Roosistence Roominisces

Remove this Banner Ad

Took fricking ages to remember my password. Been a while since I posted here - but couldn't let this pass without saying - well said TOD. Enough of the self deprecating stuff - you were ace. We all were. It was simultaneously the best and worst year. And you were the best bunch of guys a girl could hope to work on an obsessive crazy adrenalin fuelled righteous you-people-are-nuts campaign with.

And yes, I was monumentally hammered at the gig. Who wasn't?

Invite me to the reunion, or you're all dropped. (There's a reunion planned right?)

Love youse all. X

Great thread!

I'm a massive Tim Rogers/You Am I fan, for anyone who doesn't know my name comes from their song Applecross Wing Commander. When I found out he went for North, I loved him even more. My favourite songwriter and my favourite team combined.

Thanks for the detailed post. Does anyone know what Tim is up to these days with regards to football, watching a game with him would be amazing.

Does anyone know what Tim is up to these days with regards to football, watching a game with him would be amazing.

He tours often but still attends games when in town. He tends to watch without distraction Ac but he's always welcoming to people who want to say g'day.

Thank you all for this poster. I was there on the night and I will always remember it as one of the greatest nights for the club (if not my life) with the night at Dallas brook hall a week later. Up there with dancing on center court at Rod laver after winning the 99 grand final or being at Arden st in 96. The energy that was around this site was what kept us all informed of what was really going on and kept us all knowing that we needed to fight this.

I have always been a pretty big fan, going most week but 2007 made me realised that this club meant more to me. I will never me able to thank all that were involved in the planning of this night and everything that happened around the Campaign. I have never official meet anyone from this board in person but you all do mean so much to me.

I still remember having a cry on the morning that a read that Lidge had passed away. I kept thinking, how can I be so upset about someone that I never meet. but I think that is why I was so upset, that I never had the opportunity to share a couple of beers with him watching the might rooboys take the field.

I always remember thinking in 2007, that I need this club to be here, even if it is just so that in the future when I have kids we can all be there when the Banner is rolled out, Join in the Chorus starts to play and the Boys in Royal Blue and White run on to the field. Since 2007, I have married the love of my life and we have been blessed with two little boys. So All the work that was done by you all in 2007, will pay off this year when I have the opportunity to take two little boys to share the passion.

I really hope that I do get a chance to meet some of you. I know I most likely will know some of you by face but putting faces to names would be great.

Ps I also wanted to acknowledge the work that is still getting done by people like Kangalover, gokanga and others in getting us all involved in the sponsorships and other things that happen around supporting the club

He tours often but still attends games when in town. He tends to watch without distraction Ac but he's always welcoming to people who want to say g'day.

Good to hear he still goes to games. I think I'd be too shy to go up and say g'day :) Went and saw them on their last tour and was one of the best gigs I've been to. He's still in fine form.

Good to hear he still goes to games. I think I'd be too shy to go up and say g'day :) Went and saw them on their last tour and was one of the best gigs I've been to. He's still in fine form.
I reckon he's getting better with age, personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the most part, the names I mentioned were positively received. Only once did I mention a name that didn’t go down too well. For obvious reasons I won’t go into the details of this rather awkward moment, but it appears there was some history there. I had to spend the next 5 minutes doing some fast talking to redeem myself, but from memory that was the only real speedhump in the evening’s proceedings. In fact, it went like a breeze.
This paragraph intrigues me.........

If you will forgive me for intruding here...

Your club, and particularly the group here who managed to organise the Roosistence, will always have my eternal respect for being able to hold your own and fight off what must have seemed, at times, to be an almost inevitable fate. Demetriou wanted you to relocate and Caro was charged with conditioning the public to the idea that it was both necessary and inevitable.

Unhappily, many around the place swallowed the lie hook, line and sinker. One of my best mates is a Roo and, while he wasn't actively involved per se in Roosistence, he certainly did open his wallet at the time. I also gave a few dollars (hey, I was only 19 at the time). But more significantly, from my perspective, I saw first hand his emotions boil over the night you guys destroyed the Hawks in that semi final. At the time, it seemed likely that was going to be your last 'home' game in Melbourne and the enormity of it affected him pretty badly. They say footy is only a game- and it is- but seeing your club so close to the precipice is not a nice thing.

As an eight year old I was taken along by my father (a Tiger) to Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne, against Richmond in 1996. It is by several streets the saddest thing in football I've seen- the scenes of Fitzroy fans en masse being in tears, and even several Richmond fans being moved to tears, after the final siren were genuinely horrible and I'll never forget them. It may not have been quite at that level of rawness for North fans in 2007, because ultimately you never did fall over that precipice. But my point was, after seeing the whole Fitzroy debacle unfold (still as a young kid, but I took it all in), I knew I would never again want to see a football club wind up, or have so many of its fans disenfranchised.

That so many cheered actively for it to happen to North in 2007 appalled me at the time, and it still does.

I don't pretend to understand every little nuance of how North ultimately managed to save themselves from that fate, but it was great to see and I'm bloody glad it was successful.

In an era where so much of the game under the AFL seems so plastic, preserving the identity and history of clubs is one of the few things we have left.

I just read this now and I have to say I agree with TOD. What a s**t read. You have no talent for writing. You're also correct that thanks should go to everyone else involved with the project except you.

Modesty is like all things, fine in moderation but too much of it is dysfunctional. FFS, step into and accept your legendness.

What a great read. What a wonderful group of people (except TOD who didn't really do anything) We are eternally indebted to all but one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...excuse my intrusion, but what a great thread, and an amazing night. Right up there with any gig I've seen!!

Having been through the pain and fear of 1996 (a good year for you lot I hear..), I felt great empathy with the mood in the room that night.

Glad it has worked out for you; nothing (in Footy) as sad or tragic as those poor Fitzroy supporters in '96, and something no one should have to endure, no matter what hatred or bias exists.

I say to a North mate of mine, you've got the #1 Ticketholder across the AFL in Tim Rogers, a living treasure.

Cheers!!!

Last time in the pregame chatter, SEN did a segment on NMFC's top moments of the last 30 years. There were premierships, great finals and H&A wins, the MCCartney game, the Carey game.

And RoCo's top moment? The Roosistence fight, the concert and the Dallas Brooks meeting that kept North Melbourne in Melbourne. Dermott added his memories of the PoW evening. Very nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back