VFL Carlton Reserves 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we have injury issue so only 10 listed players were playing but after watching 2.5 quarters the VFL is concerning. I don't think we have enough talent in our VFL listed players and if we keep playing 3 rucks it will do none of them any favours. Mirk is exclusively a 1st ruck and little use around the ground especially up forward .

Not looking like a good environment to develop young players

Cincotta was the only one who looked AFL ready

Wilson showed a few glimpses of dash

HOK competed well and showed a bit up forward.

I know we have injury issue so only 10 listed players were playing but after watching 2.5 quarters the VFL is concerning. I don't think we have enough talent in our VFL listed players and if we keep playing 3 rucks it will do none of them any favours. Mirk is exclusively a 1st ruck and little use around the ground especially up forward .

Not looking like a good environment to develop young players

Cincotta was the only one who looked AFL ready

Wilson showed a few glimpses of dash

HOK competed well and showed a bit up forward.
I agree. We should have gone out and recruited some more mature age bodies from other vfl squads or strong local competitions. We looked physically inferior out there

I agree. We should have gone out and recruited some more mature age bodies from other vfl squads or strong local competitions. We looked physically inferior out there
To be fair, we still have a couple of mature bods in Phillips and Cahill to come in....there may be one or two others I've forgotten, but once our AFL start getting players back from injury and suspension, there'll be more mature bodies dropping back.

I was there at the game, and there were zero positives to take out of it....and I mean ZERO!!!!

The only players who looked like they can possibly provide back up at AFL level right now were Cinc and Nigel....and possibly Cow. The rest are miles off - BUT not forgetting most are still in their teens. Players were also getting thrown all over the ground so didn't stay in the one position - not because we were getting flogged, but giving them a run in different positions being a scratch match.

Ramshaw of course was still head and shoulders above any other VFL listed player, but it looked like he even was just going at half rat power.

To be fair, we still have a couple of mature bods in Phillips and Cahill to come in....there may be one or two others I've forgotten, but once our AFL start getting players back from injury and suspension, there'll be more mature bodies dropping back.

I was there at the game, and there were zero positives to take out of it....and I mean ZERO!!!!

The only players who looked like they can possibly provide back up at AFL level right now were Cinc and Nigel....and possibly Cow. The rest are miles off - BUT not forgetting most are still in their teens. Players were also getting thrown all over the ground so didn't stay in the one position - not because we were getting flogged, but giving them a run in different positions being a scratch match.

Ramshaw of course was still head and shoulders above any other VFL listed player, but it looked like he even was just going at half rat power.
Losing Ronke was a big loss too. And Crocker (although probably one of the most selfish players I’ve ever watched).
I wouldn’t call tphillips a mature body. Saw him playing for Essendon vfl last year. At times was nowhere near it.

I think we’ve missed a trick going too young with the vfl-listed players imo.

Losing Ronke was a big loss too. And Crocker (although probably one of the most selfish players I’ve ever watched).
I wouldn’t call tphillips a mature body. Saw him playing for Essendon vfl last year. At times was nowhere near it.

I think we’ve missed a trick going too young with the vfl-listed players imo.
Ronke was highly inconsistent and Crocker was completely off the boil most of last season.

Between that, McMahon, and Cahill we had so little room to develop our own up forward... was silly so it had to shift.

Crocker and Ronke will make more coin for less effort in the ammo leagues, which is the right call because their bodies aren't going to hold up at AFL level.

Do reckon Pitto is still a bit injured, or just short of match condition.
He really should be impacting at VFL level.

Do reckon Pitto is still a bit injured, or just short of match condition.
He really should be impacting at VFL level.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention Pitto. Thought he actually came into the game in the 2nd half, but I think he may still be on managed minutes. We were running 3 rucks in Pitto, Mirk and HO'K - although O'Keefe spent most time up forward. He's a competitive beast, but Mirk was next to useless.

