Round 14 Rising Star Nomination

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I wanted Sheed to get a nomination it's good to see Lonie get recognised.

Quality kid and a player who I was keen to pick up in last year's draft but we bypassed Lonie and went with Lamb if I remember correctly.

Quoting stats doesn't tell the full tale of Lonie. He creates goals through his excellent forward pressure and work rate . I can think of four goals he set up and he's been the one to set that standard amongst the team. One coming from a smother which isn't mentioned anywhere in the stats quoted so far.

But at any rate it's not that important of a deal so I don't know why people continually get irritated at the selections.

Well done, Jack.

Stats aren't everything - I like that they're looking outside of the numbers racked up. Sheed or Graham would have been worthy (and I would've gone Sheed personally) but Lonie's done a heap of good things this year so can't complain. I'd be surprised if the other two weren't nominated this year if they keep their form up.

Well done Jack. Has deserved a nomination for a fair while now. His pressure acts and 1%ers are incredible. On top of his elite skills and score involvements.

1. Lonie was far better than his stats would suggest
2. Rising star noms have always been a weird combo of single round performance and cumulative season performance. Lonie's been outstanding all year, I'm sure Sheed will get a nom at some point for similar reasons.

For those complaining about how Sheed or Graham didn't get it, or how Lonie could get it this week ahead of them, I note with interest that in the Age voting for the weekend Lonie was voted equal-2nd best on ground with 8 votes (out of 10), Graham was voted equal-best in his game (with 2 others), receiving 7 votes, and that Sheed was rated equal-3rd best in his game, with 6 votes.

Last edited:
He should've got it last week, though I didn't watch Cameron's game. Just thought 13 possies and a goal wasn't really enough from CC, 13 and 3 is probably more in the ball park.

CC got it for consistent good performances...they tend to do that this time of year.
The week he got it wasn't his best performance, you're right.

How did Lonie not have a nom before now?
Probably because when he had what I would think was his best game (in round 5, again against Essendon, when he had 20 possessions and kicked 2 goals 3, following on from a 17 possession (11 contested), 2 goals 1, 5 tackles, 2 clearances game the week before) someone else payed a bit of a blinder that was too good to overlook (Saad got the nom that week with a 26 possie game- In hindsight Lonie looked pretty stiff to miss out that week, at least going by the numbers).

Here is the list of all those who have been nominated prior to this round and going by the Supercoach and AF scores, Tim Membrey is just as stiff as anyone to miss out this week, as his game was rated a 112 by Supercoach and 92 by AF (whatever that is, Champion Data I take it), which stacks up extremely well with those who have been nominated so far this year. Only 4 of the 14 have scored higher on Supercoach in the round they were nominated and only 3 had a higher AF score than Membrey got this week in the round they received their nom.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/rising_star_nominations

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonie was very deserving. He does a lot of things that aren't picked up on your basic stat sheet. He could have kicked a bag (kicked 1.3), but was involved in a lot of our goals.

How did Lonie not have a nom before now?

Do these clowns only look at the stats each week?

If they did that then he wouldn't have received this weeks nom.

So looking at it...who NEEDS to get a nom still.

Sheed/Graham/Andrews/De Goey who else.
Had he not done his shoulder this week, Toby McLean would have been in line for a nom had he continued his consistent projectory of the last 3 games. For someone who looks like he should be running around with the Auskickers at half time, he has looked completely at ease at this level with his poise, skill and decision-making.

Quoting stats doesn't tell the full tale of Lonie. He creates goals through his excellent forward pressure and work rate . I can think of four goals he set up and he's been the one to set that standard amongst the team. One coming from a smother which isn't mentioned anywhere in the stats quoted so far.

But at any rate it's not that important of a deal so I don't know why people continually get irritated at the selections.

Well done, Jack.
It frustrates me that people quote stats for some players when we all know that stats rarely tell the full story.

Well done to Lonie.

Well done, Jack.
St Kilda won by 110 points.....Sheed received votes from many people for being top 3/5 on ground vs Melbourne.Sheed has done more throughout the season. Lonie shouldn't have even got it infront of Graham but Sheed deserved it ahead of both.

Lonies game as a small forward was nearly as good as they get. Can you say the same about Sheed and Graham? I doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back