Toast Round 12 = West Coast 57-120 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Screenshot_20230605-053617~2.png
Sick Runaway GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Do you seriously think Jordie expected the kid to brace for impact? I doubt that he had any thought in his head other than connecting hard with the guy's head on the way through. I love De Goey as a player, but Cornes was right in saying the guy has found a means to upset nearly every season and has not achieved what might be expected of a player of his talent at age 27.
Do you think the kid could see Jordy coming?
Given that JDG was in contact with the ground at the time of contact and left the ground only after impact, I think its a relevant question

Listening to some stat experts this week, it seems they would have rated our Premiership chances higher had we lost today - and maybe a couple of others. Dominant teams half way through the year haven't won the flag that often in recent years.

Lunacy. And shows that just looking at numbers can blind you to reality.

I don't believe we're the clear flag favourites, but we're definitely a good chance. Banking wins early is what any club wants, and we've banked the most.
The stats they are quoting are bogus, because at least half of the (11 /12 win out of 12) teams to which they are referring , lost to another team that was also 11/12 wins. Eg Pies and Cats were both 11/12 wins in 2011, and Saints and Cats in anther year, etc.

There were a few teams that fluffed their lines in a PF or otherwise, but I think thats got way more to do with them not actually having been that good or copping injuries or whatever

Personally I reckon JDG would've expected this kid to get rid of the ball much quicker, slow down and then pretty much be walking at time of impact. Unfortunately for JDG he was a young, inexperienced player who probably hasn't fully discovered the pace of the game and thought he had much more time than he did.

Instead he kept coming towards him, ball in hand, and his decision of not having to do much quickly turned into tackle which then at the last second turned into just bracing for contact or bumping, whatever you want to call it.

With that in mind it's ridiculous click bait to call it a weak act. I actually don't mind Cornes typically because he calls a spade a spade but he's off the mark here. It was a "football act" as Buckley mentioned, albeit a poorly executed one.

That said, he ****ed up. And the matrix says tribunal, and the tribunal says 3 weeks minimum. I just hope it's 3 weeks maximum.

Can someone tell me how a bigger player like De Goey standing his ground and making contact in a split second late hit warrants 3 weeks, but Kosi Pickett turning himself into an airborne hyper sonic missile with direct head contact warrants 2 weeks?

Maybe I’ve been watching too much hockey but the overreaction to this makes me think I’m living in bizarro world.

The stats they are quoting are bogus, because at least half of the (11 /12 win out of 12) teams to which they are referring , lost to another team that was also 11/12 wins. Eg Pies and Cats were both 11/12 wins in 2011, and Saints and Cats in anther year, etc.

There were a few teams that fluffed their lines in a PF or otherwise, but I think thats got way more to do with them not actually having been that good or copping injuries or whatever
Ok so these are the stats they are quoting, reordered for context. I think they stack up very favourably for us
If anything, it says that we should keep an eye on Port and Brisbane, and not really anyone else

Id argue the 5 that actually lost, are pretty different to us in terms of experience, skill and profile.
  • Geelong 2019 is comparable, but they lost to Richmond who were a juggernaut
  • Freo 2015 was not so experienced and lost to Hawthors who were a juggernaut
  • And the 2005 WCE team was neck andneck with sydney and won it the next year anyway
  • the other 2 are a lifetime ago. One was richmond who collapsed like a soufle, and the other was WCE who lost to the end of the awesome hawks era, and went on to win 2 flags

Good start and won (6)

Melbourne 2021 (11-1, minor premiers, premiers)

Hawthorn 2013 (11-1, minor premiers, premiers)

Geelong 2011 (12-0, finished 2nd, premiers)

Geelong 2009 (12-0, finished 2nd, premiers)

Hawthorn 2008 (11-1, finished 2nd, premiers)

Essendon 2000 (12-0, minor premiers, premiers)

Lost to another 11/12 win team in GF (3)

Collingwood 2011 (11-1, minor premiers, lost grand final)

St Kilda 2009 (12-0, minor premiers, lost grand final)

Geelong 2008 (11-1, minor premiers, lost grand final)

Actually lost (5)

Geelong 2019 (11-1, minor premiers, lost preliminary final)

Fremantle 2015 (11-1, minor premiers, lost preliminary final)

West Coast 2005 (11-1, finished 2nd, lost grand final)

Richmond 1995 (11-1, finished 3rd, lost preliminary final)

West Coast 1991 (12-0, minor premiers, lost grand final)

Can someone tell me how a bigger player like De Goey standing his ground and making contact in a split second late hit warrants 3 weeks, but Kosi Pickett turning himself into an airborne hyper sonic missile with direct head contact warrants 2 weeks?

Maybe I’ve been watching too much hockey but the overreaction to this makes me think I’m living in bizarro world.

I think 3 weeks is right for JDG but I still shutter every time I see a replay of Pickett. When I saw Pickett's for the first time I assumed 5 weeks.

