Rohdey Speaks

Remove this Banner Ad

You all forgot one candidate, surprised no-one mentioned him: Cameron Cloke! Recruited in the 2010 Rookie Draft by Port Adelaide with its third round pick (41). Rohde never mentioned which draft he was talking about.

Rohde never said he never played a game for Port, he also said he wasn’t a bad person, just didn’t have the personality traits to be a good footballer. We were under resourced so "mystery" player may still have gotten a game. His first and only match for Port was against the Lions in round 3 2010.

My money's on Cloke.

Let's settle this the bigfooty way with a game of Does He Look Like A Twat
Williams_Ryan246x316.jpg

I could have used a much worse picture but I don't want to be disrespectful:
CCloke.jpg

Choco was a big fan of Banner. Sheedy was a fan too.

I remember reading an article post draft about Banner saying how he was a big Port fan as a kid. Went looking for it on here and found this which seemed interesting:

Mitchell Banner - midfielder, Western Jets, Vic
DOB: 5/6/90 Ht:178cm Wt:77kg
"Talent-wise Mitchell is no doubt the best player in our squad - just an outstanding football talent. He reads the ball well, can kick the ball both sides, his aerial stuff is really good despite his size. You put Mitch in a game of footy and he's going to get 30-plus touches but the one thing he has to work on is his intensity for four quarters. He's had it pretty easy over the years so he needs to develop his approach to footy and his work ethic to step up to the next level."
- Western Jets coach Steve Kretiuk
Vic Metro rep. 2008. From Werribee JFC

Was taken from the Inside Football draft special - usually in these coaches try and paint their prospective draftees as the next Dalai Lama (think Mick Turner's annual 'he's the best player to have come through the Geelong Falcons footy factory') so it's interesting Kretiuk had a couple of barbs in his comments. Suppose it's all baseless speculation though!

You all forgot one candidate, surprised no-one mentioned him: Cameron Cloke! Recruited in the 2010 Rookie Draft by Port Adelaide with its third round pick (41). Rohde never mentioned which draft he was talking about.

Rohde never said he never played a game for Port, he also said he wasn’t a bad person, just didn’t have the personality traits to be a good footballer. We were under resourced so "mystery" player may still have gotten a game. His first and only match for Port was against the Lions in round 3 2010.

My money's on Cloke.

Maybe. Im positive we at least spoke to him going by some articles at the time.

I'm 99% certain it's not Cloke. He was actually a big influence in getting Boak to re-sign and they were great mates at the time at the club.

Also the Port Magpies were doing everything they could to keep him in Adelaide when he got delisted.

Banner being the player Rhodey is referring to would finally explain his inexplicable poor treatment at this club. He showed a lot more in his games with us than a lot of guys who continually got games ahead of him.

I'd say next time we see the next Royce Hart... but only in one game we'll be taking him :rolleyes:.
Jacobs and Fyfe were unfortunate but look what Ollie did to Nat in the final and he's 2 years younger and look at Polec, Ebert and now Ryder.
Even Ollie looks like he's happy here when he was like Wingard to GWS in that we knew he didn't want to come here, so with all the swings and roundabouts we are way up.

I liked the insight on Westhoff and his training that shows the tank that he has on the field is not a fluke, after reading that maybe he has been too maligned by the fans.
Also he was complimentary of Primus and if Matty goes away and learns from his mistakes and ends up somewhere else a better football person then that can only be a good thing (hoping that's what's happened with Vossy).

Anyway thanks for the insight Rhodey and good luck on your next ventures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Peel - almost identical off field issues to what Ben Jacobs had but because he was a later pick he went under the radar, then delisted with barely anyone noticing.

edit - unless he was a pre-Rhode pick
re-edit - I checked, he was picked up in 2003. I'll stop playing.

Last edited:
Great interview. Fyfe - oh what could have that been.
I know. But I still hold out hope for that 2009 draft class.

Pittard is under-rated IMO, except for a few on this board. I often find when I re-watch matches with the anxiety of not knowing the result no longer present, I can more objectively watch individual players without being overly focused on their mistakes. Not uncommonly I catch myself thinking "Gee, I don't remember Pittard being that good when I watched it live". In the heat of the live match, I suspect many are guilty of focusing on his clangers, although in fairness there are usually no more than 1-2 per game. He does a lot of good stuff, and is becoming better defensively all the time. I think he's going to turn out to be a ripper of a player for us over the next 6 years.

Butcher - well. We had to take a chance on a KPP with pick 8 in that draft. Some would reasonably argue that we also should have targeted Talia and Carlisle with picks 9 and 16. It's a shame that he hasn't come good. I don't hold so much hope for Butch, but it wouldn't surprise me if he still plays a few decent AFL games before his time with us is over.

Moore - I think this is the pick we probably got most wrong. He may well still be a solid AFL player, but I've almost certainly ruled him out from being a star of the game, especially given his apparent lack of confidence and self-belief to really take matches by storm at AFL level. I suspect Moore probably has the physique and skill-set to be a very good AFL mid, but what will stop him from being a great player is his lack of ruthlessness.

I know.
Moore - I think this is the pick we probably got most wrong. He may well still be a solid AFL player, but I've almost certainly ruled him out from being a star of the game, especially given his apparent lack of confidence and self-belief to really take matches by storm at AFL level. I suspect Moore probably has the physique and skill-set to be a very good AFL mid, but what will stop him from being a great player is his lack of ruthlessness.

He doesn't need to be a star, if we have a list of 25 stars, how the hell do we keep them on our list? Should be looking a Joel Corey, Michael Osborne, Kane Johnstone type of footballer. Well respected win the club and playing circles, but barely known by opposition supporters!

I know. But I still hold out hope for that 2009 draft class.

Butcher - well. We had to take a chance on a KPP with pick 8 in that draft. Some would reasonably argue that we also should have targeted Talia and Carlisle with picks 9 and 16. It's a shame that he hasn't come good yet. I don't hold so much hope for Butch, but it wouldn't surprise me if he still plays a few decent AFL games before his time with us is over.

It's not like confidence and self belief is fixated, he just has to find it within himself that's all.

ok back to the article and stuff the guessing.

The article probably reflects the ups and downs of Rohde's career at Port. I reckon he like a lot of the footy department were overloaded with responabilities and how he was over stretched. KT redifined his position in 2012 gave some of his duties to Richo and others and his final 2 years he got to do his job properly.

I reckon the 2009 trade period was a turning point. Choco was reappointed but put on a leash by Duncanson and Haysman. I reckon t was telling that Choco was overseas during the Burgoyne trade. Ro

Rohde summed up why Choco will probably never get another senior coach gig - He is amazingly passionate, energetic and commited person. He never stopped thinking about the game and used to drive us crazy.

I'd love to see Choco coach Collingwood with all their resources. With Eddie at the helm he would be strong enough to control Choco and at the same time encourage his expansive thinking. It would be entertaining to watch from afar.

Luke Peel - almost identical off field issues to what Ben Jacobs had but because he was a later pick he went under the radar, then delisted with barely anyone noticing.

edit - unless he was a pre-Rhode pick
re-edit - I checked, he was picked up in 2003. I'll stop playing.
Peel was very young when he arrived - was never going to get close to a game with the squad we had then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back