Autopsy Round 24, 2023 : Hawks slow to a crawl

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Mitchell presser interesting when he was pressed on Ben Mckay. Played a nice straight bat and put it all on Macca.

Don't know what to make of that effort. Just hope there wasn't 100% effort. If it was 100% then they still have a looooong way to go.

Dylan Moore has the effort and the ability to kick a goal when we need it !
Something Joel Selwood has to answer for is almost every time Dylan goes for a ground ball he either plays for a high free kick or leans forward to try and get in the back free kick !
God I hope the coaches get this out of his game as he really frustrates me as a supporter because of the way he plays in this fashion !
If I was an umpire he would not ever get one of these staged free kicks !
I don’t have an answer for how you stop players like Moore and Ginnivan playing like this but to me it turns me off the player!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well I did get my wish for Sicily to put on another MCG clinic to reinforce his AA spot so at least that is one positive from today.

We should all take a second to think about the level of footy that the Blonde Prince has played these last two years, it really has been an incredible display of sustained brilliance.

I honestly got the impression Sam Mitchell didn't care about the win but was keen to try out a few moves and test some players in an AFL environment rather than VFL.

Could Kosi lead the forward line?

Could Finn play another role other than tagger

Sicily and Scrimmers forward to test Serong against big bodied forwards alongside Blanck.

Could Meek play as well as Reeves - they had a half each.

Could Ward improve his wing play etc etc etc

To me, some of the moves were done to test some theories about which players could do what.

And of course - who still fought to the end despite the game being lost early on.

2c

Should've played Jeka today, because why not...can mark and kick, nothing to lose, even if he brain fades for a 1/4 would still provide a target up Fwd and kick a couple

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last game of the year. Players not gearing up for the finals are mostly thinking about beers and a break. Not sure why people are taking this match seriously.

Took the time to rock up at the G. Can’t remember a hawks team not giving a yelp in the last game. 2005 maybe

As for the excuse of “last game of the year, boys were planning their holiday”…
Can’t buy that myself, it would be like me saying to my boss, “sorry mate, missed out on that contract, might just cruise for the next few weeks”. He’d tell me to fro and pull my head in.
When you’re a highly paid individual, that excuse doesn’t wash.

I mentioned in the preview thread, that we have a recent history of not being able to go with an opponent when we are the favourite (north and WCE aside). So whilst today’s result was disappointing no one should be really surprised- its normal service resumed. Until we fix this, I’m loathe to be getting carried away.
So there's 4 instances of us going into a game as favourite this season: 3 convincing wins and 1 loss in a dead rubber.

It does look bad when you exclude all the evidence against it. :think:

Jarmen Impey really needs to address his decision making and especially his kicking to position out of defence !
His turnover’s are out of control and I am sure Bailey McDonald and Seamus Mitchell would be rubbing there hands together for him that backline position next year!
Impey’s foot skills the last month have deplorable!

Jarmen Impey really needs to address his decision making and especially his kicking to position out of defence !
His turnover’s are out of control and I am sure Bailey McDonald and Seamus Mitchell would be rubbing there hands together for him that backline position next year!
Impey’s foot skills the last month have deplorable!

I don’t have Impey in our best 22. His decision making is well below par, and his disposal is just as bad. Constantly calls for the ball when not in a position to do anything of use with it.

I just finished watching the game on Kayo having had family duties preventing me from getting to the game. Freo simply outworked us on the day and we did not handle the pressure. There certainly was a bit of experimentation with positional changes but basically Freo worked harder and had a functional forward line. We still have a way to go but at least it is obvious to everyone what positional needs we have going forward.

I thought we were very obviously trying, just ran out of gas. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug going through the playing group.

Freo were very very good. Disposed of it beautifully and their defensive structures were top notch.

Reckon there's something in us playing a lot better with a fit and firing Wingard. Him and Lewis make our forwardline infinitely better.

So there's 4 instances of us going into a game as favourite this season: 3 convincing wins and 1 loss in a dead rubber.

It does look bad when you exclude all the evidence against it. :think:
Perhaps you missed the part where I said “north and WCE aside”. Sheesh. It’s been a pattern for the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Last edited:
I loved today's game, had my eyes glued to the tv all game. Which was good because at that close, I couldn't see a thing.

Game was great, no injuries and all the boys head into pre season fired up.

Reckon they all hit the pub early haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back