Rookie draft pick 44: Sam Menegola

Remove this Banner Ad

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/dockers/12345071/sam-to-play-it-again-at-freo/

Menegola said his year at Hawthorn had helped him train on his own and at East Fremantle, during his weeks in between clubs.
"I didn't want to get left behind so I have been doing a lot of running and a lot of gym work - about four or five running sessions a week and about four or five gym sessions focusing on strength and power," he said.
"I have been trying to replicate an AFL program and all the recovery stuff that comes with the program.
"I have still got a massive amount of learning to go but I certainly learned a lot in that first year and that held me in good stead over the off-season. I have been able to keep myself in shape."

At season's end he was the subject of a failed trade between the Hawks and Saints which ended unhappily when Hawthorn de-listed him.
The Saints, who had offered a late-round draft pick at the trade table to put Menegola on their main list, took Claremont premiership coach Simon McPhee onto their coaching staff and used the pick that was probably meant for Menegola to take Tigers grand-final hero Beau Wilkes at the national draft.

Good read, he obviously has kept himself in good shape judging on his training session today.

Definitely needs to bulk up, and on YM's post, he has always been extremely fit so I'm not surprised he was dominating the distance runs today.

I'm aware of that. But the same can be said of Sheridan and yet he was spewin his guts up. Don't forget it was his first day back fron the offseason.

So if he was homesick why did Hawthorn try to trade him to the Saints? Or is the homesickness just a rumour?

Not that it really matters but I keep reading that Hawthorn let him go because he was homesick. On Docker TV he said that the had his bags packed ready to go to St Kilda?

Sounds like he is committed to playing anywhere:thumbsu:

Tunbridge, Menegola were only going to be picked up by two teams, if they were homesick.
Could we have rolled the dice and picked him up later?
May have lost a player on our rader to another team.
Hope Sam makes the most of his second chance.

Are Simon and Sam sons of former AFL players?

So if he was homesick why did Hawthorn try to trade him to the Saints? Or is the homesickness just a rumour?

Not that it really matters but I keep reading that Hawthorn let him go because he was homesick. On Docker TV he said that the had his bags packed ready to go to St Kilda?

Sounds like he is committed to playing anywhere:thumbsu:

Well there was a failed trade between the Saints and Hawthorn for Menagola during trade week and I think he assumed he was heading there in the rookie draft.

I stand corrected but am pretty sure Simon is Brads nephew and Sam is Todds nephew. If that is who your talking about

Cheers mate.

Look forward to seeing him hopefully string a few games together.

Also, with him being the 44th pick in the Rookie Draft, he wore the No. 44 made famous by The Rat at Hawthorn.

So many numerical parallels and oddities around in the game.

Wow! Great stuff and Sam will be stoked. Was a few years below me in high school but he is a terrific guy and a very talented footballer. Very hard done by to get delisted after just a year I thought, he should thrive being back home.

Wasn't delisted, apparently refused to re-sign at hawthorn, probably wanted back home.

Anyway, a very good lead up forward, apparently set the record for the beep test in his draft, good footy brain. It's a bargain.

Wasn't delisted, apparently refused to re-sign at hawthorn, probably wanted back home.

Anyway, a very good lead up forward, apparently set the record for the beep test in his draft, good footy brain. It's a bargain.
Ive watched a fair few pre seasons and this boy has the best aerobic capacity Ive seen,if he can match his footy skills with his running ability the sky is the limit,can see a lot of burnt out defenders trying to follow him around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it was main list or he would like to be delisted and take his chances on of getting on the main list elsewhere. Seems the trade with St Kilda fell through so he ended up on a rookie list anyway. Just happened to be back home.

Ive watched a fair few pre seasons and this boy has the best aerobic capacity Ive seen,if he can match his footy skills with his running ability the sky is the limit,can see a lot of burnt out defenders trying to follow him around

Agree. By the end of the sessions even the fitter players are knackered but he just looks like he could go on with no fuss. Just needs to focus on putting some weight on.

Agree. By the end of the sessions even the fitter players are knackered but he just looks like he could go on with no fuss. Just needs to focus on putting some weight on.

Doesn't look like that would be an issue for someone of his build. What is he 6ft 2inches in the old? Seems a solid enough unit.

Again at todays session he blew every one off the park including Hill,Mzungu who were in his group,this guy is super impressive and could be the steal of the draft

Again at todays session he blew every one off the park including Hill,Mzungu who were in his group,this guy is super impressive and could be the steal of the draft

What do you reckon of hills skills Salim? His highlights video from his colts season in 2010 looked good but I found him hard to spot at training. Doesn't seem to get involved enough in the plays. Fittest guy at the club though.

What do you reckon of hills skills Salim? His highlights video from his colts season in 2010 looked good but I found him hard to spot at training. Doesn't seem to get involved enough in the plays. Fittest guy at the club though.
Trained with the new boys pretty much in front of were I was sitting and skills looked fine ,clean hands and flat accurate kick,wasnt under any pressure though so the real test will be when the training amps up and the pressure goes on,really looking forward to see how he handles it.

Menegola.jpg

This is Menegola putting a gap in Group 1 (Hill, Mz etc) on the end to end runs..

Liken team selections in preseason to Chrissie decorations, more often than not they'll look great and shiney in December but by January they're never seen again...but in this case it's the quickest , athletic Chrissie decoration I've seen. Hill and Mz are elite runners, hes left em for dead, Clancee is in that group as well, poor bloke is seeing his senior spot running 40metres ahead of him. Spurr surely to get the upgrade, Menegola mid year maybe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back