VFL 2nd Semi Final - Carlton v Brisbane Sat Sept 3rd 12.05PM @ Moreton Bay Sports Complex

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said, nothing is linear...

When players don't improve or results don't go our way its always 'development isnt linear' on here

When we want to compare ourselves to other successful teams it's always as if we will follow their timeline as if it's linear.....

Personally, I think the further we get away from the past generation of the Carlton football club, the better we will be....too much of a loser mentality in the last generation of this football club and when s**t hits the fan, as a club, we revert to form

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
So I have been following the club now for around 45 years and like yourself I’ve been frustrated with the last 20 years of crap. I think of myself as a glass half full type of person and always try and take out most of the positives and try not to think of the negatives and just hold out that we are on the right track now with M Voss in charge.

So I have been following the club now for around 45 years and like yourself I’ve been frustrated with the last 20 years of crap. I think of myself as a glass half full type of person and always try and take out most of the positives and try not to think of the negatives and just hold out that we are on the right track now with M Voss in charge.
We are definitely on the right track, both on and off field now. We haven’t been in such a spot since then 90’s.
M Voss is the right person. P Cripps is the right leader. This group are the right group. We have talent and depth.
We just need to believe in ourselves, fix our injury issues and get consistent with our game.

We played the Pies without Walsh, Hewett and Kennedy.

That is massive.... and still should have won!
Our midfield still smashed em. So it wouldn't have made that much difference.

We lost it in defensive transition and with boneheaded decision making.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

On your first point. My statement in 2020 was virtually accurate. We finished 13th, 5 places from finals. 5 from the spoon. You are arguing semantics. I remind you 3 years later no finals.
On your second point. Injuries do not explain missing 15m passes(Owies). Hitting the ball into open space(Obrien) & Curnows 3 or 4 howlers.
More to the point you need to consider that your understanding of the game is not always superior to everyone else's on here and you have a tendency to twist the past and reframe others posts to fit your narrative.
In this case, your narrative is Carlton is doing ok. Unfortunately, some of us do not agree with you given it is 7 years since the rebuild began and we have not played finals
So we aren't closer to a spoon, YEAH ?

Major fail MJ

Not sure what has happened to you Arrow...
You used to add to the discussion with some wisdom...

Now a lot of your posts are just snide attacks, you're attacking a guy on a statement he made in 2020 ffs...
We're all on the forum together, others are allowed to have an opinion that differs to yours... Be an armchair list manager all you like, but don't put others down...

Remember we all love Carlton together and all want Carlton to succeed...

Not sure what has happened to you Arrow...
You used to add to the discussion with some wisdom...

Now a lot of your posts are just snide attacks, you're attacking a guy on a statement he made in 2020 ffs...
We're all on the forum together, others are allowed to have an opinion that differs to yours... Be an armchair list manager all you like, but don't put others down...

Remember we all love Carlton together and all want Carlton to succeed...

What did my interactions have to do with list management (never part of the discussions), or is this your contribution to a "snide attack"?

My discussions with another poster was around a claim that we can't win close games, which I pointed out a number of close wins earlier in the season. MJ then chimed in, that those wins were less defining, when in fact they aren't

My reply wasn't addressed, "can you name me any side that was missing 2 and 3 of their starting mids against top 4 sides". Instead, the same rhetoric was rolled out

So, my remark about being closer to finals than a spoon is a reminder of the continual pessimistic, doom and gloom that is rolled out when a situation doesn't meet people's expectations. I mean, MJ predicted that we would finish 9th or 10th, yet based on that he sees the season as a failure rather than "this is what I thought the group was capable of achieving"

We all love Carlton together? No, I don't think we do. How supporters can claim players are mentally weak, that the culture is poor, while sitting in the bleachers, is truly mystifying, perhaps moreso, pathetic. What next, we know the players dietary intake or their levels of vitamin D, by watching them mark and kick the leather

And, this is a VFL thread, which evolved from us winning a close game to make finals, then win our first final. But I guess we were mentally weak, to arrive at this point

But appreciate you singling out only one view

You talk about the importance of playing finals in both grades, Jack Carroll had a real breakout game in this one and goes into next season on the back of that. Would not have happened if we missed. There are plenty in our AFL team who have missed out on that crucial game because we missed where they might have done similar.

Yeah, but we are still closer to finals than a spoon

I mean, we had 2 and 3 starting mids missing in our last 2 games against 2 top 4 sides

Can you name another team that had that in their season defining games?

Exactly. This point should be acknowledged and of course the absolute depletion of our defensive players is a very real reason for the results in the second half of the season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that Dow played an amazing game, was awesome. Setters was unsighted in the second half.
Dows game was IMO vastly superior to Setters last week (a game he still racked up a heap & was very good)
People were calling for contracts & stating Setters was a “lock” & better than Kennedy.
Funny how not much is said about Dows game thou.

