Analysis Road to 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok! Not over keen on Josh Bruce being used in the ruck & thought why don't we think outside the square. Now a few resting ruckmen from other sides play down in their forward line, so why don't we teach our ruckmen the finer points of defence & play them on the last line of defence, that way they will be playing on an equal tall, only have to go the spoil instead of marking, travel in a straight line toward our goals instead of having to turn etc. Also the ruckman on the ball won't need to rest as much, seeing that he doesn't have to try to sprint (ok, lope) back to help defend & doesn't really need to go deep into attack. If it works, can see a few other teams following suit, St.Kilda trendsetter. Ok! Gotta go now, the boys from Baillie Henderson are trying to wrestle me into a straight jacket.

So far I think ....
B Webster Goddard McKenzie
HB Newnes tall def ? Roberton
C Savage Armitage speedy mid ?
HF Billings Bruce Membrey
F Lonie McCartin Sinclair
FOLL Longer Weller
ROV Steven
INT Ruck/ for ? , Acres ,
Dunstan , Mid/ For ?

EMEG Templeton , Delaney , Murdoch
Saunders , Wright , White

For shits and giggles:

FB: Webster Goddard Roberton
HB: Newnes CHB Savage
C: McKenzie Dunstan Billings
HF: Sinclair Bruce Eli
FF: Lonie McCartin Membrey

R: Longer Armo Steven

Int: Acres Weller Ross ????

They're my "confidents" at this stage. Most important thing is there's good kicks all over the ground (particularly in the backline) and very few weak links in that area. To think there's still some quality yet to be drafted is pretty exciting.

Who is in the good kicks group?

I would suggest (with certain considerations being made for KPPs) Hickey, Siposs, Savage, Ross, Dunstan, Montagna, Riewoldt, Schneider, Billings, Roberton, Armitage, Fisher, Bruce, Membrey, Webster, Murdoch, McCartin, Lonie, Saad, Sinclair & Minchington. A few younger blokes I'm still to see it, others are fair dinkum ball butchers.

heres mine, only listing players i am confident of making it

B ? FB Roberton
HB Webster CHB ?
C ? Armitage ?
HF Billings Bruce ?
F ? ? ?
R Longer Dunstan Steven
INT Newnes Sinclair ? ?

That's a pretty good list. i reckon Lonie looks pretty set to make it. I reckon Weller will at least be a depth player for a long time. I think Roberton and Weller will go pretty well in our B&F this year -somewhere between 5 to 10.

Who is in the good kicks group?

I would suggest (with certain considerations being made for KPPs) Hickey, Siposs, Savage, Ross, Dunstan, Montagna, Riewoldt, Schneider, Billings, Roberton, Armitage, Fisher, Bruce, Membrey, Webster, Murdoch, McCartin, Lonie, Saad, Sinclair & Minchington. A few younger blokes I'm still to see it, others are fair dinkum ball butchers.
McKenzie will be a good kick. This will be harsh but Wright and Saunders are two names I've already written off due to butchery. I don't think there's any coming back from how bad their boots are.

So let's break the list down into groups:

Group 1 - blokes who will be retired by 2020: Schneider, Montagna, Riewoldt, Gilbert, Ray, Dempster, Fisher.

Armitage & Geary will be 32 in 2020, and Delaney will be 31. I think Armo will probably make it to 32, but not sure about the other two.

Group 2 - keepers. Blokes who, on current form and trajectory, are required players from now until 2020: Steven, Savage, Dunstan, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Longer, Bruce, Webster, McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie, Lonie, Sinclair, Weller. (I have so far named 25 players).

Group 3 - the verdict is in, and these blokes aren't going to make it: Simpkin. I think everyone else is still not at papers marked stage ... yet.

That leaves 19 blokes who could make or break a tilt at a premiership - either they develop, or we replace with elite talent.

(Hickey, Siposs, Templeton, Ross, Acres, Lee, Markworth, White, Curren, Membrey, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, Saad, Shenton, Minchington, Pierce, Payne, Holmes)

Of those 19, the blokes most likely to make it (IMHO) are Acres (very close), Membrey, Hickey, Ross, Templeton, Minchington & Holmes.

The least likely to make it are Siposs, Markworth, White, Saad & Pierce.

So let's break the list down into groups:

Group 1 - blokes who will be retired by 2020: Schneider, Montagna, Riewoldt, Gilbert, Ray, Dempster, Fisher.

Armitage & Geary will be 32 in 2020, and Delaney will be 31. I think Armo will probably make it to 32, but not sure about the other two.

