or thereabouts. A strong mark, bigger body and long kick. I think he kicks 14-16 goals this season and increases that to around 20 a year there after. Hasn't reached his peak, but even with no improvement we get very good football for close to a decade.

- Darcy: There is a lot of improvement left in him and I think he is going to kick big goals and take huge contested marks in finals and GF's that turn games for us. I want to see the shhhh come out in a GF.

- Johnson: Size and pace with skill. I think he gets it close to 23 times a game this season and we won't see his best for another two years yet. Inside and outside he will be a problem.

- Ras: I rate him, He knows how to find the ball and get it out. Physically he will be able to run all day and wont be easily moved off the ball.

- Freddy: In a team with talls who are winning or at least halving contests we will see the best of his freakish talent. I expect him to be a 30 plus goal a year player regularly.

- Cox: Will not be the best KPD in the league. But will be an A grader for a decade.

- Walker: Could become the best lockdown small defender in the league. With confidence to run with the ball, should sow some chaos and provide highlights. Again, should be great for the best part of a decade.

- Ryan: I want to transition him from kicking out, however he should be good for intercepts and playing taller than he is for the next 5-6 seasons. I was unsure if he belonged in the group below or not, however, he has proven he can play at least at an AA squad level.

Then we have a plethora of B grader types who can offer a lot to the team.

Aish will be good for another three to five, doing his job and doing it well consistently.
Switta.
Treacy can play a role. Run and move the ball well from the wings to half forward.
Pearce: When fit is a solid defender. Another two to three years while we develop some youngsters will be vital.

The could be anything group:

Simpson: He looks to have it. Who knows what the real season will bring, however, this guy looks like a lock to be at least a very solid B grader and possibly more.

Draper/Murphy/Hatless: All have shown glimpses and enough to suggest they can come into the team and improve it eventually.

Chapman: Injuries have meant I am less bullish on him. If he was injury free I would place him right after Jackson and Amiss on this list. Fingers crossed on Chappy.

Draft:

We have a great hand coming at the end of this year. Enough that we could land a gun and still pick in the first round for a top end talent that meets needs.

Trading:

I think we have a core locked in. The chatter makes it seem like we are at least a 50/50 chance to bring over McDonald. If we were to get him or Sam Taylor the year after, there wouldn't be a team that could match our top end talent across the field.

I am sure that I have missed some obvious ones, so add your own. The point is, I want to see a bullish approach from the club. That means we should evaluate Longmuir without fear of who will replace him. Freo is one of the clubs best placed to win two or three premierships in the next decade. We should act like it.
Well Done Reaction GIF

Just look out for Mattis telling people Pearce is no good as a captain, then something REALLY weird has happened

To be fair I don’t think I’ve ever said he is no good as captain. I just think he is limited. But anyway this is the optimism thread!!

To be fair I don’t think I’ve ever said he is no good as captain. I just think he is limited. But anyway this is the optimism thread!!
I tried to pick a bugbear of yours that was simplest =)

Anyways, optimism, we have arguably the most amount of talent under 25 of any list in the AFL AND we have 3 first rounds picks.

Ric Flair Wrestling GIF by WWE

I tried to pick a bugbear of yours that was simplest =)

Anyways, optimism, we have arguably the most amount of talent under 25 of any list in the AFL AND we have 3 first rounds picks.

Ric Flair Wrestling GIF by WWE

And fair enough if I think about my posts. haha.

Talent stacked and 3 first round picks! Bam!

And even if we have a crap year at least we get the high pick for a player or trade leverage!

And fair enough if I think about my posts. haha.

Talent stacked and 3 first round picks! Bam!

And even if we have a crap year at least we get the high pick for a player or trade leverage!
How very unoptimistic of you.

What you mean is, even after we have a great year, we'll still have two top 10 picks from Pies and Port!!!

Last edited:
How very unoptimistic of you.

What you mean is, even after we have a great year, we'll still two top 10 picks from Pies and Port!!!

I have no bases for this belief, however I think the pies will be in the 5-8 range this year not the top four.

Port are a mystery team to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they finished top four or 10th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the sentiment poshman, there are times when we all get a bit too negative.

That said, I wish there was more outside dash and goalkicking ability in that top bracket.

Also, I’m not convinced that Ras belongs in the top bracket from what I’ve seen so far.

I like the sentiment poshman, there are times when we all get a bit too negative.

That said, I wish there was more outside dash and goalkicking ability in that top bracket.

Also, I’m not convinced that Ras belongs in the top bracket from what I’ve seen so far.

That's fair. I think Ras is there based on me liking the look of him. And I agree we want more outside run and dash. More line breaking speed would be welcome.

We have three firsts coming our way at the end of the season. I hope we address the need for speed.

Having said that, if we are moving the ball well, Switta, Freddy and Simpson will look very fast.

If Port finish 10th with Kern having another year on his contract I think I’ll just pitch a tent on the Port board.

My lols will have no bounds
I can't decide what would be more entertaining; that, or Port winning the flag and watching the internal struggle from Port fans about whether they can celebrate Kern the Port premiership hero.

a major question is Justin Longmuir good enough to send this dockers side into multiple finals campaigns in september?

The big question is what are you optimistic about?

I am optimistic that if Longmuir isn't the right person we can go and get someone top shelf to lead us to premiership glory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back