Analysis Review v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Membrey would have straightened us up a bit.

Ah well, a top team would have spanked us by over 100 points.:drunk::p

Awesome to hear the crowd cheer our new cult figure (Holmsey) every time he touches it.

Disappointed by the non-response of the either the Saints twitter, the coach in the post-match presser and ex-AFLPA boss in regards to the Goodes booing. Should have hit that on the head asap. I hope at least something is said.

I was there, didn't like it either, BUT, there has never ever been a sook like Goodes get such an armchair ride by the flogs in yellow EVER. That is the source. Not the other much lauded reason.

As for the game, thought Roos was decent 2nd game running, and I have hope for Minch, but if Sinclair and Lonie can get 15-20 possessions in the same spot, where does that leave him....

Was not a good game for us, but let's be honest our teams are at polar opposites.... frustrating....biggest frustration for me is the free gifts they get, i.e. Buddy, Heeney and a FS in mitchell, doesn't really make for a fair comp... but I guess life isn't fair.

Back to what we can control, I thought Ross, Roberton, Armo and Goddard showed plenty of positives.

St Kilda Brothers, we have a lot of work to do but we will get there, but I think 2019 at a minimum is when we will be a force. Look on the bright-side, its only 3 years away. Go Saints!

I have been watching the Saints for over 40 years and that was one of the worst efforts I have seen. I hope the boys turn up with something better for the final game next week.

Went to the game. Very hard to watch.

Sydney 31 - St Kilda 28 Inside 50's @ half time. We were competitive around the ball but our offensive disposal is atrocious.

Great coaching move by Longmire playing Rampe on Bruce, allowed Richards and Grundy to dictate play on our lesser players.
There were times when I looked into the forward 50 and it was Bruce, Ross, Murdoch, Weller, Gilbert & Minch - enough said. Missed the natural forwards like Billings, Sinclair, McCartin, Membrey and Lonie.

Jack steven - 33 possessions @ 33% efficiency enough said

Goddard will be a player but still has a lot to learn about positioning and one on one contests. Chips is a great mentor on field.

Richo's mantra of pressure, pressure, pressure needs to change to Pressure, Ball movement, Score.

Great Career Schneiderman.

Jack Steven needs to spend all summer working on kicking the ball when running slow not fast.
It is a technique issue with Jack everything has to be done fast , really needs someone about composure to work with him over summer.
Armitage is cooked mentally playing dumb, had a great year but needs to really work some things.
For example must push back of the mark , continually moves 2 steps back , kicks under pressure up in the air every time. Continually looks only left .
Reiwoldt going forward has to play on the wing that is a given, no heroic's like tonight either .

Overall the saints have a better year than I expected.
But will be extremely disappointed if by end of next year , some the guys who can't kick the ball are in the team.

Just got home from watching the match/bevvies and vietnamese afterwards

Wasn't a lot of positives. We started off OK, reasonable intensity in the first quarter but just seemed to fade progressively as the match wore on.
Main issues of turnovers due to poor skill, poor forward entry, and poor goal kicking were apparent from early on however.
I think Steven needs to spend considerable time working on kicking over preseason - it really limits him asa player - would go from very good to excellent if he could. Him and Roberton were our best on ground for mine.
Was fairly impressed with Holmes' ruckwork, long way to go around the ground though.

It was always going to be Sydney by at least 5-6 goals - I was pretty disappointed with how we just faded out of the game though and didn't respond by an improved second half. It also seemed that Sydney's shots at goals were just bouncing through or swinging in - probably a combination of luck on the day and the fact that they are a quality team.

Hopefully a better effort next week to round off the season.

Disappointed by the non-response of the either the Saints twitter, the coach in the post-match presser and ex-AFLPA boss in regards to the Goodes booing. Should have hit that on the head asap. I hope at least something is said.

There was very little booing from the crowd I thought (our poor play probably sucked the life out of everyone). Always going to be a few peanuts in every support base.

Yes, we have to understand that inconsistencies come through such an inexperienced squad, and they will be exposed badly against teams like the Swans.

But that does not excuse what happened today, it was atrocious, and very difficult to watch. Can't really find a positive (other than when we booed Goodes). What a shitty way to send off a great servant of our club (Schneids, congratulations on a great 200 game career). This week was extremely disappointing, I knew we were going to lose this game, but not like this. It's very tough for our young kids to follow when our leaders (I love Steven, love his endeavour, his courage, and his perseverance; but Christ on a bike, he can't kick the ******* pill) are kicking straight to the swans players all game....