Absolutely outrageous he only got 2, but then again if the WCE lad got up and played on then maybe JDG only gets 1 or 2.

yes, we live on planet clickbait

Do you think the kid could see Jordy coming?
Given that JDG was in contact with the ground at the time of contact and left the ground only after impact, I think its a relevant question
Look, I shouldn't have stated Jordy aimed for his head, but he certainly chose to bump and make it count, and I don't believe his split second thinking included taking into account that the kid would lessen impact by bracing for it. The kid may have seen Jordy coming but perhaps didn't believe he was lining him up at head high level for a wipe out.

Look, I shouldn't have stated Jordy aimed for his head, but he certainly chose to bump and make it count, and I don't believe his split second thinking included taking into account that the kid would lessen impact by bracing for it. The kid may have seen Jordy coming but perhaps didn't believe he was lining him up at head high level for a wipe out.
Look, I agree JDG has to get weeks
I just think that playing on instinct, he would have been in that situation many times - even at training - and done the same thing and it would have been a regulation shoulder-to-shoulder footy bump. The cross the body handball and leading with the face has been unlucky for jordy

I assume it was because Bailey Smith was not concussed, but the potential to decapitate him was definitely there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I agree JDG has to get weeks
I just think that playing on instinct, he would have been in that situation many times - even at training - and done the same thing and it would have been a regulation shoulder-to-shoulder footy bump. The cross the body handball and leading with the face has been unlucky for jordy
Others wouldn't have done what he did. That's why it was him rather than some other teammate. He is like the beagle I walk daily. Perfectly amicable creature, usually reasonably obedient, but at some point when in the vicinity of food, his normal brain gives over entirely to the food centred one, and he becomes a dog on a mission, unresponsive to any consequences presented to him or efforts to dissuade him from his chosen path.

Jordy switches into these little phases in his life where pleasure or the careless execution of an ultimately unsavoury football act assume dominance over the part of his brain usually exercising a healthy level of self control over his behaviour. You don't see Scott Pendlebury lining up blokes in this manner, any more than you could imagine him filming himself in compromised positions while on holiday.

Jordy is Jordy, and though he obviously works overtime at trying to remain on the side of goodness and decency, there are times he lets his guard down, or in this case raises it up. For better or worse, he is what he is.

Last edited:

Because he concussed him. Various things increase the suspension and one of them is the impact.

Others wouldn't have done what he did. That's why it was him rather than some other teammate. He is like the beagle I walk daily. Perfectly amicable creature, usually reasonably obedient, but at some point when in the vicinity of food, his normal brain gives over entirely to the food centred one, and he becomes a dog on a mission, unresponsive to any consequences presented to him or efforts to dissuade him from his chosen path.

Jordy switches into these little phases in his life where pleasure or the careless execution of an ultimately unsavoury football act assume dominance over the part of his brain usually exercising a healthy level of self control over his behaviour. You don't see Scott Pendlebury lining up blokes in this matter, any more than you could imagine him filming himself in compromised positions while on holiday.

Jordy is Jordy, and though he obviously works overtime at trying to remain on the side of good and decency, there are times he lets his guard down, or in this case raises it up. For better or worse, he is what he is.
agreed

I laughed when I read this. When the beagles are flying they can put in nearly 60K into the stadium and they had 40K....and from the look of it going to and from the ground, there were a lot of people in pie colours. Now, I did notice that a lot of people didnt wear their colours but it still felt like a third were pie supporters.

The so-called overpriced "sporting lounge" where I was sitting had a huge pie contingent.

I think Cane must be up for some sportsman's nights at the end of the season....

Do you seriously think Jordie expected the kid to brace for impact? I doubt that he had any thought in his head other than connecting hard with the guy's head on the way through. I love De Goey as a player, but Cornes was right in saying the guy has found a means to upset nearly every season and has not achieved what might be expected of a player of his talent at age 27.
That’s bullshit TGG, Jordy has never been a sniper, there’s no way he would have been intentionally going for the head.

That’s bullshit TGG, Jordy has never been a sniper, there’s no way he would have been intentionally going for the head.
I did qualify my post later but obviously you haven't seen it. Whatever Jordy was intending to do, I doubt that many if any players on our list would do the same in his situation. It was extremely careless and utterly stupid and I am sure Jordy had a fair idea that he would not be making appropriate contact with the player.

I did qualify my post later but obviously you haven't seen it. Whatever Jordy was intending to do, I doubt that many if any players on our list would do the same in his situation. It was extremely careless and utterly stupid and I am sure Jordy had a fair idea that he would not be making appropriate contact with the player.
It’s a split second decision, the players don’t have the luxury of slowing down the play like we do when we’re watching on TV. Beau does the same thing all the time but executes better, it’s a footy action that went wrong, we shouldn’t be hammering him about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back