Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
2013 ROUND 1
CARLTON BLUES VS. RICHMOND TIGERS
THURSDAY 28TH MARCH, 7:45 @ MCG

487394_270511666387306_1850491549_n.jpg

PRESEASON FORM
Both sides’ preseasons have drawn the attention of the ‘experts’ looking for that side that invariably enters the top 4 after not making finals the previous year. The Carlton interest comes from our new coach of course and our impressive displays in the NAB Cup. The Tigers’ enthusiasm stems from similar NAB Cup performance but mainly the signing of some impressive mature age recruits as they continued their Moneyball approach to the trade period.

WIN/LOSS
Carlton: WWWL (loss by 3 points)
Richmond: WLWW (loss by 4 points)

POSSIBLE LINE UPS: Those bolded didn’t play in the last encounter.
Richmond:
FB: Morris, Griffiths, Chaplin
HB: Ellis, Rance, Houli
C: Grigg, Deledio, Newman
HF: S Edwards, McGuane, Martin
FF: King, Riewoldt, Vickery
Foll: Maric, Cotchin, Tuck
IC: White, Conca, Ellis, Vlastuin (s)

EMG: Nahas, Knights, Pettard

Carlton:
FB: Laidler, Jamison, White
HB: Yarran, Henderson, Duigan
C: Gibbs, Judd, Simpson
HF: Walker, Casboult, Garlett
FF: Hampson, Rowe, Betts
Foll: Kreuzer, Murphy, Carrazzo
IC: McLean, Robinson, Armfield, Lucas (s)

EMG: Tuohy, Bell, Joseph

KEY MATCH UPS AND PLAYERS:
Jack Riewoldt vs. Jamison/Henderson: He’s been kept quite by Jamo and mainly Henderson in the past yet given us some grief in previous round 1 matches where Thornton or White have played on him. The Coleman medallist has been in scintillating form though and has been very unselfish in recent matches yet still kicking crucial goals. Jamison has had a suspect past year and seems down on confidence from where he was in 2011. Henderson has probably elevated himself as our best defender looks the most likely to take Jack.

Chris Yarran: Matthew White shut him down a couple of years ago but Yaz has burnt them ever since and some would say his last minute burst in the last game may have been as important as Brock McLean's goal. The question is whether Yaz can blow these preseason cobwebs out and comply with Mick's game plan yet still provide that x factor that has made him a household name.

Chris Judd: The shackles have been broken and he looks a thinner, happier man ready to reap the rewards of a Malthouse focus to free him up and play him in different positions compared to constantly being tackled at the bottom of the packs. Looks likely to see plenty of wing and half forward time.

Betts and Garlett: Grimes is out and Morris can't cover one of them too well, let alone both. The other option is maybe Ellis, Houli...perhaps a Dea plays the match and takes Betts. Betts looks in scintillating form and has looked equally as good in the midfield where he is so elusive. Helps them too that big Casboult is there and where we usually struggle without Jarrad Waite, Casboult is now competent enough to play that FF role well.

Andrew Carrazzo: Has Mick abandoned the tagger role for us? Carrots has previously turned the tide of matches when he has sat on Cotchin after a burst quarter but he has now become his own ball winner and Mick is looking for a whole team defense style.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
We are to Richmond what Hawthorn are to us. I won't believe they have made worth while improvement until they beat us. They have the makings of a good side but the bad are too far from the good and to Richmond's credit they've recruited and drafted well and are closing that gap quick. I really wanted Vlastuin to slide to us pre draft and he'll add to that midfield depth that will soon emulate ours but they just don't look ready to beat us yet. I thought maybe we'd lose because we'd be adopting a new game style but perhaps a NAB Cup Grand Final high has me tipping...

Carlton by 23 points

I'm a bit scared this game is sandwiched between the NAB cup GF and the round 2 blockbuster versus Collingwood.
Added with the fact we've got this mob the last 9 times we have played them makes me think complacency might be an issue as well.
It's going to be a physical game and I think Richmond supporters look at this game like we are looking at round 2, an early final in some respects.
They are going to be pumped up.

That said they are our bunnies, Carlton by 52.