Lem spent time forward and back, and Billy at half back and on-ball. Neither really came into the game, but the Tiggs were all over us. Cinc was fairly good off half back, and Cow his normal aggression at the ball.

Binns still looks way off imo. He's a whippet who gets knocked off the ball way too easily. Runs all day, but very one paced. Needs to put some bulk onto his body to cut it at the top level, or somehow find a few yards of pace. I'd like to think he can develop into an Ed Langton type, but we'll just have to wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Pitto. Thought he actually came into the game in the 2nd half, but I think he may still be on managed minutes. We were running 3 rucks in Pitto, Mirk and HO'K - although O'Keefe spent most time up forward. He's a competitive beast, but Mirk was next to useless.

Lem spent time forward and back, and Billy at half back and on-ball. Neither really came into the game, but the Tiggs were all over us. Cinc was fairly good off half back, and Cow his normal aggression at the ball.

Binns still looks way off imo. He's a whippet who gets knocked off the ball way too easily. Runs all day, but very one paced. Needs to put some bulk onto his body to cut it at the top level, or somehow find a few yards of pace. I'd like to think he can develop into an Ed Langton type, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Just a question about O'Keefe, do you think he is purely a ruck or forward ruck or could it be worth trialing him (like Lemmey) as a KPD or KPF? And, any idea whether it's Lemmey or O'keefe, at this point in time, who is showing the greater potential for AFL?

Just a question about O'Keefe, do you think he is purely a ruck or forward ruck or could it be worth trialing him (like Lemmey) as a KPD or KPF? And, any idea whether it's Lemmey or O'keefe, at this point in time, who is showing the greater potential for AFL?
Personally, I see HO'K purely as a ruck who can provide a contest forward at this stage. But he's only just turned 19yo, so it'll take a bit of time to see if/where he fits into the bigger picture. He's a competitor though, doesn't mind a bit of bash and crash.

Lemm's got me a bit baffled. He's listed at 201cm but not a threat overhead right now - more of a lead up forward with excellent foot skills for his size. For mine, if he's gonna make it, he needs to put on another 10kg and start having a real presence up forward. Although in the scratch matches they've been trialling him both forward and back, so I assume they're still trying to work out his best fit.

The reality though is that one was pick #47 in the ND, and the other an SSP signing, so both basically free hits.

Unfortunately I'm much less convinced with big Dom and bigger Mirk. Dom was very fumbly in the scratch match - very athletic and tries hard, but just not up to it, considering he'd have to be promoted to the senior list the end of the year. Same with Mirk - some of his tapwork is sublime, but it takes more than that to go to the top level. Another who has to be promoted to the senior list the end of the year - just can't see it happening.

Personally, I see HO'K purely as a ruck who can provide a contest forward at this stage. But he's only just turned 19yo, so it'll take a bit of time to see if/where he fits into the bigger picture. He's a competitor though, doesn't mind a bit of bash and crash.

Lemm's got me a bit baffled. He's listed at 201cm but not a threat overhead right now - more of a lead up forward with excellent foot skills for his size. For mine, if he's gonna make it, he needs to put on another 10kg and start having a real presence up forward. Although in the scratch matches they've been trialling him both forward and back, so I assume they're still trying to work out his best fit.

The reality though is that one was pick #47 in the ND, and the other an SSP signing, so both basically free hits.

Unfortunately I'm much less convinced with big Dom and bigger Mirk. Dom was very fumbly in the scratch match - very athletic and tries hard, but just not up to it, considering he'd have to be promoted to the senior list the end of the year. Same with Mirk - some of his tapwork is sublime, but it takes more than that to go to the top level. Another who has to be promoted to the senior list the end of the year - just can't see it happening.
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! Much appreciated!
it certainly doesn't sound good for Dom and Mirk, but I'm hopeful both Lemm and O'keefe progress nicely over the year. I'm also hopeful Cow, Wilson and Moir will get a game or two in the seniors. Fingers crossed they continue to broadcast the VFL games more often than not so everyone can see how the young guys go.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! Much appreciated!
it certainly doesn't sound good for Dom and Mirk, but I'm hopeful both Lemm and O'keefe progress nicely over the year. I'm also hopeful Cow, Wilson and Moir will get a game or two in the seniors. Fingers crossed they continue to broadcast the VFL games more often than not so everyone can see how the young guys go.
Yeah Akuei and Mirkov shaping as probable delistings.

