Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, not too disappointed because this is pretty much what I expected. Whatever has got us into this form slump isn't going to be reversed within a week. Some better signs today but still so much to improve.

Liked seeing Dow out there and so happy to have Henry back.
Owens and Caminiti were lively too. It was good to see Collard out there, even if he didn't set the world on fire he did some good things and I hope he keeps his spot.

Least we don’t have to watch footy rest of the year. Horrid stuff. Least we’re getting a top 5 pick

Probably the worst game for the year outside of the Dogs.

Lyon has managed to oversee 20+ blokes in career worst form. Not a coincidence.

He will quit at the end of the year. Out of answers, probably gets another media gig pretty easy. He looks done, no plan B and he looks over it. No more levers to pull, he has been badly exposed this year.

Thank god I didn’t force my kid to pick st Kilda. He’s chosen a different club thankfully. Too late for me to change club now but I’ll sleep easier that my kids will at least see a premiership in their lifetime.

has pou ever played a game of footy in his life, or are our coaches crushing his natural ability? Can't find the thing to save himself, needs a serious circuit breaker. Half back flank, a month in the mids at sandy, something, needs the freedom to get his hands on the pill. Right now we're looking at a serious bust for pick 8, the latest in a long line of first round busts

Love Steeley but he shouldn’t be captain. Simple as that. When it’s not going well for him or the team he drops his head. No matter what the captain needs to be up and about encouraging and directing.

Wilkie should be captain, cos I don’t know who else could.
Steele is a horrible captain. I get the idea in giving someone the role to grow into but it's been disastrous for him and the club.

Hand it over to Wilkie and just hope Steele can find a patch of form again.

Funk us off to Tassie already. Just woefully led at the moment. Insipid and the lowest point in a long long time. Will stymie the careers of what were some promising kids.

has pou ever played a game of footy in his life, or are our coaches crushing his natural ability? Can't find the thing to save himself, needs a serious circuit breaker. Half back flank, a month in the mids at sandy, something, needs the freedom to get his hands on the pill. Right now we're looking at a serious bust for pick 8, the latest in a long line of first round busts
Looks lost. I think they thought he'd progress like fyfe. Throw him into the midfield and it'd happen.

Now he looks a shadow of himself.

mmmmm cant wait for that pick 4 or 5.
So we can use it on some spud one pick before that generational guy goes somewhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t club. s**t game.

Maybe someone who's at the game can comment but on TV I swear I've seen more life at a cemetery.

Commentators even said it felt like a morgue in there.

There is absolutely nothing positive happening right now and the vibe I'm getting from saints fans is that they genuinely have no hope. Even during richo and ratts there was hope.

This feels really ******* bleak.

It was depressing. I think everyone knew what was going to happen.

Then it did

I was so happy when we got Ross back as coach, I thought finally we have a coach who knows how to get the most out of his players.
But this year we have definitely gone backwards!
I can’t see what our gameplan is or what we’re trying to achieve, it is seriously depressing to watch.

We all know where our midfield stands BUT our forward line shouldn’t be so bad. You can’t win a game with just 8 goals. It’s just so s….!!!!! I’m calling ECO

Firstly a better performance, but if Freo had of kicked straight it would have been a 10 goal loss. Our skills are terrible under pressure, we fumbled and dropped everything and kept coughing it up.

Can we make Rowan Marshall captain next year, Steele doesnt deserve it. In fact, Steele didnt deserve his position in the midfield tonight. Why is Lyon so reticent to move out of form players away from the midfield when they are flogged?

Our ball movement and F50 entries and lack of scoring are still putrid. The manner we fluff around with the ball when kicking out after a behind is comical. Going through the corridor is something Lyon has completely forgotten about.

Our defenders would continually record the slowest ball movement of any club in the competition. The only time they are moving at pace is when they are chasing an opponent.

You could count on two hands the amount of times our forwards lead up at the ball inside 50. Bombing it long has become the norm which is also a very poor tactic to use constantly. At the moment we dont have any crumbers, King is not clunking many.

FFS work with your teams strengths all our forwards look better and function better when they lead up at the ball.

Lyon and his coaches have had an absolute shocker this year and its not going to get any better with the way he has them playing. Apart from Marshall, Hill and Wilkie they have managed to create an entire list to be completely out of form.

If the club dont look at their game plan and line coaches at seasons end then they will never progress.

Last edited:
We kicked 2 goals within the first 10 minutes or so, then 6 more for the rest of the game. Midfield is bloody sparse. We do some dumb shit too, chip it around in our backline then give it to our ruckman to take the exit kick. Lot of hospital handballs. Lot of broken tackles.

Also I never usually criticise coaching because you never know what the players are told as opposed to how they execute, but **** me Paton as a forward for 85% of this game? WTF were they thinking? We DROPPED Hayes, Garcia and Hastie and brought in Paton to run around like a headless chook in the forward line. SURELY Hayes is better as a forward even if he's less mobile, he has genuine forward craft and is a decent 2nd ruck. We bring in Jones and Phillipou (let's be honest Jones time as an AFL footballer is done, he's depth) then play Phillipou on ball where he cannot get a touch and was struggling before getting dropped, then at the end of the game throw him forward and he actually kicks a goal and presents at 2 marking contests well (unlucky not to get paid one mark/in the back at a contest), WTF is the logic in persisting with him at stoppages when he's not showing promise as a mid but has shown promise as a forward? Honestly setting ourselves up for failure.

Some real questionable coaching and selection decisions.

I know as St Kilda supporters we’re generally wingers, but heck me the guy on level 2 bay 27 was something else. If you’re going to pot the team that much, don’t ******* come to the game.

I was in the firing line, not sure what’s given me more of a headache; his yelling or crap takes/analysis on the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back