Preview Round 12, 2023 : Port Adelaide v Hawthorn, 1:45pm Sat 2nd June, AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of Wines it’s not like port have a big midfielders. JHF, Butters, Rozee and Drew are still building their bodies. We have port for size in the midfield.

Was going to say this. Experience is similar. Ports mids have way more goals though

2023 record with Wingard playing: 0-7
2023 record without Wingard playing: 3-1

Nothing can just justify his inclusion for me.

I agree he should not come back in at the expense of Brockman, Butler or MacDonald in the short term.

But using the win/loss numbers as some kind of justification is totally misleading.

Last edited:
I agree he should come back in at the expense of Brockman, Butler or MacDonald in the short term.

But using the win/loss numbers as some kind of justification is totally misleading.

For leadership? How’s it going without him? Seriously Lewis and bruest are enough leadership. Surely the benefit of leadership is to help young players not keep them out of the team

For leadership? How’s it going without him? Seriously Lewis and bruest are enough leadership. Surely the benefit of leadership is to help young players not keep them out of the team

Should not*

I believe I missed the most important word in the sentence there.

I've been Wingard's biggest fan on here, even before we traded for him. IMO he's one of the very few most talented players in the league and if not for injuries he'd have been the crown jewel of our midfield - but that's not to be. I want him to be 100% right before we think about bringing him back. IMO we are better served playing the younger group as they need games.

Last edited:
Should not*

I believe I missed the most important word on that sentence there.

I've been Wingard's biggest fan on here, even before we traded for him. IMO he's one of the very few most talented players in the league and if not for injuries he'd have been the crown jewel of our midfield - but that's not to be. I want him to be 100% right before we think about bringing him back. IMO we are better served playing the younger group as they need games.
Ah OK we agree.

Somehow we’ve arrived at a fairly optimal 22 and should stay with it where possible for a while. At the same time box hill are so overpowering at VFL they sometimes take the Mickey.

But sometimes these issues are solved by the long season and fitness. Wingard Ward CJ would have claims when fit. DGB Harry Scrim Greene Ramma Long ready for roles if required. It’s a good space really

I'm of the opinion that Wingard should return via Box Hill. He's looked very underdone this year, just lacks urgency and clearly is hampered by his soft tissue concerns. Put him into BH and get some game time into him and let him build fitness and confidence in his body. His best is definitely best 22 but he's not there currently.

Scrim has been the subject of a lot of discussion in this thread and he's been called out for his work rate and application. From what we've seen this year, Wingard should be in the same boat.

I'm of the opinion that Wingard should return via Box Hill. He's looked very underdone this year, just lacks urgency and clearly is hampered by his soft tissue concerns. Put him into BH and get some game time into him and let him build fitness and confidence in his body. His best is definitely best 22 but he's not there currently.

Scrim has been the subject of a lot of discussion in this thread and he's been called out for his work rate and application. From what we've seen this year, Wingard should be in the same boat.

Not sure what will be achieved with him playing reserves. He thrives on big games and the big stage. Give him a game in front of a packed house against his former side on a ground he knows well. With the recent emergence of Hawthorns form and a glimpse of the future maybe it’s the spark he needed. Also a run in the midfield for a few touches may do him a world of good.

Not sure what will be achieved with him playing reserves. He thrives on big games and the big stage. Give him a game in front of a packed house against his former side on a ground he knows well. With the recent emergence of Hawthorns form and a glimpse of the future maybe it’s the spark he needed. Also a run in the midfield for a few touches may do him a world of good.
I don’t disagree with the premise except in the case he isn’t fit enough to perform.

One of the trade targets for Chad is Port and so allowing him to Audition there isn't bad. I wouldn't mind if Chad replaces one of Butler or Bruest(managed, so we can have the 500th goal at home).
But I also understand rewarding players who have performed, so ambivalent to it all. Fine with whatever Sam does.

One of the trade targets for Chad is Port and so allowing him to Audition there isn't bad. I wouldn't mind if Chad replaces one of Butler or Bruest(managed, so we can have the 500th goal at home).
But I also understand rewarding players who have performed, so ambivalent to it all. Fine with whatever Sam does.
For as long as C Cornes is at Port.. C Wingard would never return.

Form aside… And for what it’s worth he loves the club & his team mates love him.

Has almost zero worth to another team IMO...

Form aside… And for what it’s worth he loves the club & his team mates love him.
When Sizzlesilk talks Port, I listen. Cheers for the insight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has almost zero worth to another team IMO...
I started a speculation thread on Wingard earlier, the best trade offer from other club fans given is 3rd round pick for a team in flag window. Obviously our fans rate him as NIL trade value, nothing surprising there.

Will defer to your knowledge here. Didn't realise there were bruised egos at play here. Maybe time has cured some of them.

Last edited:
Our midfield is playing 9/10. They can hang with any side at this point and dominate most.
Our defense is 5/10. Weddle and Blanck are performing and the defense is steadily rising.
Our forward line remains a sorry 3/10. We need another quality tall. Kosi just ain't quite it, unfortunately. Trade, draft, or steal. But we need one.

So, I think we can get plenty of opportunities but are still a mid-table team. Port is too complete at all ends of the ground and despite our midfield's heroic efforts, we'll squander the opportunities while Port will capitalise more consistently on theirs.

But, man, we're fun to watch. When the forward line starts running effective patterns, clearing space and presenting quality opportunities for the mids... we are going to be so damned good it will make my eyes water.

Chads future is not the current hawthorn priority. We are not enduring pain just to see charity acts.

And we aren’t managing in form players so close to a bye.
Chads form and confidence is as bad as it ever has been. No one including Chad disputes that. I don’t see a need to **** all over him given his overall contribution.

He certainly hasn’t had the match day impact everyone had hoped for.
A number of issues that could not have been foreseen are the reason for that.

But… make no mistake about his impact on the club standards & playing list. Things would’ve been far messier for us had Chad not been steering a very large ship behind the
scenes.
We would be in the same win/loss position with Burton & whoever we selected with the XD pick.
Wingards leadership has been above what anyone could have expected.

And by the way… there is little doubt among Port people who dare admit it that they play in 2020 GF had they not done that trade.
Burtons selfish declaration of full fitness tarnished the trust for a long time.

So don’t think Port are happy that trade got done. They’d have been far better off removing the source of Chads frustrations or resolving it.
He is a very decent person.

Last edited:
Just checked into my flight for 1310 on Friday, might be a fair chance of having the Hawks players on it again just like a month ago when I went to Perth.

I'll try get a selfie with Ned Reeves for you all this time if they are.
You can tag it as #Reeves28.

Nash takes Rosee. Rosee does not play defence. Nash will win the negating and run off Rosee.

But who will shut down Butters? He is fast becoming the best player in the comp. Answer: in general play: Seamus Mitchell. Butters is fast, but so is Mitchell. Make it happen
Nash goes to butters. Rozee is good but not as damaging.

Nash goes to butters. Rozee is good but not as damaging.
But, hinkley is in his general's tent asking "who goes on nash?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back