Preview Round 10, 2023: GWS v St.Kilda - GIANTS Stadium, Sunday 21st May, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article yesterday from Bachelor gave great clues,

Read between the lines it was clear who was coming in. Webster and just Webster. Outs obvious too going on past experience. Paton and Sharman are definitely fringe under Ross.

Read between the lines it was clear who was coming in. Webster and just Webster. Outs obvious too going on past experience. Paton and Sharman are definitely fringe under Ross.

Hope it doesn't bite us on the arse.

Saw Bytel get 35 12 clearances and look like Danger and Bont combined and then look ordinary in the seniors.
Windy will get back in, same with Billings, and if not it means we are winning. Ross said he would take a Mulligan from last week's game, but doubt he takes two, so if we play like that again, expect some arse kicking.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ross and Crouch should be 'managed' and we keep Bytel, bring in Windy.
This is looking like Newnes/Weller all over again.

Ross and Crouch aren't playing their roles with the same effectiveness as they were in the earlier games

"Defensive transition and decision-making is a good growth area for him because he wants to round his game off the benefit the AFL team when the opportunity presents, which he’s buying into really well."

The above is obviously what the club want Windhager to work on. Im not sure who it was Stavro or Mowman but they hinted that he was struggling to come to terms and play within the game plan. We obviously dont know how they measure those requirements, but from a lay persons perspective I would suggest Ross and Clark have been ordinary in that regard in the past few weeks. Lets hope Windhager can tick the required boxes, return and cement his place in the side.

I'm fine with Windy not getting the call-up. I'd prefer a body of work rather than the one off VFL game to really bash the door down tbh

I reckon it's not bad either, we have made bulk changes already, Lyon likes consistency and it also gives the players a sense of needing to hold their spots if the get a run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to forget that towards the end of last season that Windhager was the in-form player of the Owens-Nas-Windy young triumvirate. He was the one getting the most cred at that stage even if it was clear that Mitch had the greater upside.

The problem for Windhager was that everyone started with a clean slate under Lyon. The hand injury this year cruelled Windy's start to the season and an early chance to impress the coach and pick up from where he left off last year. His opportunities since have been limited.

I'm sure he'll get back soon. He's too good a prospect to languish in the VFL. It must be frustrating for him though.

"Defensive transition and decision-making is a good growth area for him because he wants to round his game off the benefit the AFL team when the opportunity presents, which he’s buying into really well."

The above is obviously what the club want Windhager to work on. Im not sure who it was Stavro or Mowman but they hinted that he was struggling to come to terms and play within the game plan. We obviously dont know how they measure those requirements, but from a lay persons perspective I would suggest Ross and Clark have been ordinary in that regard in the past few weeks. Lets hope Windhager can tick the required boxes, return and cement his place in the side.
It’s probably similar to Owens last year when he was dropped after round one and had to spend some in the VFL working on his outside game. Have a look at him now. If Windy benefits in the same way he’ll be a better player when he comes back in. Hopefully the same applies to Billings.

very disappointing windy doesn’t get called up
Agree - I’m extremely surprised Windy wasn’t even named in the squad especially as Steele is clearly proppy. I sincerely hope they don’t play Steele if he is not really right to go. GWS are a big ask for us away given our form the last 3 games.

Windy was good 2 weeks ago @ Sandy and clearly dominated last game.

I agree he should put together a body of work but the reality is our midfield has too many of the same one paced type of player and if you look through a clear lense has been fair to ordinary the last 3 games.

I am a big RTB fan but I really hope he was very clear to Windy the reason he was not selected and what he needs to work on. This kid is a hard worker as he led the preseason and is the future along with Owens etc. We need to get AFL games into him this season if he performs @ Sandy

Last edited:
Ross and Crouch should be 'managed' and we keep Bytel, bring in Windy.
This is looking like Newnes/Weller all over again.

Ross and Crouch aren't playing their roles with the same effectiveness as they were in the earlier games

Crouch was our highest ranked player last week (30 possessions) and has been excellent this year. The kids actually got a run on ball in that match and Ross has been moved around last 2 weeks. Both have a very solid resume that make selection more likely than being sent to the VFL..

Newnes was a good ordinary player in a side full of GOPs and earned his place before an injured year. Bleach too spent his last year injured and in hindsight wasn't keeping anyone out of that ordinary side.

It's easy to forget that towards the end of last season that Windhager was the in-form player of the Owens-Nas-Windy young triumvirate. He was the one getting the most cred at that stage even if it was clear that Mitch had the greater upside.

The problem for Windhager was that everyone started with a clean slate under Lyon. The hand injury this year cruelled Windy's start to the season and an early chance to impress the coach and pick up from where he left off last year. His opportunities since have been limited.

I'm sure he'll get back soon. He's too good a prospect to languish in the VFL. It must be frustrating for him though.

I think Windhager's best games were as a tagger but like a young Jack Steele, it can be hard to move from that into a play maker.

microwave GIF

I’m in the “disappointed Windy’s not in” camp, but also in the “let him build a body of work “camp.

I would like his brilliant, dominating VFL form to become his norm game after game, and for him to never again have to play for Sandy once he finally gets his promotion. Too many times we fans, and sometimes the club itself, have pushed kids up on the basis of a really good game or two.

Not going to melt, mainly because I can see the positives. But also because I’m certain this group of coaches know what they’re doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back