Preview Round 2: Essendon vs Gold Coast, Docklands, Sunday 26th March @ 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Langford in defence is just a flow on from the lack of Medium players on the list and of other players being better then him at other roles (Martin/Durham/Perkins at wing/HF)

Once Cox is healthy you’d imagine it’s between Cox/Langford/Kelly for two spots (medium defender 2 and D7)

I think Langford has real value as a swing player who can play all over the ground. So that should keep him best 23 over guys who are more limited positionally

I just bumped into Jackets and he reckons Bryan could be brought in as a defender, freeing up BZT to pinch hit as second ruck. I asked him what the match committee thinks and he laughed before leaning in with a grin: "mate, I am the match committee!"

Candidly very weird vibes throughout. Will be interested to see how Brad implements this new strategy on Sunday.

I just bumped into Jackets and he reckons Bryan could be brought in as a defender, freeing up BZT to pinch hit as second ruck. I asked him what the match committee thinks and he laughed before leaning in with a grin: "mate, I am the match committee!"

Candidly very weird vibes throughout. Will be interested to see how Brad implements this new strategy on Sunday.
I also ran into him and he lamented that Davey wasn't playing a traditional CHF role on the weekend. There will be some learnings for the lad to take into round 2.

I feel like Langford in defence is just a flow on from the lack of Medium players on the list and of other players being better then him at other roles (Martin/Durham/Perkins at wing/HF)

Once Cox is healthy you’d imagine it’s between Cox/Langford/Kelly for two spots (medium defender 2 and D7)

I think Langford has real value as a swing player who can play all over the ground. So that should keep him best 23 over guys who are more limited positionally
Lack of mediums on the list? If anything we're over full of mediums.

Langford, Ridley, Laverde, Perkins, Heppell, Durham, Stringer, Redman, Kelly and Martin would all be considered mediums. If anything we have a lack of tall defenders which forces Laverde to not play as a medium.

I would have thought Durham more of a natural half back. Rugged, tough and desperate. All the things that Langford isn't. Is his disposal not good enough to play there? I just really feel Langford is out of position back there but would be happy to be proven wrong. He is much more a natural forward and wing, albeit doesn't bring the defensive pressure you would like. Langford and Heppell just dont seem to fit naturally into the make up of our side at the moment, mainly because they are too slow and not defensive enough. Langford at least has natural goal sense as a redeeming feature.

I would have thought Durham more of a natural half back. Rugged, tough and desperate. All the things that Langford isn't. Is his disposal not good enough to play there? I just really feel Langford is out of position back there but would be happy to be proven wrong. He is much more a natural forward and wing, albeit doesn't bring the defensive pressure you would like. Langford and Heppell just dont seem to fit naturally into the make up of our side at the moment, mainly because they are too slow and not defensive enough. Langford at least has natural goal sense as a redeeming feature.

Nah. Huge tank means he is a natural wing.

Hope GC bring a bit more pressure. Doubt there will be too many games where we can move the footy as easily as we did after half time on Sunday.
Interested to see us moving the footy under a bit more pressure .
Would be difficult for them not to, it was reportedly the lowest pressure recorded since the start of 2022.

Not to mention the Suns will be smarting after a 9 goals loss themselves.

I think we will stick with the two rucks, AFL.com.au seems to think we will as well.
There isn't really another obvious choice to drop though

Lack of mediums on the list? If anything we're over full of mediums.

Langford, Ridley, Laverde, Perkins, Heppell, Durham, Stringer, Redman, Kelly and Martin would all be considered mediums. If anything we have a lack of tall defenders which forces Laverde to not play as a medium.

Talls are an issue, but Redman/Kelly play more as smalls and Heppell is more of a VFL player at this point. Stringer is in and out of the side.

So that’s 6 mediums and Laverde is playing big. Makes the team look 5 mediums short

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also worried about height down back, but not sure there's an obvious solution. I don't think we were organised enough defensively to stop the ball getting in there.

Those big guys aren't great but they're good enough to clunk against undersized opponents.

Not sure if serious 🤔

Cup_o_Jobe throwing out more bait than...
Fishing Marlin GIF by The Telegraph

I’d bring Stringer straight in and plonk him at full forward & Tippa needs a full game so back to VFL
Phillips can wear the SUB vest

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Martin Setterfield Durham
Perkins Weideman Davey
Jones Stringer Menzie

Draper Parish Merrett

Bench: Caldwell Shiel Langford Heppell
SUB: Phillips

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d bring Stringer straight in and plonk him at full forward & Tippa needs a full game so back to VFL

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Perkins Weideman Davey
Jones Stringer Menzie

Draper Parish Merrett

Stringer would give up 2cm to Collins if he plays out of the square and won't have the capacity yet to continually lead up and back.

If we bring anyone in I hope it's Voss. Make an example of Stringer and reward the guy who kicked 4 at the same time - build culture. He's also the same height as Collins at 194cm and our team is at a point where experimenting and giving the young players exposure should be being done anyway.

If Weideman doesn't come up, give Voss a go.

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Perkins Weideman Davey
Jones Stringer Menzie

Draper Parish Merrett

Phillips as Sub?

Honestly curious about the BZT Ruck idea.

It weirdly makes a Fair bit of sense. Essendon needs Draper to play more forward with Wright out (and it’s another string to drapers bow/development)

So Phillips/Bryan need to be playing for team balance reasons. Bryan being a young player in a contract year who’s been doing well in the VFL seems a player to try and fit in over Phillips who’s a known player with a known ceiling.

Essendon could use another tall defender and Bryan is still physically not there to play ruck full time has shown to be a very good VFL player and ready for his opportunity…

BZT has developed physically and could stand up to playing 25-40% ruck. Pushing his intercept marking further up the ground also helps the teams FWD pressure/ front half game plan.

Baldwin seemed to do alright in defence in the VFL praccy. Wonder if he comes in and Langford goes forward for Weideman, if Weideman’s innocuous toe injury keeps him out.

Stringer needs to get match fit bit just medically fit so dunno if he’ll be in the AFL this week

Honestly curious about the BZT Ruck idea.

It weirdly makes a Fair bit of sense. Essendon needs Draper to play more forward with Wright out (and it’s another string to drapers bow/development)

So Phillips/Bryan need to be playing for team balance reasons. Bryan being a young player in a contract year who’s been doing well in the VFL seems a player to try and fit in over Phillips who’s a known player with a known ceiling.

Essendon could use another tall defender and Bryan is still physically not there to play ruck full time has shown to be a very good VFL player and ready for his opportunity…

BZT has developed physically and could stand up to playing 25-40% ruck. Pushing his intercept marking further up the ground also helps the teams FWD pressure/ front half game plan.

BZT already plays undersized as a KPD, he'd be even more undersized as a ruck and doesn't appear to have the body strength to negate the height difference like say a Nankervis does.

Bryan I believe can play as a defender, covers the ground well and has a decent read of the play, so if he came in as a second ruck he could rest behind the ball like Gawn has done partly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back