Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I am at the acceptance part of my grief for this club.

Doesn’t make it much easier to watch this but at least I am expecting us to play this way now.

I’ve prioritised watching this club for too long. Think I’ll stop watching games lives and watch the occasional replay for my own mental health.
Haha,I stopped watching live, 4 weeks ago and just check the scores.
My wife is very happy that my temper has improved

Our forwards get no decent supply

A fact you seem to want to ignore

C'mon, King should have easily marked those 4 passes to him when he was one on . That those 4 passes were all out on the full did not seem to be a problem for two of our opposition this year who both scored goals from marks taken over the line. ;)

We just play such a horrific style of football. Sorry for the long winded post.

- We won't move forward until the coaches change something. Playing the more dour and dull style won't get us anywhere. The annoying this we actually have players with natural zip and flair but we seem hellbent on coaching it out of them.

- No shock looking at the bottom of the stats sheet to see the players we brought in off average Sandy performance. Collard looked like kid who had 5 un-impactful VFL touches the week before and he couldn't run out the game. Phillipou looked like someone with no form - the coaches failed him by bringing him back after only 1 game down there. That's not setting him up to succeed. Send him back for a month and keep him there no matter how well he plays - like he did with Windy last year which helped his development tremendously.

- Subbing Sharman was dumb considering Collard couldn't run out the game and spent most of the last quarter on the bench, leaving us a rotation down. Sharman may not have been having any impact but he is at least fit enough to run.

- Speaking of Windy - he's one of the only players who has improved this year. He's not pulling consistently big numbers yet but you can see the improvement in how he is setting up and his overall game. One of the bright spots of the year. And should be the reminder that going back to the VFL to get some form isn't a bad thing.

- Marshall doesn't get enough credit for carrying so much of the load. The guy needs help from his teammates desperately.

- Some of the comments on Steele are quite pathetic but par for the course. Guy plays through injuries, carrying our midfield most weeks and gets turned on because he has an average game. Still pulls our most clearances and 2nd most tackles but yeah, he has an attitude issue, sooks it ups with some kind of vendetta etc. Maybe if he had some help in there he wouldn't have to be superman each week for us to have a chance.

- Dow was promising but didn't have the run in him to close out the game. I'm optimistic he will be a good addition with time but it's going to require some patience. Similar with Henry - looked better than last week but clearly was rushed back into the seniors.

- Owens looked much better - 3 goals is an excellent return. Good to see him get some midfield minutes at the end of the last quarter. Just a shame we wait until the game is well and truly over before we give him a chance while Phillipou gets that opportunity for 3 quarters without touching it. I know it has been mentioned Owens gets lost around the ball but if we don't give him experience in there, he will never learn and improve that area of his game. And while I could understand the argument he kicked most of our score so why take him out of the fwd line but given we couldn't get it in there after the 1- minute mark of the 3rd quarter, we are just wasting his talent by not getting him around the ball.

- King was better tonight but it must be so frustrating to be him with how we move the ball and our general skill level. We cant expect any key forward to thrive until we fix what is happening up the field. We also need to speak to the umpire department how the holding off the ball that happening.

- Paton was no good but he's also not a forward. What were we doing playing him there in the first place?

- Just get Battle's contract done and give him what he wants. We have a very good CHB who we've developed into a consistently good performer. Don't let him walk out the door for a mystery draft pick we could only hope will be as good as him in 5-6 years and leaving us to find a replace CHB.

- Hard to judge the defenders properly tonight. We gave up so many shots on goal but that's also a result of that mids getting spanked and the ball coming back in so easily. NWM attacking game on point but needs to improve his defensive side and workrate. Bonner was good last week but this week, his skill issues are inexcusable. We need to make the decision whether Sinclair is going to be half back or a mid - can't be changing our mind every quarter.

Overall, we suck. Will be glad to have Higgins back next week.

It's amusing when you see Steele and Marshall getting bagged out

at the moment Steele is averaging 25.5 possessions a game (career avg is 23.4), tackles 8.2 (7.1), clearances 5.9 (4.5)

Steele ain’t the problem.

Last edited:
at the moment Steele is averaging 25.5 possessions a game (career avg is 23.4), tackles 8.2 (7.1), clearances 5.9 (4.5)

Steele ain’t the problem.
I think the moment of him hand balling from 30cm away to a standing still ruckman (Marshall) in the last quarter probably is a reason he is coping some stick

- We won't move forward until the coaches change something. Playing the more dour and dull style won't get us anywhere. The annoying this we actually have players with natural zip and flair but we seem hellbent on coaching it out of them.

- No shock looking at the bottom of the stats sheet to see the players we brought in off average Sandy performance. Collard looked like kid who had 5 un-impactful VFL touches the week before and he couldn't run out the game. Phillipou looked like someone with no form - the coaches failed him by bringing him back after only 1 game down there. That's not setting him up to succeed. Send him back for a month and keep him there no matter how well he plays - like he did with Windy last year which helped his development tremendously.

- Subbing Sharman was dumb considering Collard couldn't run out the game and spent most of the last quarter on the bench, leaving us a rotation down. Sharman may not have been having any impact but he is at least fit enough to run.

- Speaking of Windy - he's one of the only players who has improved this year. He's not pulling consistently big numbers yet but you can see the improvement in how he is setting up and his overall game. One of the bright spots of the year. And should be the reminder that going back to the VFL to get some form isn't a bad thing.

- Marshall doesn't get enough credit for carrying so much of the load. The guy needs help from his teammates desperately.