I don’t get to see the ressies in the flesh, but I see a very combative HOK as a very likely (perfect) back up ruckman, who could also play a role as a forward/ruck down the track. While not exhibiting any outstanding forward craft, he presents and competes. He is a dead eye set shot as well which helps in that role. Just screams that he is the type to fill in for the team when he matures, but perhaps lacks the star quality to be considered our next no. 1 ruckman. I just see him as a great squad player type who may progress to command a spot in the top team. The perfect budget priced, long term back up who is “gold” when list managers are distributing the salary cap. (The current TDK “growing” while Pitto commands enough as the no.1 ruck historically outlay is a bit much).

Keep hearing Moir is displaying the traits of his underage year and it is a case of when, not if he is ready. Think many posters are premature on Wilson, I don’t see him playing this year unless we are hit with injuries. Cowan looks like a slow burn, is going to be a player, undoubtedly, but at the moment sits behind our more mature small, medium and 3rd tall types. Saad, Williams, Newman, Boyd, Cincotta and the taller Kemp as well as Marchy and Gov. projects as the Newman replacement in a year or two, role wise. Somewhat expecting Cowan to get a bit of alternate grounding with some mid and even forward minutes through the year.

Looks like a lot of players going through the motions, and others trying to mop up their mistakes. Meh.

Cowan the biggest clear disappointment in that footage, as he's regularly caught at sea. Needs to pick whether he wants to focus on ground ball gets or aerial intercepting, then build out his game from there. With how little he even gets off the ground, I'd be angling for the former.

Looks like a lot of players going through the motions, and others trying to mop up their mistakes. Meh.

Cowan the biggest clear disappointment in that footage, as he's regularly caught at sea. Needs to pick whether he wants to focus on ground ball gets or aerial intercepting, then build out his game from there. With how little he even gets off the ground, I'd be angling for the former.
lol.. the 'chuckling' Tiger's commentator was enjoying himself.

More inclined to wait on the judgements after Voss reported we are at the end of a big training block. First full pre-season for Cowan and Ollie. Reckon their natural abilities will return without the extra loads.

More inclined to wait on the judgements after Voss reported we are at the end of a big training block. First full pre-season for Cowan and Ollie. Reckon their natural abilities will return without the extra loads.
Cow has the advantage of developing physically at a good rate. Ollie clearly added some size over his break, but looks to have run it off, difficult juggling between building body and tank for the running machine. Hopefully next off season, we try to add some sustained muscle to Ollie’s frame.

Ronke was highly inconsistent and Crocker was completely off the boil most of last season.

Between that, McMahon, and Cahill we had so little room to develop our own up forward... was silly so it had to shift.

Crocker and Ronke will make more coin for less effort in the ammo leagues, which is the right call because their bodies aren't going to hold up at AFL level.
Fair shout.

I am just basing it off my observations from the Richmond scratchy where we looked physically so inferior. Boys vs men at times.

Hopefully there’s more depth in the ressies that I’m not aware of.

Fair shout.

I am just basing it off my observations from the Richmond scratchy where we looked physically so inferior. Boys vs men at times.

Hopefully there’s more depth in the ressies that I’m not aware of.
Combination of that, about 6 returning AFL players and blowing out the cobwebs. We are traditionally slow to sign players for - and build form in - the VFL season.

Tyson Sruk played a great game for Rowville yesterday. I was told he won the Eastern Ranges B&F last year by 37 votes. BOG in the Coates League GF. He really knows how to find the ball, use it well and is genuinely tough. I hope he gets a go soon.
Yep, on our list and a real “Smokey”. Maybe we hide him until the MSD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back