2nds Reserves 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is that when teams have restrictions imposed, the other teams only need to be smart enough to work out how to exploit them in one game, and that is what is now the norm.

Swans will struggle to "win" a NEAFL trophy in those circumstances, especially when the senior side is still alive, and players' game times are being "managed".

The real advantage to the true "senior" team is in the bottom end ... there is a huge difference in maturity between a 17-18 y.o. and a 20-23 y.o., physically and mentally.

So far as dinosaurs ... .people condoning "one incident" and excusing it since he "got reported" and "it is a Grand Final" just validates my point ... they didn't play like that all year, and they never picked a player like piggy in a game against a top side all year (who missed for him?) ... one step forward, two steps backwards ... well coached, right tactics, well done!

Yes the preliminary rounds are a different story, and do provide development opportunities for all clubs.

That's why I suggest, after the prelims, split into 3 conferences, unrestricted, no complaints and the best team in each wins.

In saying that, I hope the Tigers go out and belt the Lions on Saturday!

(that's if they have sobered up by then!?:p )

Problem with swithing conferences for the finals it makes the competition micky mouse through the home and away, if the games are irrelvent were going to come up against teams like the Tigers or Ainslie resting their players knowing full well they dont have to worry about Uni or Tuggers taking their finals spot. The primary purpose of this is to ensure our ressies are playing in the strongest competition possible during the season, that's more important than the finals for the sake of the season.

And losing the NEAFL trophy while the senor side is still alive really shouldn't worry people to much.

The change that should be made is the player restrictions need to be consistent home and away and finals, 13 listed players on the field at any one time, can hack Everett missing as he played to much senior football.

Doing a bit of research on the VFL. No restrictions on AFL players or Rookies during the season, but the finals are alot different, just getting my head around those, but it still must be better if Vardy can play for Geelong in the Prelim and GF

It did not apply this year but the VFL used to have a 12-10 rule and according to my contacts at Frankston that now Bendigo and Coburg (and maybe Willi who had a fight with the dogs) also about to be stand alone again that rule will be re-implemented.

My point is that when teams have restrictions imposed, the other teams only need to be smart enough to work out how to exploit them in one game, and that is what is now the norm.

Swans will struggle to "win" a NEAFL trophy in those circumstances, especially when the senior side is still alive, and players' game times are being "managed".

The real advantage to the true "senior" team is in the bottom end ... there is a huge difference in maturity between a 17-18 y.o. and a 20-23 y.o., physically and mentally.

So far as dinosaurs ... .people condoning "one incident" and excusing it since he "got reported" and "it is a Grand Final" just validates my point ... they didn't play like that all year, and they never picked a player like piggy in a game against a top side all year (who missed for him?) ... one step forward, two steps backwards ... well coached, right tactics, well done!

Yes the preliminary rounds are a different story, and do provide development opportunities for all clubs.

That's why I suggest, after the prelims, split into 3 conferences, unrestricted, no complaints and the best team in each wins.

In saying that, I hope the Tigers go out and belt the Lions on Saturday!

(that's if they have sobered up by then!?:p )

White and Red, there will never be the perfect solution for AFL reserves as long as there isn't a stand alone comp for them where they will have no restrictions, and we will never agree to what is the best for a comp or a certain team, but as I said I think the AFL ressies being in any comp makes it better. Your suggestion does have merit but who knows.
I hope the Tigers go out and belt the Lions too and not all of them will have to sober up as they all didn't get on it. About 2 oclock this Saturday I think the celebrations will get serious.:)

Good luck mate.
I've got the VFL to put the finals restrictions on their website and as they said , it is very hard to get your head around it all.
IMO , i think if you have restrictions it should be 14 in the finals

So if you follow what Reserves coach Crouch said before the game last week about playing to give the firsts the best chance... give those close to senior selection a run , no word about wanting to win, then object achieved. Two or three more players who won't make firsts and who probably have had their cards marked for de listing will not help by playing in the NEAFL GF . Better have a look at a couple of good top ups for drafting perhaps.
Anyway it was the Swans who approached the old AFL Canberra to join the comp. cause they couldn't play their guys in positions where they wanted them at Port, it was too expensive and they still had to find spots for the leftover players.
Over recent years with restrictions wins have been shared between Swans/ Belconnen, Ainslie and Tigers so everyone should be happy.
With near full lists in the early days it was sad to see Swans top ups and rookies filling the back line spots getting frost bite while the list players played in the key positions and they flogged the Canberra sides.
Overall this comp has seen the likes of McVeigh, Bird, Jack, Reid, Grundy, Richards, Pike, Jetta, Everitt,Johnson,Malceski,Morton,Parker, LRT, Smith, Seeby, White, and other listed players spend time In the Ressies improving their trade so it can't be all bad. I follow the Swans so good luck tomorrow and lets get the double up with the Tigers!!

Good luck mate.
I've got the VFL to put the finals restrictions on their website and as they said , it is very hard to get your head around it all.
IMO , i think if you have restrictions it should be 14 in the finals
Mate I couldn't even find the regs on the site, but 14 seems the right number.
It is about development BUT everyone plays to win GF's, no matter at what level, they are very hard to get into let alone win.

I may cop some stick for this but after seeing the Griggs/Lamb incident live and on the stream, for mine Lamb went down far to easily.

Needed to be tougher than that given the occassion.

I copped a similar hit from Brian Lees in a ACT v VFA game a little while ago and while it stunned the heck out of me there was no way I was letting him no it hurt me.

If Lamb is to go the next step and I am sure he has the ability he needs to harden up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brisbane Lions Reserves won the NEAFL Championship this afternoon by 69 points over the Tigers. Amon Buchanan goes out with successive GF wins, well done on a good career.

The Brisbane Lions Reserves won the NEAFL Championship this afternoon by 69 points over the Tigers. Amon Buchanan goes out with successive GF wins, well done on a good career.
Yeh he was brilliant (trying to find the sarcasim button but cant find it), got reported for elbow to the head of a player after the ball long gone, great example this guy but hey its a grand final and anything is allowed? Pretty sure I heard that on here last week.

Came to my attention when I saw him play for North SHore in the SFL. He's last week's nominee for Rising Star of the SFL.
I only know what anyone can find out, and that is that he comes from Gunnedah (Swans' zone). Joining the dots, I would think that he has been embedded in North Shore to ripen him up a bit as a potential rookie pick. But I'm only guessing at that.

Guessing again. I wouldn't mind betting that any kid growing up in Gunnedah is probably good at some other sport as well as AFL. Might be a lonely life otherwise !

Bit late but i grew up in Gunnedah. Pretty sure i played soccer with Sam one year as a kid, no junior footy up there so had to wait till seniors to get a game. He was a couple of years younger so i had left town before he joined the footy club. Played a couple of school games with him, he was alot smaller at the time though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back