- Some of the comments on Steele are quite pathetic but par for the course. Guy plays through injuries, carrying our midfield most weeks and gets turned on because he has an average game. Still pulls our most clearances and 2nd most tackles but yeah, he has an attitude issue, sooks it ups with some kind of vendetta etc. Maybe if he had some help in there he wouldn't have to be superman each week for us to have a chance.

- Dow was promising but didn't have the run in him to close out the game. I'm optimistic he will be a good addition with time but it's going to require some patience. Similar with Henry - looked better than last week but clearly was rushed back into the seniors.

- Owens looked much better - 3 goals is an excellent return. Good to see him get some midfield minutes at the end of the last quarter. Just a shame we wait until the game is well and truly over before we give him a chance while Phillipou gets that opportunity for 3 quarters without touching it. I know it has been mentioned Owens gets lost around the ball but if we don't give him experience in there, he will never learn and improve that area of his game. And while I could understand the argument he kicked most of our score so why take him out of the fwd line but given we couldn't get it in there after the 1- minute mark of the 3rd quarter, we are just wasting his talent by not getting him around the ball.

- King was better tonight but it must be so frustrating to be him with how we move the ball and our general skill level. We cant expect any key forward to thrive until we fix what is happening up the field. We also need to speak to the umpire department how the holding off the ball that happening.

- Paton was no good but he's also not a forward. What were we doing playing him there in the first place?

- Just get Battle's contract done and give him what he wants. We have a very good CHB who we've developed into a consistently good performer. Don't let him walk out the door for a mystery draft pick we could only hope will be as good as him in 5-6 years and leaving us to find a replace CHB.

- Hard to judge the defenders properly tonight. We gave up so many shots on goal but that's also a result of that mids getting spanked and the ball coming back in so easily. NWM attacking game on point but needs to improve his defensive side and workrate. Bonner was good last week but this week, his skill issues are inexcusable. We need to make the decision whether Sinclair is going to be half back or a mid - can't be changing our mind every quarter.

Great post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I think Sharmy may be hard pressed to get another run in the firsts.
Collard should get at least another week.
Pato probably same as Sharmy but will probably get another week.
Poo is on the verge of a good game just needs to delete everything the coaches have told him and play his natural game.
Jones to the starting 22.

Was quite worrying that freo worked out pretty quickly that if they press and man up on our kick ins that our options were very limited which forced us into a long kick to a contest.
Which we lost more often than not, giving them repeated fwd entries.
It didn’t even really matter that they were terribly inaccurate.
In fact I think it was a positive for them.
Get ready for more of the same next week unless rtb can come up with a workable workaround.

I thought Bonner was good apart from 2 bad kicks that were glaring. King was still no good, we're at the point of patronising him now.

Steele shouldn't play if he's not right. He's a liability when he sulks it up. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade. He seems to be unhappy and playing like it.

We have a the worst midfield in footy. Steele - who at his best is a good A grade player without much in the way of X factor or match winner about him. Windhager, a developing inside mid who is honest as old boots but lacks hurt factor so far, Seb Ross who looks like he's struggling to get 15 possessions most weeks, Crouch who some say has career ending injuries but when in is another Steele, Dow who is a poor kick and yesterday a way off the pace and Jones who struggles to impact anything.

Then we have a better than average outside running brigade with guys like Henry, Hill, Wilson, Wood, Wang, Bonner etc. We don't have anyone to get it out to them though and none are contested or tough.

Our forward structure is a mess without Butler and Snags. It's too tall and doesn't make any sense. Collard and Paton were there as patches.

Without the emotion of post loss I think we need this season to get a good mid from the draft and we had better be digging through every list in footy to find some established mids, especially hard-nosed inside types like LDU.

We should throw money at Stengle too.

I have passion for football in general and am enjoying it yet that doesn't apply to my own team.

This year my passion for the saints is at an all time low. I am not fussed when we lose as we don't look like winning when we play so there's no sitting on the edge of my seat. It's weird too as we keep losing by small margins yet i don't expect any heroics from any of our players to get it done.

There's no cohesion with the group when moving the ball forward on centre. The teams forward craft as a whole is deplorable. King sucks balls this year, really lowered his colours.

Higgins is our best forward by a mile. Owens while having a down year gets a pass. Caminiti gets a tick and should never have been dropped.

Rest of the forwards can GAGF, lol.

Also this ins and outs this week....

1716073583216.png

Like that was ever going to get it done. Repeating myself here when i say this..

Dow didn't earn it!
Zak Jones is a spud, shouldn't even be on the list.
Collard didn't earn it!
Phillipou didn't earn it! I also think he sucks as a footballer. Another hyped spud.
Sharman didn't earn it!
Caminiti - Should never have been dropped

Hastie - Neither here, nor there.
Stocker - Don't love his form but still better then what was bought in
Hayes - Never earned it to begin with
Ross - Should not have been dropped
Membrey - Yep
Garcia - Why drop him? We need small forward pressure. He's a first year player with upside and doing his role.

Anyway, whatever. Hoping for a bottom four finish and Battle to give us band one so we can hit the draft with picks 4 and 5.

Sad state of affairs when our full forward is getting a pass mark for his game with a 0 goals 1 behind match. Yes I know delivery was poor...but still.
I’ve been as harsh on King as anyone, however last night wasn’t his fault. I don’t think a single forward in the league would have succeeded when the ball was coming in so slow into a congested forward line and kicked to a disadvantageous position most of the time. And when he was on a good lead they kicked it out on the full. And there were three or four instances where umpires would usually pay either a mark or free kick that he didn’t get. He still needs to work on his forward craft but he competed far better last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back