Autopsy Round 12, 2023 : Hawks on smoko for the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Weddle is going to be an absolute beast great recruiting. When are we going to wear our proper guernsey again ??? Isn’t the SDN round over for the year ???
That was the last time we are wearing that guernsey. But I wouldn’t mind if we wear it for the rest of the year. Love it

Agree was a great call to sub him in. Thought he was really good. Stats say he only.had 12 touches which says he is damaging with the pill as felt like he had 20.
I felt like the run on port had started to stop when he was subbed on. Had some really nice touches through the middle. Has a good sidestep too.

One observation about the first half where Sicily's absence caused confusion about who did what, was the frequent inability of Hawthorn players slipping at crucial moments/unable to hold their feet. Did they change boots/stops at half time or were the players just bedazzled by Port?

One observation about the first half where Sicily's absence caused confusion about who did what, was the frequent inability of Hawthorn players slipping at crucial moments/unable to hold their feet. Did they change boots/stops at half time or were the players just bedazzled by Port?
I think it was the quick ball movement and not knowing where they should be with Sicily not controlling the back line. Easily our most important player

leonardo dicaprio GIF
bowing-thank-you.gif

Sicily and seamus were big holes in that defense they actually defend. It was no surprise to me when day moved back to defense that we stabilised the situation a bit. Having Bmac who was playing his first game and weddle 5 or 6 made us inexperienced. Scrim tried hard but the defense really found it hard to work as a team.

Sicily and seamus were big holes in that defense they actually defend. It was no surprise to me when day moved back to defense that we stabilised the situation a bit. Having Bmac who was playing his first game and weddle 5 or 6 made us inexperienced. Scrim tried hard but the defense really found it hard to work as a team.
3 of our first 6 picked defenders were out, Frost had a mare and his worst game for the club. Scrimshaw trying to find form and 3 players with 20 games of experience between going into the game was always going to be tough when we were killed at the clearances.

Have to be proud how they stuck it out and got on top.

I am not sure why so many of our players were slipping in broad daylight; like wearing ice skates.

and smothers………on the opposition please not your teammate 🤨

Took my iPad to hospital to watch the game on Kayo with him, and he told me he had seen enough and that I could go home if I wanted.😂 so I did at half time

we got badly beaten in the middle yesterday and that hasn’t happened too many times this year.

It just took us too long to stop the Giant Slalom course we set up for Port.

we saw more of the encouraging signs again in the second half

3 of our first 6 picked defenders were out, Frost had a mare and his worst game for the club. Scrimshaw trying to find form and 3 players with 20 games of experience between going into the game was always going to be tough when we were killed at the clearances.

Excatly I think Mitchell chewed off a bit to much at the selection table.

I was so proud of Weddle response Finalyson was on fire early. Weddle had the fumbles up and was turning the footy over while the team was under seige.

The response was great he continued to take the game on, settled his nerves took some big pack marks and finished the day with 25 touches at 75% with 8 intercept possessions.

Excatly I think Mitchell chewed off a bit to much at the selection table.

I was so proud of Weddle response Finalyson was on fire early. Weddle had the fumbles up and was turning the footy over while the team was under seige.

The response was great he continued to take the game on, settled his nerves took some big pack marks and finished the day with 25 touches at 75% with 8 intercept possessions.
I still would have had DGB for Sicily. Scrim should have been fighting for Seamus' spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I'm back from the Gulag after a certain someone didn't like me calling him out on the forum and others had a laugh about it :joycat::joycat::joycat:

Impressed with the mental of some of our younger squad yesterday. It would of been quite easy to throw in the towel and let them put 200+ on us, but they had a crack and made it half respectable.

I think Frost benefits significantly from having Sicily in the side. He had to be the leader doing a lot of defensive work for a midfield/fwd that couldn't win a clearance, lay a tackle or apply any pressure whatsoever – all the while marshaling the troops. He was clearly out of his depth without Sic giving him a chop out. His workrate was good and he got to so many contests that he could've positively impacted but unfortunately fluffed nearly all of them.

I was really impressed with how Weddle and Day defended in the 2nd half considering one is a 5-gamer and the other hasn't played or trained defence for 10 months

Port are at the top of their game. Once they got off to a flyer we were in trouble.

Positives were Weddle, Mckenzie and Brockman showing us more of what they could be.

Nash played his worst game for some time. Went back to looking awkward and lacking awareness. Frost had a mare. At his age you do wonder whether these shockers shouldn't be happing. Another one of our players who would be ok in a really good side but carrying the load is often beyond them.

Last edited:
Media saying Port took the foot off the pedal. That their pressure dropped off when they knew they had the game won.

2 weeks ago we could've done the same v WCE. No, we put the foot down.

We actually didn't allow Port to put the foot down. That should be the narrative.
both Sam and Weddle mentioned that it was quite hot and that our boys struggled to adjust to the conditions. IDK if they meant the pressure or the weather though lol. But anyway, Port's pressure in the first half was immense – I reckon there's a good chance it dropped off, not just because they had already won the game, but also they were straight up tired due to exerting so much energy. And we were able to capitalise. It's way too simple to just say "foot off the pedal" especially when you're a rebuilding side looking for learnings rather than a W/L

Media saying Port took the foot off the pedal. That their pressure dropped off when they knew they had the game won.

2 weeks ago we could've done the same v WCE. No, we put the foot down.

We actually didn't allow Port to put the foot down. That should be the narrative.
Foot off peddle true , pressure around contests thus dropped as did intenserty to chase and apply pressure to the ball carrier …

Having said the above …… what the above does not change is

Wed’s flying for and taking contested marks
Mc’s genuine speed and dare off halfback .
ML showing he’s as good below his knees as he is in the air .
Brockman is all class
we have now got midfield depth

port dropping off is a blight on them imo and not a reason to place doubt on our willingness to keep working with dare and flair .

let the doubters do their thing and us ours .

#building#building

Well I'm back from the Gulag after a certain someone didn't like me calling him out on the forum and others had a laugh about it :joycat::joycat::joycat:

Impressed with the mental of some of our younger squad yesterday. It would of been quite easy to throw in the towel and let them put 200+ on us, but they had a crack and made it half respectable.
"4 Modding. You got an issue with modding or how the board is modded, take it up with the board mods or admin privately. We don't want to read any comments on the boards about moderation."

You're just gonna get yourself another day off, come back, complain again and repeat the cycle.

The first half Weddle bashing in the game day thread didn’t age well.

That game was a good example of how important pressure is. If you can maintain it you can blow teams away and if you take your foot off the peddle the script can flip. We will learn a lot from that game.

Yep. Someone "bravely" saying that Weddle was scared of contact...

Lion_tomas.jpg

Pretty interesting game, ports pressure first game plan was pretty smart, and it feels like teams are trying to do it earlier in games now particularly knowing they don’t want to be in a close match with a growing side.

The game is unbelievable fast now and running has just gone way up, feels like the kids coming through are a lot more prepared for the running involved now. Elite runners will be on every line in every club in 3 years that the flow of the game strategy will be pretty varied. Having the ability to put Moore in the middle and role day back just helps keep the midfield offering different looks and managing energy.

Other than the individual plays I’m more impressed in how our scoring and attack is building, we will have opportunities to go on scoring runs soon, those 5-6 unanswered goals to put teams away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back