Interesting that Dow played an amazing game, was awesome. Setters was unsighted in the second half.
Dows game was IMO vastly superior to Setters last week (a game he still racked up a heap & was very good)
People were calling for contracts & stating Setters was a “lock” & better than Kennedy.
Setterfield was injured in the second half. Spent a long time on the pine.
He was by far the best player on the ground last week.
Dow was great yesterday but no different to any other game in the VFL this year - he’s going to dominate at that level but it doesn’t translate against AFL quality.
All this said, I would not be surprised if we put Setterfield up for trade. Dow is contracted and apparently wants to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Setterfield was injured in the second half. Spent a long time on the pine.
He was by far the best player on the ground last week.
Dow was great yesterday but no different to any other game in the VFL this year - he’s going to dominate at that level but it doesn’t translate against AFL quality.
All this said, I would not be surprised if we put Setterfield up for trade. Dow is contracted and apparently wants to stay.
How could you possibly know that?

We will spank em

Gonna head to this one. Keen as. Reckon there will be a decent crowd there.

Shaping like a very wet game today. Had plenty here in Bundy overnight and it is more concentrated further south.

Going to be an ugly game today, has been raining all night & it’s still going. Not overly heavy just constant showers (I’m 25 min from the ground)

Mots to have a big game

Good qtr Stocker, margin is about right considering the breeze. Think we will be in front at half time

This second quarter will give us an indication whether we can win this or not..Durdin has had a shocker first quarter.

Awesome and terrible by Setters at the same time

Did not see any of match as was busy yesterday and started reading thread this morning to hear what happened for those that attended in person or watched the full match via video.
Saw stats of Dow and Setters looed ok on my phone but what happened for those that watched.
Did we break down up forward without a real key forward or some other reason we lost this?

I am not trying to convince you or anyone else, but you are cherry picking

We won close games against the Hawks, Port, Dogs, Swans, come from behind against the Tigers in round 1, plenty of examples

Our total wins this year was within a range of what was capable this year
Based on injuries yes. If we didn’t have 17 blokes miss more than 4 games we would have done better.

Our win range was well above your prediction had we had the same run of injuries as Pies or Lions.

It remains by far and away the biggest impediment and opportunity.

Only 22/23 and improved immensely this year. He’s got one more year on contract and will be interesting to see if he can take that next step. Hope he sees out his contract.

His 2 senior games this year weren’t great. Having said that, most senior players weren’t great in the 2 games Dow played. Would’ve like to see him get a stint of 2 or 3 consecutive senior games, hopefully he’ll get that opportunity next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not sure you can use Dow's 2 senior games this year as evidence his game doesn't stack up. Was pretty good ( not great) in the first game against the pies - 21 disposals, 5 clearances but was totally ineffective against the lions later in the year.

On both occasions he was played out of position and given little chance to succeed. He is a centre square, clearance machine, yet was played almost exclusively on a hff in R21 with just 9 cbas for the game ( which yielded 3 clearances) and spent long periods on the bench - 1 game in and straight out both times. As weve seen with plenty of our stars returning from injury, it often takes a few weeks to step back up to the speed/pressure of AFL.

The 2nd half of last year showed the impact Dow can have when played to his strengths. I believe Dow's clearance game will work in the right setup but he also needs to keep improving his running capacity, strength and ability to stay involved...

On 2201116PG using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not sure you can use Dow's 2 senior games this year as evidence his game doesn't stack up. Was pretty good ( not great) in the first game against the pies - 21 disposals, 5 clearances but was totally ineffective against the lions later in the year.

On both occasions he was played out of position and given little chance to succeed. He is a centre square, clearance machine, yet was played almost exclusively on a hff in R21 with just 9 cbas for the game ( which yielded 3 clearances) and spent long periods on the bench - 1 game in and straight out both times. As weve seen with plenty of our stars returning from injury, it often takes a few weeks to step back up to the speed/pressure of AFL.

The 2nd half of last year showed the impact Dow can have when played to his strengths. I believe Dow's clearance game will work in the right setup but he also needs to keep improving his running capacity, strength and ability to stay involved...

Agree with everything your wrote, thanks for putting it all in great context. Let’s hope Dow has a great preseason and gets some more chances next year

Thanks for writing this so I didn’t have to bother.

Whether you like him or not, whether you think he’ll make it, or not. How you could judge his ability, and access his improvement at Afl level based on this season is impossible.

As Einstein said, if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid

Dow will never be played "in position" so long as the only role he can play is filled by Cripps/George/Kennedy. It's not all Paddy's fault that he's one dimensional, he should have been introduced to AFL as a powerful HFF rotating through the middle but that ship has sailed and now he's in no-man's land.

he should have been introduced to AFL
it should not have been introduced as our number 3 Pick..... Then to top it off they took O'Brien with number 10...... U'd hope Silvgani with two picks inside 10 would get it right.... And they would not be just borderline players you might get an AFL game / at a minimum hope for top 22 permanent types

Dow will never be played "in position" so long as the only role he can play is filled by Cripps/George/Kennedy. It's not all Paddy's fault that he's one dimensional, he should have been introduced to AFL as a powerful HFF rotating through the middle but that ship has sailed and now he's in no-man's land.
They tried playing him there. Just doesn't have the instincts. Ball watches too often.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back