Preview Round 12 - GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday 9th June 2018, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
That was impressive. One of the best wins we've ever had as a club, and that is not hyperbole.

Written off because of poor form, injuries, away to Adelaide and their feral supporters, biased commentators (that means you Mark Ricciuto), an absurdly lopsided crowd, and an even more absurdly lopsided free kick count - and we still came home with the four points. :D

What's really exciting is that we looked like contenders for the first time this season - and for the first time in a long time. Repeatedly challenged and we answered every one. Just shows what a bit of tackling pressure can do.

I don't know where you've been hiding it boys, but make sure you bottle it.

Forward march to next weekend against the Suns. They were absolutely creamed by the Cats at home yesterday, and will be well and truly ripe for the picking. This is a great chance to make up some of the precious percentage we frittered away over the last month. So no resting on laurels, please.

I don't think there will be many changes to the team. Why would you need to after a performance like that? Coniglio played a blinder and I hope his concussion is not serious. Reid suffered a groin strain. I think we might be able to cover for them. ;)

I'll resist the temptation to say the Giant has awakened just yet, and save that cliche for Rounds 16-18 if we win. There's still a long way to go.

But I think everyone is looking forward to Saturday with some confidence now. And I'm certainly looking forward to when the team run out next week. The roar will be worth it.

We play like that next week and the Suns will be toast.

But as that's the 1st time we have played that way this year I'm hesitant to think that will be consistent going fwd.

MDB is due back next week (as is Kennedy but surely he comes back through NeAFL) but who would we drop? :think:

Happy to go with the same team.

Scull is due back rnd 16 from what I heard in the pregame(still no word on Tobes) so fingers crossed we snag a few more wins keeping in the 8, getting in there 1st of course, and then make our run.

I think the Match Committee is likely to look at keeping the winning team ... but my view is that we should still be looking at improving those aspects that were down. So those whose contributions contributed least to the win - perhaps Perryman and Reid - could be looked at. HH was better today, so he's presumably safe for another week - wish he could kick straighter though. Hopefully Cogs is OK - his attack on the ball would be difficult to replace.

bring it on !!!! if Mdb is back, that's a pretty big in IMO = more tackling pressure is always welcome :)

cant get complacent though, yesterday was fantastic but we're still in a predicament - need to keep this up.

I'm with the others in this thread re the crowd. Just hope everyone shows up to welcome the guys back home after a great result.
I hate the timeslot but it usually draws well. Looking for more than the Bombers game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn. :( We tend to be conservative with concussions, so suspect he will miss. That would be a big out. So who would replace him if he's out? If MdB returns, is that a straight swap and Reid/Perryman gets saved, or do we need someone who's better at the grunt work?

Personally, I'd be tempted to give young Nick Shipley a run in the guts, with MdB replacing Reid (presuming he's injured). I know he wasn't the most influential in his previous games, but giving him a run in his primary position might see a better return. Either way, Taranto & Hopper will need to step their games up a notch.

Talking about crowds all we can hope for is our biggest crowd against the Suns, will show improvement.

If we can 10k plus then its a win.
Is there anywhere inside you can watch with a young family. My son is 5, his mum will only let him go if he is not exposed to the cold/wet.

Is there anywhere inside you can watch with a young family. My son is 5, his mum will only let him go if he is not exposed to the cold/wet.
Members bar is about it.

Yep I've taken mine in plenty of times, sometimes they even have a blackboard and stuff for them to play with down one end.
They also seem to opening up both wings of the bar lately greatly increasing the space for those members that require elemental protection

They also seem to opening up both wings of the bar lately greatly increasing the space for those members that require elemental protection

That other half has been just about everything - it was the Members GA bar at one point, then a function area, then a women's bar for a couple of games, then just empty, then... I'm never sure what it is as a result, but there's generally a lot more room.

Feeling more confident about this game after the weekend but it will still be a tough ask after a 6 day break and the physical game
I can see a few changes depending on how players pull up and with doubts over Reid and Coniglio my 22 would be

Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Corr Taylor
TT Ward Kelly
MDB Cameron Griffen
Langdon Patton Lloyd
Lobb Hopper Shiel
Tomlinson HH Perryman Cumming

Buntine, TOJ and Shipley possibilities also but I think Taylor stays in after a good performance and the Suns at home will not be a walkover but with Davis Shaw and Haynes as experience around him it will be easier for him although I would like to see Buntine back in. I think Shipley has had his opportunity for the year and the taste of top level will motivate him to improve and come back pushing for selection and Cumming needs the exposure this year as he will need to play more and he is in a position that we need players.
Depending on numbers TT looks due for a rest but maybe the Lions to give him 2 weeks break with the bye

Liked the defensive match-ups last week, Corr v. Betts & Taylor v. Fogarty were brilliant, freed Tommo up from deep defence and kept Haynes & Shaw looser.
That tactic should flow through this week, pick players for roles; if there's no-one like-sized and experienced for Sam Taylor, he shouldn't get picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back