Autopsy Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn mauls Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

It changed the dynamic of our forward line completely. That isn't tripe.

It made us far harder to man up on.
McKenzie into the game provided far more than Breust did.

Just because breust is a champion of the club, does not mean his output in the game was good. He was pedestrian for most of the first half.
And within 30 seconds of the restart of the second half he kicked the goal which propelled us towards the win.

He didn't "cost us" in any way, shape or form. His injury was unfortunate, but the dynamic (it's the feel, the vibe, it's Mabo) didn't suddenly alter.

And the miss in the second quarter was just that. It certainly wasn't game changing.

Here's the opposite angle. Tackles him around the waist and both his arms are free. Brocky being there doesn't help as he collides into his back. The umpires didn't seem to have a problem with it and didn't even call it a free kick so who knows. This is going to be an interesting one from the MRO.

No malice in that tackle whatsoever, clearly a football accident which although unfortunate, happens.

Issue being the MRO have lost feel for the game amd when you add the Sicily and Hawthorn tax who knows what chook lotto numbers will come up.

For those interested in the effects of ground size, it’s small but it is there.

My view is that the contested aspect of the game is the same but defending the width of the ground at the same time as having extra length is a factor for brisbane because of the way they play. There is around 800sq metres more turf to cover on the mcg than the Gabba. It’s not nothing. We went around brisbanes defence so many times using switches across the ground. Teams don’t do that to them at the Gabba.

WCE had the same issue at Subiaco. The Web was brilliant in 2015, until a wider ground meant the Hawks sliced it to pieces in the GF; Brisbane need to develop a means of widening their own defence, the way WCE did in 2018 (though Optus Stadium having similar dimensions to the MCG helped).

Just excellent stuff. Macdonald looks an absolute baller. Great to see Kozi have a impact.

Mitch Lewis is up there with one of the greatest late draft picks of all time. Pick 76 for this show! Amazing!

Last edited:
Hasn’t been mentioned here that I can see but I thought Moorey played a good game too. 25 possessions, two goals. I was on Moore watch today for some reason and he is such a hard worker thought I’d give him a shout out amid all the other shout outs.

I spent the evening watching Death of a Salesman. The rest of the audience was subdued as they left the theatre. Not me! I was still abuzz!

Some overreactions on Bramble’s game today

I have been a critic of his as he does take short steps and make half attempts at tackles and aerial contests

But Sam likes him because he is nimble and he can break lines with his run and carry. When you have 4-5 blokes that can run it out of defence you become less predictable to the opposition and how they set up defensively

It is really up to Bramble how long he stays in the side as it will be his disposal efficiency that determines it, and the improvement of his defensive game

Ward is better in every facet of the game.

We have too many other talented youngsters (Ward and Mackenzie) and better senior players (CJ and Wingard) out of the side currently. He shouldn't be playing over any of them.

Bramble probably has to go out for Ward. Stiff with the team balance finally feeling right, but it’s one swap where it is a real upgrade for us. Ward’s class kicking inside 50 will be a good return.

Also think Cama has been great as the sub, and would keep him there until we have a full time spot in the midfield rotation for him if a player goes down to injury/suspension. They might want to play him some extended minutes at some point though

I don’t think we need to qualify it every time someone compares Day to Hird (which is starting to happen a lot). It’s patently obvious that they’re referring to Hird’s football which was elite. I consider it a huge compliment to the kid.
Good point.

I’m finding it hard to forgive and forget.

Loving Will Day.

Some overreactions on Bramble’s game today

I have been a critic of his as he does take short steps and make half attempts at tackles and aerial contests

But Sam likes him because he is nimble and he can break lines with his run and carry. When you have 4-5 blokes that can run it out of defence you become less predictable to the opposition and how they set up defensively

It is really up to Bramble how long he stays in the side as it will be his disposal efficiency that determines it, and the improvement of his defensive game.
Nah, I was all for him staying in the side when he was having an impact but he's been disappointing for a few weeks now.

Wasn't standing out in any of the running stats, went at 50% DE, average metres gained, no defensive element to his game. I like it when he's providing overlap and run but he was just about the only player today that wasn't doing much of that.

Ward is younger, better, more versatile.

Right now it’s colder in Brisbane than it is in Melbourne. During the day it’s a lot warmer but at night it still gets cold. At their training base it is 8 degrees. In Melbourne it is 13 degrees. Small sample of course but night in winter where their training ground is gets pretty cold. I doubt very much 16 degrees is so cold that it affects their performance. Also, it’s more humid in Melbourne than brisbane and Ipswich (where the train) on average at this time of year. It’s the dry season up here.

