Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

What - are you saying that even if we managed to kick straighter (5 more goals and 5 less points) we still would have lost?

Had we kicked 16.12.108 instead of 11.17.83, how do we lose?
Seriously. If only life was so linear…
Let’s say we kick the first goal we missed, whenever that was, first quarter no doubt.
Ball goes back to the centre, we inevitably lose the clearance, bombers get it forward and get a goal.
That scenario is just as feasible as anything. Prove me wrong. Sure we missed some we should have kicked. That’s not why lost.

Was at the game with my Essendon mates. It was fun to watch till Q3. Last one in general was hard. Some observations,

1. Ginni and Chol are good pickups. Watson is Livewire and fun to watch. I saw him slipping today and even in practise game, not sure what's the issue.
2. Gunston getting into good positions but otherwise liability, could have been good sub.
3. Moore is Star and should be captain.
4. Lewis gets outmuscled, we need support for him badly.
5. Key position players should be priority next year. Mckay could have made lot of difference.

Mackenzie was as soft as butter today.

Coach had a poor game too - Finn Sub? and not changing things up in the middle? As least get defensive side of your opponent.

MDA and Ginni good - Worpel and Moore Good.

Newk 1 tackle? Bloke nearly broke the record on debut - what is he being asked to do?

Interesting in Sam's presser he said we won the first possession from centre bounce, but then only won half the centre clearances.

We were quite fumbly in there.

Interesting in Sam's presser he said we won the first possession from centre bounce, but then only won half the centre clearances.

Newc and Worpel got caught more than once too, immediate centre clearance turnaround. Worp gets a pass but Newc needed to be better. It's all learning.

One more thing worth mentioning is just how assy the dons were in front of goal. Everything went in. Went with a scum supporter and they couldn’t believe how accurate they were. That won’t happen every week.

On the flip side, Sam said in the presser that a lot of work went into goal kicking this preseason so here’s hoping it’s just an anomaly.
Esp when we're missing everything and they have some beanpole (who in fairness can kick a goal) dobbing them 55m from the boundary. But whether they're kicking them or not, the fact they had a quick answer to so many of our goals is something we really need to address. Was the most disappointing part of the day for mine.

I was a bit critical of him today also... he's not had a great start to the year.

I'm just looking for glimpses that show us hes going to be a player... had 17 pretty bland touches.
His defensive side is the worry for me. Hardly ever holds up a player. His handball under pressure is really exciting, so fast and clean, showing a real improvement in his game.

What happened to ginnivan in 2nd half? Had like 3 touches. Someone mentioned hamstring but wasn’t subbed off so assume was fine. Did he just run out of gas / spend all his tickets in first 40-50 minutes?

Seriously. If only life was so linear…
Let’s say we kick the first goal we missed, whenever that was, first quarter no doubt.
Ball goes back to the centre, we inevitably lose the clearance, bombers get it forward and get a goal.
That scenario is just as feasible as anything. Prove me wrong. Sure we missed some we should have kicked. That’s not why lost.
It actually is.

You are positing hypothetical scenarios which never eventuated.

Are you saying we didn’t have enough chances to win today?

We had 5 more inside 50s.

We had 8 more scoring shots.

We went at an appalling goal kicking efficiency compared to them (39.2% to 77.3%). Many from set shots and easy shots under minimal pressure.

I’m not suggesting we dominated all over the ground - clearly that’s not the case BUT…

We created all the scoring chances we needed to win the game.

That’s a verifiable fact.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep we were clear many times only to turn it over by fumbling or an errant handball

Yep we were clear many times only to turn it over by fumbling or an errant handball
Fumbles, trying to be too cute or looking to play perfect footy, in Sam's words. Nash seemed to trip over every time the ball went near him.

No idea how the coaches can justify Maginess as sub. Was that addressed in the press conference??
It's not the reason we lost, but a really poor decision that I don't see any value in. I am totally comfortable with Maginess getting a starting gig, but no value in playing him as the sub. I am stunned we went that way.
Ginni was great.
Chol recovered after a yippy start.

I've seen some discontent about Ward's game.. I'm not his biggest fan, but I did see him do a fair bit of good defensive stuff today and kinda suspect that'll be his role moving fwd, defensive mid.

A much better start to the season than last year

They pressured us into error and then swooped on the turnover.

We lacked the ability to hold them up when we made a mistake in close.

We couldn’t create a secondary stoppage and they waltzed through as a result.

He was awesome.

Not just laser left boot but hard at it and defensively sound.

Seamus has his work cut out.

Really surprised me how hard he was today. Thought the knock on him was his toughness reading the bombers board, got belted a few times today and bounced up no complaints

There's definitely some logic behind it, but it doesn't look very sound.

Need to go listen to the presser.
I listened to the presser and it didn't mention the Finn decision. There is no situation where it makes any sense. I thought most of the things Sam said was pretty reasonable. Some of them are universals - 'bad kicking is bad football'.

It actually is.

You are positing hypothetical scenarios which never eventuated.

Are you saying we didn’t have enough chances to win today?

We had 5 more inside 50s.

We had 8 more scoring shots.

We went at an appalling goal kicking efficiency compared to them (39.2% to 77.3%). Many from set shots and easy shots under minimal pressure.

We created all the chances we needed to win the game.

That’s a verifiable fact.
Seriously? Nothing verifiable about that at all.
You’re posting the hypothetical scenario that if we had kicked straight we would have won.
That’s just stupid and is only an opinion.
The only verifiable fact is we lost, the rest is supposition.

Seriously? Nothing verifiable about that at all.
You’re posting the hypothetical scenario that if we had kicked straight we would have won.
That’s just stupid and is only an opinion.
The only verifiable fact is we lost, the rest is supposition.
Um - well I fail to see how us kicking 5 more goals and 5 less points from our 6 more scoring shots would have seen us still lose, but you enjoy being you. 👍

The longer the day goes, the worse the taste in the mouth. I didn't go into today expecting a premiership, but I did think we would do much better than we showed today. To be showing improvement, we just had to defeat Essendon today, and we failed. People can look at "if and but" scenarios but I deal in facts. We just weren't good enough today and I really feel as a club we've taken a step backwards and have to start all over again. Sorry to be so negative, but it's been quite a while since I've been so disappointed as I am tonight. We need to win next week or the season is gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back