VFL Elimination Final - Carlton v Collingwood Game Day 1.10PM šŸˆ

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldnā€™t agree more.

This year opposition half backs were routinely among the best on ground against us and we couldnā€™t hurt them enough going the other way, indeed playing Walsh high half forward played into the oppositions hands giving them the plus one to help out against H & C and rebound out too easily.

• Fisher improved a lot this year but is still inconsistent with his pressure and output be be elite in his role.
  • Ditto Durdin and Mots albeit they have time have time in their side.
  • Owies actually has the required work rate but he simply cannot hurt enough with ball in hand
  • Sos in the ruck is a real bad idea as it takes him away from contributing his good pressure game and running patterns at half forward but he needs to be better finishing for goal
  • Martin has all the attributes but is seemingly incapable of being available for a full season.

Thatā€™s why I think someone like Breust would be such a good pick up as heā€™d be able to come in and have impact immediately.
Bruest won't help with pressure, but opposition won't be able to run off him with impunity. They'd have to honour the threat.

Fisher is evasive in close but doesn't have the legspeed to be effective defensively. Not sure what the solution is there.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bruest won't help with pressure, but opposition won't be able to run off him with impunity. They'd have to honour the threat.

Fisher is evasive in close but doesn't have the legspeed to be effective defensively. Not sure what the solution is there.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Interesting discussion. Anyone considered it may be game plan over personnel?

and Philp
Don't hold your breath....I was shocked at how fumbly he was and how unaware of the game around him at VFL level..can run and that's about it, based on VFL I watched ....sad.. Hayes a much better player as is the ex Essendon bloke as is the bloke who did his shoulder in VFL yesterday as in the Lieu bloke as is the 3 gamer yesterday down back - Rawlins?

Lieu is teh pick of them but i think teh Rawlins Ramshaw bloke has something pretty special - composure and size.

Last edited:

Don't hold your breath....I was shocked at how fumbly he was and how unaware of the game around him at VFL level..can run and that's about it, based on VFL I watched ....sad.. Hayes a much better player as is the ex Essendon bloke as is the bloke who did his shoulder in VFL yesterday as in the Lieu bloke as is the 3 gamer yesterday down back - Rawlins?

Lieu is teh pick of them but i think teh Rawlins bloke has something pretty special - composure and size.
Ramshaw

Interesting discussion. Anyone considered it may be game plan over personnel?

As always a bit of both.

I think early in the season when we were dominating territory it was ok with Walsh playing high half forward getting possessions in the front half of the ground more as opposed to later in the season when we were being pushed back further.

Not having Pitto was also a factor in losing territory as in those first 3 rounds we didnā€™t have to throw Sos which allowed opposition rucks to dictate at stoppages and then the MC fell for the temptation to play Sos as back up ruck because Pitto was underdone and TDK tiring and neither offered much resting forward.

Young would have been a far better option as second ruck but for our key defence lack of depth exposed by an injury crisis - just another example how these two factors cruelled our season - so I really hope the club can address both these issues for next season.

Finally got to watch the full match on youtube.
Good game (s)....Luei, Crocker, Cahill ,Motlop, STOCKERšŸ‘Š, Durdin
Solid contributors....Dow, Setters, Kemp, Glass-McCasker, Cincotta....it was a blow for Maher and Calton his shoulder injury.
Someone laughed at me on this forum when I mentioned throwing Akuie into the ruck. It was worth the experiment, got him more involved. There was a bit of chaos ball when he was around it. Not sure how many ruck contests hes had but might be his only chance to progress. Id still take JGM before him in that role.
Umpy no 23 played a great game for the Pies....an example of the sort of frees Im talking about are, and if you know please let me know, is, the first bounce of the second half (3rd qtr). Collingwood flop over and gets a free? Leiu had some tricky calls against as well durung the day.
Campbell Brown was a punish in the commentary. Would have been wearing the full Pies scarf, beanie, socks and guernsey ensemble.
Not the best footy oval Ive seen this year. Carltons ground looks pretty good by comparison. Great to see people walking their mutts in the background though. Wish I was there. Although my pups are Kangals and full of unpredictable mischief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a question. Have you seen much of him in the VFL?
No, I only get to see the vfl highlights and reviews as I live interstate. So the only times I get to see him 'live' is on TV when he has been in the AFL side.
He shows speed etc around the contest but nothing to suggest he is any better than Durdin or Owies, who apply more pressure.
If he is showing the aerial ability in the vfl then it would also be evident in the AFL. You don't just forget how to because of the step up.

No, I only get to see the vfl highlights and reviews as I live interstate. So the only times I get to see him 'live' is on TV when he has been in the AFL side.
He shows speed etc around the contest but nothing to suggest he is any better than Durdin or Owies, who apply more pressure.
If he is showing the aerial ability in the vfl then it would also be evident in the AFL. You don't just forget how to because of the step up.
In the VFL, he plays as a hybrid lead up marker and pressure small, kind of akin to a slightly more prolific Owies. Can bang them from outside 50, whether from a set shot or a running kick. I'm genuinely not concerned with his aerial abilities; I mean, he's not Betts or Elliott overhead, but he's strong, fast and very capable.

He's still a work in progress, though. Needs to acclimatise to AFL pressure levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back