VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked Cowan’s game. Looks to have filled out a bit, solid in the contest and kicked it fairly well. I suspect he’ll come in to the seniors with Cincotta in some doubt.

Young was solid as you’d expect and potentially could be in the mix to play on one of GWS’s tall forwards.

HOK looks a talent for the future but still a bit too raw.

Moir has some tricks but he’s too raw and a bit too focused on the highlight play at the moment. He’ll improve his consistency over time.

Binns is a very good VFL player. Hard to know how he’ll handle the step up to AFL though given he lacks some size and penetration. Might be worth a look given Ollie’s early season struggles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should always recruit from elsehwee and add players to your talent pool. Especially if we are destroyed by injury even further.

I would like to take a punt on McMahon at the end of the season though.
I think Collingwood cut him too soon. Fluffed around with him in defence for a year and the new position didn’t suit a player who’d been a forward for all of his career.

He has some things to like.

HOK I’d be tempted to put him in this week instead of Pitto if we want to play 2 rucks. He’s killing it
Still a bit raw but showing good signs for the future. Would get monstered at AFL level atm, but at least he shows something around the ground that Pitto doesn't.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Binns is ready. As we knew O'Keefe has a bright future. Moir and Lemmey amongst others need time. Would prefer Lemmey forward to develop as the understudy to McKay / Charlie, if needed.

For me it's Cowan to replace Saad and time to stand up young man.
Young for McGovern and/or hopefully Marchbank is ready.

Yep, definitely not ready. Didn't show much athleticism either - fitness still a work in progress.
I love that they are working Moir up the ground and in the middle. Underdone, but full of class, particularly forward. His class would have him manufacturing at least a couple of goals a game if played deep forward. The rank and file supporters would be screaming for his inclusion off the back of it and he would be nowhere near ready.

The bloke is growing in to quite a physical specimen and seems the type who is more likely to flourish after developing than fronting up as an immature teen. Getting a taste of playing against larger bodies will be a positive. Build his resilience and his confidence.

Slow burn, but quite heartened by what I am seeing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back