Group 2 - keepers. Blokes who, on current form and trajectory, are required players from now until 2020: Steven, Savage, Dunstan, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Longer, Bruce, Webster, McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie, Lonie, Sinclair, Weller. (I have so far named 25 players).

Group 3 - the verdict is in, and these blokes aren't going to make it: Simpkin. I think everyone else is still not at papers marked stage ... yet.

That leaves 19 blokes who could make or break a tilt at a premiership - either they develop, or we replace with elite talent.

(Hickey, Siposs, Templeton, Ross, Acres, Lee, Markworth, White, Curren, Membrey, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, Saad, Shenton, Minchington, Pierce, Payne, Holmes)

Of those 19, the blokes most likely to make it (IMHO) are Acres (very close), Membrey, Hickey, Ross, Templeton, Minchington & Holmes.

The least likely to make it are Siposs, Markworth, White, Saad & Pierce.

Great post but want you to close it out with your 22 with gaps where necessary and anyone listed in group 4(19 blokes undecided on) should be outside 22 with a percentage chance of developing into a premiership worthy squad player.... :):thumbsu:

Well Group 2 is

Webster blank McKenzie
Roberton Goddard Savage
Newnes Dunstan Billings
Weller McCartin Sinclair
Lonie Bruce blank
Longer Armitage Steven

But history advises us that not all will make it to 2020 at St Kilda, so that's why I didn't do a team. Delaney could be that full back, or someone else. The hole in the forward line is a the ruckman/forward, who could be Hickey if persisted with, or someone else.

Acres, Ross, Templeton and blank for a nominal bench.

2020 role with Current Players
1 IM Armitage - Comfortable
2 IM/OM Steven - Comfortable
3 HB Roberton - Comfortable
4 KF Bruce - Comfortable
5 TAG Weller - Comfortable
6 IM/OM Newnes - Comfortable
7 IM Dunstan - Comfortable
8 HB Savage - Comfortable
9 SF Lonie - Comfortable
10 HF Billings - Comfortable
11 IM Sinclair - Comfortable
12 R Longer - Earmarked and likely
13 KB Goddard - Earmarked and likely
14 KF McCartin - Earmarked and likely
15 IM Acres - Earmarked and likely
16 SB Geary - Earmarked but could easily be improved/overtaken
17 3TF Membrey - Earmarked but could easily be improved/overtaken
18 IM Ross - Ok for the 40 but hopeful of better to come in
19 OM McKenzie - Jury's out
20 OM Markworth - Jury's out
21 KB Delaney - Ok for the 40 but hopeful of better to come in
22 3TB Lee - Jury's out
23 R? Hickey - Ok for the 40 but not the 22 due to Longer
24 SB? Webster - Ok for the 40 but not the 22 due to Geary
25 R? Holmes - Earmarked and likely for 40 at least
26 TAG? Curren - Ok for the 40 but not the 22 at this stage
27 SF? Templeton - Jury's out
28 ? Murdoch - Jury's out
29 M/SF? Minchington - Jury's out
30 SB? Shenton - Jury's out
31 HB? Wright - Jury's out
32 M? Saunders - Jury's out
33 R? Pierce - Jury's out
34 B? Payne - Jury's out
35 SF? Saad - Gone
36 KF? White - Gone
37 KB? Simpkin - Gone
38 KF? Siposs - Gone

Here's my take in order of level of certainty with respect to primary role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he might have just been looking more at cricket than AFL in his teens too. He said he went to Port Melbourne and asked everyone what he needed to do to get drafted. He said they gave him a fitness routine and he worked over and above that and worked on his football skills too. He is obviously a very motivated kid. He said he played a whole lot of different sports with Billings since he was a kid. He gave the impression that he missed his mate heaps and almost willed it to happen. He is a great story and a good kid. He has a boys face but he is a little ball of muscle. His quads are like telephone poles. Compared to the other new kids he was like chalk and cheese.

A work mate of mine was an assistant coach at port last year and couldn't speak highly enough of Sinclair when we nabbed him. Said he's just an incredibly easy kid to coach. He's a sponge and just so determined to improve. He was rapt for the kid, and was sure he'd make a great fist of afl.

A work mate of mine was an assistant coach at port last year and couldn't speak highly enough of Sinclair when we nabbed him. Said he's just an incredibly easy kid to coach. He's a sponge and just so determined to improve. He was rapt for the kid, and was sure he'd make a great fist of afl.
Sandringham vs Western Bulldogs...Qtr time...i noticed the difference between Wright and Sincs in the huddle. One was focussed on the coaches, bouyant/effervescent. One was quiet, laid back, almost shy. I understand there are all types on AFL lists, but it gave me an impression that Wright is really gonna struggle to progress.

