Roosistence Roominisces

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice find Twinkletoes :thumbsu:

There were lots of ideas jangling about BF at that time and that's the thread where it all started to come together. The "Supporters Trust" idea referred to become WANM. I expect there is also a thread started by Gumbyroo outlining the concept and another by gokangas announcing the establishment of WANM.

I remember going home on a real high but waking up to that f***ing disgraceful headline in the Hun which gave the impression Arch had given up the fight. It had the AFL's grubby fingerprints all over it and was a massive kick in the guts. Can only imagine how pissed off TOD must have been... If I recall, it was corrected later in the day so one can only hope the Roosistence crew were so hung over they slept through it all. :)

We should never forget the bastards that tried to move our club, especially the one who is still at the head of the AFL. I know what he called us (WANM) and I will never forget. I wear his insult with much pride.

Magic memories Dave. Still can't believe what we all achieved against the AFL machine and a few NMFC traitors. Two groups - different tactics - same aim - major win.

Looking forward to your memoirs, GK.:thumbsu:

One poster who has been forgotten in all this is RusselEbertHandball , think he/she must be an accountant of sorts and he/she unravelled the $100 million offer to go to the Gold Coast, don't have the specifics at hand but he/she spent a lot of time on the North board during those times.

One poster who has been forgotten in all this is RussellEbertHandball , think he/she must be an accountant of sorts and he/she unravelled the $100 million offer to go to the Gold Coast, don't have the specifics at hand but he/she spent a lot of time on the North board during those times.

Good call jozeph, he was a gun at that time

One poster who has been forgotten in all this is RussellEbertHandball , think he/she must be an accountant of sorts and he/she unravelled the $100 million offer to go to the Gold Coast, don't have the specifics at hand but he/she spent a lot of time on the North board during those times.

Good recollection, jozeph. REH confirmed what many suspected: (1) all that glitters is not gold and (2) the AFL are untrustworthy slimeballs whose every word must be scrutinised.

I suspect that even the new stadium was fast-tracked once we rejected the deal. If the relocation had proceeded the relocated club with the tame administration might still be waiting for the new stadium promise to be honored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great read. Thanks for sharing it TOD, but thanks mostly for everything you did at the time.

I actually reckon that Paul Kelly song is entirely appropriate - it's easy to forget now, but I reckon even the most optimistic among us back then would have considered it a pipe dream for Arden St to look like it does now.

What the Roosistence night did was demonstrate a massive groundswell of support for keeping North at North. Up until then, there was a sense of inevitability among many of the public and media about relocation. I reckon people started to realise they could be backing a loser when they saw just how much support we had - and how it was clearly the people pushing to stay who were fighting the good fight.

Nobody should be in any doubt that it was a massive part of turning the tide, and that everyone involved should be eternally thanked for wherever our beloved club goes from here.

Awesome stuff Deano! What a night it was. I have seen plenty of bands at the prince, but nothing will ever beat this.

In your natural style you have downplayed a few things, but you can't ever underestimate the impact this had both in uniting a supporter base and also sending a message to Brayshaw and co about the passion of the people who make this club. 2007 was an amazing year where it all nearly fell apart then all came together. On field, we ripped away the perception that we could not be competitive because we were dollar poor. Off field, we jolted out of what was in danger of becoming an apathetic slumber. The decisions of our management over the past decade had made us tired. Name changes, song changes, state changes, presidents who had no idea what we wanted and what the club needed to be successful...it was fatiguing (and very frustrating).

But when push came to shove, the resounding F*** YOU! showed why our supporters are so unique and will never let this club down.

Roosistence gave everyone the tangible example of how to shout it louder than ever. The rest is history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting read. They were dark times for many of us. At the time I thought it was inevitable. The AFL usually gets its own way sooner or later when it comes to screwing the small clubs. Roosistence and WANM did sterling, and I thought impossible, work.

Ashamed to admit, my contribution was precisely nil.

Thanks again, all. You seriously flatter me.

Will get the Mods to unsticky this soon, and then maybe we'll give it a bump around the anniversary each year, just for any newbies to catch up, or any oldies who want to do a bit of walking through the park and roominiscing.

Can't believe I just referenced Little River Band.

Will get the Mods to unsticky this soon, and then maybe we'll give it a bump around the anniversary each year, just for any newbies to catch up, or any oldies who want to do a bit of walking through the park and roominiscing.

And indirectly Frank Sinatra, TOD. I believe he was impressed with Roominiscing and expressed interest in recording it.

Very interesting read. They were dark times for many of us. At the time I thought it was inevitable. The AFL usually gets its own way sooner or later when it comes to screwing the small clubs. Roosistence and WANM did sterling, and I thought impossible, work.

Ashamed to admit, my contribution was precisely nil.

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

We all know you were thinking of Madison Avenue when you typed that.

Was shattered when they couldn't play Roosistence due to the date clashing with her shift at the servo.

Yeah, nah, pfft you know. Nah.

Just by the way, has anyone else noticed a distinct similarity between TOD and Tim Rogers, when it comes to being self-deprecatory. TOD is clearly the expert but Tim's post way back there had massive doses of self-deprecatory too. You would think that the bloke had very liitle talent and not much clout from that post but really he is larger than life. And he gets bigger in the public domain. In movies, on TV with Andrew Denton a few years back and then his ad for the AFL come finals times is about the best I've seen in recent TV ads. Just wait till this year when we are in the finals and the AFL (hopefully) asks him to do a new one. He'll win an Oscar for that. Well perhaps not an Oscar but you know what I mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back