We honestly looked like a VFL standard team out there today, kicking was shocking, and we looked bloody clueless out there.

I hope we give a much better showing against the Eagles nek week. We are HEAPS better than what we were today. And I thought we would send off Schneids in better fashion...

Serious Question, Do we have a Skills coach ? who is in charge of that side of training

I think we've put the cue in the rack for the season. They looked slow and disinterested at times. Disposal was awful.

The problem with the pressure game we play is that if you are slightly off you let the opposition run riot. We need to improve our clearances and spread over the summer.

Steven's disposals left a lot to be desired, but gee he fights hard for the footy. His effort at the ball isn't matched by anyone as far as I'm concerned, and he is the king of 1%ers. He just doesn't give up. His kicking let him down today, but write him off at your own peril. I've said it before, I think he's the heart of the team.
Murder by numbers ....

Steven 33 disposals, 16 CPs, 7 clearances, 6 tackles
Armitage 25 disposals, 5 clearances, 7 tackles
Fisher 24 disposals @87%
Montagna 24 disposals @87%
Murdoch 7 marks, 1 goal
Goddard 7x 1%s

Last edited:
The Swans chairman thought that we were fine as a supporter group:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hickey 17 DC points. I know it's not the only measure but I recall a mark, kick and point = 3 + 3 + 1 = 7, then merely 10 points after that. Only wTched first half, was he injured or something?

Was not a good game for us, but let's be honest our teams are at polar opposites.... frustrating....biggest frustration for me is the free gifts they get, i.e. Buddy, Heeney and a FS in mitchell, doesn't really make for a fair comp... but I guess life isn't fair.

Back to what we can control, I thought Ross, Roberton, Armo and Goddard showed plenty of positives.

St Kilda Brothers, we have a lot of work to do but we will get there, but I think 2019 at a minimum is when we will be a force. Look on the bright-side, its only 3 years away. Go Saints!
17/20 finals past 20 years. It's not natural. It's profitable. Phft. No wonder VFL is making a comeback.

Hickey 17 DC points. I know it's not the only measure but I recall a mark, kick and point = 3 + 3 + 1 = 7, then merely 10 points after that. Only wTched first half, was he injured or something?

He was less than ordinary but so was Bruce. Both were absolute liabilities in the forward half. Both need a holiday and are mentally cooked.

All I can say is 2015 as whole was much much much better than 2014, today's game was a reminder of our wooden spoon year and it was a dismal feeling. 4 goals says it all, our defence is undersized, Goddard is going to be a great player he's obviously got time, dempster is a star, hope he can go beyond 2016 it's obvious we need to replace fisher shortly, Gilbert has been injury riddled and returned in good form a pre season will be beneficial, as for all. Steven has so much heart and needs to work on his efficiency which I'm confident is the aim to put him into an all round elite player. I could go through plenty but we need to remain bold and with richo and co I feel confident. 50+ games in players is when the wheel will turn.

With the way the game is played these days, you need laser like precision to cut through zones and presses.

We currently don't have it, as witnessed today with some of the stupid cross kicks and turnovers.

whilst we all wish for all players to make it, reality is that most of them won't. Our better kids are out with injury, but we need more elite talent pure and simple.

I respect every player that pulls on the jumper for us... I give them all equal opportunity to prove themselves.

But let's get real... some of our current top 30 aren't what we need if we are serious about winning a flag.

It is what it is.

bah

i didn't want to see a loss of that magnitude this year, think our worse loss was around 60 odd points

anyways we certainly are better than last year but wasn't expecting that kind of performance

Not much to see here. Shown all year we can't go with the top 4 sides, they show us how far off we really are. Not a bad thing though as we'll get there eventually.

Goal kicking, decision making, skills, basically everything under immense pressure needs to improve but won't until we get games into these guys and they get used to playing together.

I'll try to outline the possatives
Firstly I love Jack Newnes his tackling will win us premiership one day when he runs down Cripps or Bont to save the granny. His kicking was good for such a poor game of skills aswell. Sent will get there his first half was excellent and like the team was average in the second. In the last month or so I'd say Webster has been getting more of the ball, he just needs to back himself. Once he starts to be more attacking we won't rely on Sav and Robbo as much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back