Present humidity in Brisbane and Ipswich is in the high 90s, in Melbourne it’s 70%. Even in the dry season it’s still more humid up there. And it wasn’t 16° today - that was the forecast maximum that never came close to eventualising - the feels like temperature was about 10° and sitting at the G it was easily 1-2° colder than that. Was a bloody cold day.

A few folks thought we'd really struggle this year and maybe claim a few medium-sized scalps towards the end of the season. Seems we're rolling into the bye well ahead, having learnt a lot week to week and building nicely.

I don't think anyone predicted that we'd have team selection headaches with young players that need game time struggling to be included in the 1s and the likes of Wingard and CJ being overtaken so quickly.

Meticulous list management is the hallmark of a very professional sports club, as much as Clarkson studied other sports for inspiration it remains something that he never learnt the real value of and had too much influence in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming you were at the game but it appeared on tv hippwood was giving him the slip. Scrim was seemly supposed to be playing deep but still seemed to get sucked up the ground and not get back. Felt we actually moved weddle onto hippwood in the last or maybe late in the third (can’t recall). Scrim then went onto McCarthy I think. It’s really hard to tell this on tv so I might have it wrong but that seemed to be what was happening.
Scrim played on all the talls at some stage during the game. That is what was important. More responsibility more accountability. He had a solid game from what i saw. All the defenders lost contests during the game

It changed the dynamic of our forward line completely. That isn't tripe.

It made us far harder to man up on.
McKenzie into the game provided far more than Breust did.

Just because breust is a champion of the club, does not mean his output in the game was good. He was pedestrian for most of the first half.

Breust is equal 12th in the goalkicking with 24 and take into account Lewis missed a good chunk of the start of the season. Breust is a opportunist and his leadership and loyalty to our club is invaluable. He has enough credits in the bank to have a off game

Just very proud. This team loves winning. We’ll play finals next year
The ‘tanking‘ conversation is an embarrassment for the journalists who brought that up after just one game. HFC have not finished on the bottom of the ladder for many many decades. It’s not who we are. Our long heritage is all about winning.

BTW, I’m really impressed with Sam as our coach. With everything that’s been going on, he’s been able to create a fun atmosphere for the players & keep this group together. His post match press conferences are fantastic!

Correlation is not causation, and we'll likely have quite a few more chances to test the theory, but is it possible that Hawthorn wins every time Donald Trump gets indicted?

March 30th: Trump indicted in New York case regarding campaign finance violations concerning hush money payments to a pr0n star.
March 31st: Hawthorn 11.14 (80) - North Melbourne 9.7 (61)

Thursday, June 8th: Trump himself breaks the news that his lawyers have informed him that he has been indicted. The following day, Friday the 9th, the indictment is unsealed.
June 10th: Hawthorn 15.8 (98) - Brisbane 11.7 (73)

I don't know about what you lot are thinking, but we might still be in for a sneaky chance at a flag here.

I'm certainly willing to test it as often as it takes.

I don't think anyone predicted that we'd have team selection headaches with young players that need game time struggling to be included in the 1s and the likes of Wingard and CJ being overtaken so quickly.
Wingard yes due to his age, but no way anyone has gone past CJ just yet. Played some average footy earlier this year nursing an injury, but his best football is really good. Certainly best 22.

Correlation is not causation, and we'll likely have quite a few more chances to test the theory, but is it possible that Hawthorn wins every time Donald Trump gets indicted?

March 30th: Trump indicted in New York case regarding campaign finance violations concerning hush money payments to a pr0n star.

Thursday, June 8th: Trump himself breaks the news that his lawyers have informed him that he has been indicted. The following day, Friday the 9th, the indictment is unsealed.

I don't know about what you lot are thinking, but we might still be in for a sneaky chance at a flag here.

Sounds like we are locked in to win the 2024 flag unless the premiership is now decided by mail in Ballots from dead people. #conspiracytheory#allarefoundtobetrueinsideayear🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Scrim played on all the talls at some stage during the game. That is what was important. More responsibility more accountability. He had a solid game from what i saw. All the defenders lost contests during the game

A couple of his attacks on the contest were absolute top shelf. We always look sharper when the defense is balanced and he's in the side.

There's more cement in this theory than there is 100/100 current conspiracy theories doing there rounds.

Thank God for footy giving us a break from nutterdom. One of the last few bastions of undisputed reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back