Sandringham vs Western Bulldogs...Qtr time...i noticed the difference between Wright and Sincs in the huddle. One was focussed on the coaches, bouyant/effervescent. One was quiet, laid back, almost shy. I understand there are all types on AFL lists, but it gave me an impression that Wright is really gonna struggle to progress.

You can see that in Sinclair. He seems to be a very positive, up and about type. Another win for the drafting of good character kids.

You can see that in Sinclair. He seems to be a very positive, up and about type. Another win for the drafting of good character kids.

Sinclair looks a very engaged kid. He meets you looking you in the eyes and seems to just have a good self confident (not cocky) personality. He's actually a very polite nice young man. He definitely has a sense of energy about him. If I was to profile him from the brief interactions I have had it would be a highly self motivated and strongly focussed person.

I love getting to meet the players as you can get a strong sense of the players they will be from meeting them off field. Guys like Shenton are a bit different off field than on, he's extremely shy and a very peaceful guy but likes to play assertive footy. Mc Kenzie is a very polite young man who any parent would love to have dating their daughter. Paddy is a big puppy dog, as affable as they come. He will make a great team mate and be an internal and fan favourite, a bit like Kosi. Mav Weller is a really good natured and professional guy, Webster is a reserved shy type, Longer is a big charming laconic dude, Holmes is extremely focussed and professional, Roberton is a bit shy at first but warms up especially with other guys around him, Tom Lee is a gun of a guy and has a really great upbeat personality, Farren is an awesome guy too, really friendly and good company. Anyway I won't go through the list but everyone should try to get down and meet them at the events the club puts on. We have assembled a great bunch of guys. A few of the older boys have had a bit of fig jam about them in the past.

Sinclair looks a very engaged kid. He meets you looking you in the eyes and seems to just have a good self confident (not cocky) personality. He's actually a very polite nice young man. He definitely has a sense of energy about him. If I was to profile him from the brief interactions I have had it would be a highly self motivated and strongly focussed person.

I love getting to meet the players as you can get a strong sense of the players they will be from meeting them off field. Guys like Shenton are a bit different off field than on, he's extremely shy and a very peaceful guy but likes to play assertive footy. Mc Kenzie is a very polite young man who any parent would love to have dating their daughter. Paddy is a big puppy dog, as affable as they come. He will make a great team mate and be an internal and fan favourite, a bit like Kosi. Mav Weller is a really good natured and professional guy, Webster is a reserved shy type, Longer is a big charming laconic dude, Holmes is extremely focussed and professional, Roberton is a bit shy at first but warms up especially with other guys around him, Tom Lee is a gun of a guy and has a really great upbeat personality, Farren is an awesome guy too, really friendly and good company. Anyway I won't go through the list but everyone should try to get down and meet them at the events the club puts on. We have assembled a great bunch of guys. A few of the older boys have had a bit of fig jam about them in the past.

Love reading this sort of post.
I don't get too many chances to get to training so a great insight. Top job!

Great to hear we have a shortage of knobs.

Ahem Jason ahem Gram ahem

Rather than clogging up the Draft Megathread, this one is about analysis specific to where our list is at with respect to our stated target of a 2020 flag.

We can be reasonably confident that anyone over 30 already will probably be gone, sadly including our mighty skipper, but we can speculate as to who we can bring in to replace them.

To start off, let's say we manage to entice Dylan Shiel - who's talking as if he's gaaawn - to Moorabbin, and we take Darcy Tucker in the first round (and because I like him, Keiran Collins in a later one) and some reasonable development and improvement takes place... Is this anywhere near a flag side? What does it lack? Who should be in or out of the side?

FB: Webster (25) - Delaney (29) - Roberton (27)
HB: Newnes (26) - Goddard (22) - Savage (28)
CR: Tucker (22) - Shiel (26) - Steven (29)
HF: Billings (23) - White (24) - Membrey (24)
FF: Saad (29) - McCartin (22) - Bruce (26)
RK: Hickey (28) - Weller (27) - Dunstan (24)
IC: Wright (25) Armitage (30) Lonie (22) Acres (23)

EM: Geary (30) Longer (25) Sinclair (24) Templeton (23) Ross (24)

*ages as at the start of season 2020
3 out of your starting 22 playing tonight (plus 3 of the emergencies). Pretty incredible transformation of our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back