Preview Round 1: Hawthorne vs Essendon, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Sunday 19th March @ 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Only 2 weeks now until the real stuff starts and by my count we have 11 players who are currently injured to varying degrees: Langford, Stringer, Guelfi, Heppell, Hobbs, Cox, Caldwell, Tsatas, Reid, Stewart & JDavey - maybe I've missed someone not sure...

On a positive note we have a new coach, new captain and a few new players - Setterfield, Weideman & Davey - who've all had pretty decent pre-seasons.
Also Langford, Stringer & Guelfi should be right for round 1 and we should see a line up something like this;-

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Martin Merrett Durham
Langford Weideman ADavey
Stringer 2MP Menzie

Draper Setterfield Shiel

Bench: Perkins Parish Massimo Jones
SUB: Guelfi

Emergency: Snelling Baldwin Voss

Would be great to kick off the season with a win at the G - comon Bombers!

Last edited:
So the sub is back? must have missed that one. Hopefully not a medical one and can be used anytime?

I would only have Voss instead of Jones.

I was about to say that circumstances mean I won't be able to do previews this year. I was struggling to do them last year and now I really can't do them with maybe a few exceptions.

Would think the backline is largely set

Ridley laverde kelly
Redman zerk mcgrath
With massimo as 7th

Midfield is largely gonna be those that are fit.
Draper merrett setterfield parish martin durham langford shiel and perkins
Forwards of wright weideman jones snelling davey menzie

Baldwin a chance for sub.
Dont expect we'll see caldwell (rip), heppell, stringer or guelfi. And tippa sounds like he'll play vfl with a potential to be sub

Running on the fumes of a rag again

Is it the Harley Reid Cup in round one?
I think the script usually goes we lose to the hawks but to keep us from recruiting who we need we'll win a few about 2/3 into the season, then get pummeled to finish it off.
Port usually feature late.

Is it the Harley Reid Cup in round one?

I was thinking about our competition and a moment of real clarity struck me, very similar to a weed induced moment in 2014 (when I realised I spent most of my time explaining away deficiencies in players I don't rate), and it occurred to me, we may well be the worst team in it.

I was thinking about our competition and a moment of real clarity struck me, very similar to a weed induced moment in 2014 (when I realised I spent most of my time explaining away deficiencies in players I don't rate), and it occurred to me, we may well be the worst team in it.
Were you high again when you had this moment of clarity?

It’s worse than that my friend we are in a state of equilibrium we are not the worst but not the best for the last 2 decades barring that one year where we were statistically the worst. I know it won’t last forever but when? Will I still be alive?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its pretty grim

I have us comfortably in the worst 3 clubs of the comp this century, along with GCS and Carlton.

There is a slight edge that we have managed to make a prelim (2001), however that was more a hangover of last century.
We have less worse finals appearance droughts however we do have the league record for not winning a final.

Our biggest issue is we never seem to swallow our pride and bottom out properly.
Lose to the Hawks and i hope we go full tank.

One of these sides will win very easily, setting up a positive/feel good start to 2023. Problem is, I have no idea which team it will be.

Any updates on Stringer, Langford & Caldwell? Hoping we can get at least 2 of these 3 on the park for this game although Stringer seems least likely...

Prediction: It will be an absolute shitshow of a game. Horrible football from both teams. By the end of it Essendon fans will be calling for Shiel never to be picked again whilst Hawthorne fans continue to circle jerk each other over Newcombe.
That's not a prediction, that's just another day at the office.

PS You left out Sam Mitchell is a prick.

Any updates on Stringer, Langford & Caldwell? Hoping we can get at least 2 of these 3 on the park for this game although Stringer seems least likely...
i'd be very surprised if Stringer plays, and i dont remember the last "minor" foot/ankle injury we had that didn't turn out to be at least a month out...so Caldwell i'm not expecting either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back