Carlton still vastly ahead if the tigers in terms of list, personnel, coaches and experience! Tigers have improved but not enough.
The blues have shown that even at their worst last year they were able to beat the tigers in their 2ND meeting.

Carlton by 32

Carlton still vastly ahead if the tigers in terms of list, personnel, coaches and experience! Tigers have improved but not enough.
The blues have down that even at their worst last year they were able to beat the tigers in their 2ND meeting.

Carlton by 32
Gold Coast have the wood on us AND the Tigers, therefore I'm going to take this post as gospel. My last $10 on Blues by 32 please.

Nice write up Zee... but you may have overlooked one thing.

The fact that in our second meeting last year, they were supposed to be the better side considering our outs and the fact we were playing a bunch in inexperienced kids and second string player and they still didnt manage to beat us. I personally think that this may have scared some of their players to the point where they will s**t themselves when they run out on the field.

Hardwick will be struggling to really get those guys to lift and this could be the difference between the two sides.

Taking away their supposed '6 elite' players, they havent really got all that much left thats better than VFL quality (excusing the new kids from the draft) and the top up players they picked up havent really impressed all that much over the pre-season.

So... in all honesty, we are looking at around a 30-50 point margin and if we get on top early, things get really ugly for the tuggers and it could even blow out to 70-80 points.

I hope we absolutely batter them and put 120 on em :D

Great write up Zee.

We are still your bunnies and unfortunately I can't see that changing come end of round 1. Still as excited as ever for our blockbuster.

Hope the Tiges can get over the line this year for once but I think it'll be the blue baggers by 15. :-/

Terrific write-up and well laid out and structured, zee. :thumbsu:

It's a pity not having Waite and Scotland available but that's hardly a complaint considering the way we limped the injured into the season last year.

Would be quite surprised should we have Rowe, Casboult and Hampson in the team together. Just looks a little bit too heavy to see us through 120 minutes, but I guess we'll know better after tonight.

Would have liked to have commented on the contrasting game styles but don't have much of an eye for those parts of the game sadly. Perhaps gbatman or someone of that ilk could indulge us :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Carrazzo: Has Mick abandoned the tagger role for us? Carrots has previously turned the tide of matches when he has sat on Cotchin after a burst quarter but he has now become his own ball winner and Mick is looking for a whole team defense style.

Great write up Zee man,

With regards to Carrazzo, he has the amazing ability to blanket his opponent while at the same time rack up the possesions and hit the scoreboard, despite the fact that Mick will want to implement a "more defensive" team strategy as a whole ... it would be foolish of him to overlook this attribute IMO.

Carrots needs to be there to nulify dangerous opponents in order to give our midfielder a further advantage.

Blues will be still on a downer from the loss to the lions tonight. Tiges to be to classy and tough and win by 24-30. Scotland and Waite huge outs for the blues.

Blues will be still on a downer from the loss to the lions tonight. Tiges to be to classy and tough and win by 24-30. Scotland and Waite huge outs for the blues.
Damn... You working the Edinburgh fringe festival this year? I had to come and see your act live

Great write up Zee man,

With regards to Carrazzo, he has the amazing ability to blanket his opponent while at the same time rack up the possesions and hit the scoreboard, despite the fact that Mick will want to implement a "more defensive" team strategy as a whole ... it would be foolish of him to overlook this attribute IMO.

Carrots needs to be there to nulify dangerous opponents in order to give our midfielder a further advantage.

Carrots is still tagging. Kept Fyfe to minimal disposals in the Freo game.

Damn... You working the Edinburgh fringe festival this year? I had to come and see your act live
Not sure what's humorous about my post? 2 things, your preseason form is flattering to say the least, lions good things tonight. Waite and Scotland always among ur best against us and in ur top half dozen players.

Not sure what's humorous about my post? 2 things, your preseason form is flattering to say the least, lions good things tonight. Waite and Scotland always among ur best against us and in ur top half dozen players.

Delidio's bemused.

Richmond-AFL-fragile-297x202.jpg

and this is Trent Cotchin's response to that comment:

art-353-svRICHMOND-300x0.jpg

We've already shown we can beat you with a number of our top half dozen players. Not too concerned by their absence, to be honest.

Flattering? How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back